Another newbie..

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
4MT

Re: Another newbie..

Post by 4MT »

Aah, yes...there was a section on the original plan that had that in it, I removed it to shrink the image somewhat. I hadn't really thought about it , but seeing as how I intend only to run one loco ( my Helijan Railbus) and one of those new Bachmann motorised trollies, will I really need a fiddle yard?

Richard

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"my train of thought seems to be running late..."
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

4MT wrote: but seeing as how I intend only to run one loco ( my Helijan Railbus) and one of those new Bachmann motorised trollies, will I really need a fiddle yard?
A simple length of track to allow either vehicle to leave the yard might be nice.
The rearward track is set-up to complete a "run-round" loop in the hidden track area, so that a train entering pulling rolling stock an get to the other end of its train and leave pulling the train, rather than having to "back out"

If that is not wanted (it will be if you ever get a shunting loco (classically a Class 08) then it would make more sense to remove the point upper left and place it near the two on the right facing the same way as them, to give another siding. Without a fiddle yard the top track has very little function.

Some examples (sorry if this is too much: just say)
The top sketch is for a coal mine layout in 4ft by 1ft in N scale.
(Ignore the blue sketch it is not relevant here)

The "run round" is in the middle, allowing a loco to get to the other end of its train .
(not required for a railbus or a DMU)
The paie green are area is the fiddle yard where up to three short trains can be held, to give variety in operation.
Here the single track on the left has a pivot at its left-hand end allowing it to line up with any of three tracks.
It is a big space-saver

Here is a compact OO sketch for just 4ft, (which would allow for a 20" fiddle yards and still come out under the 6ft limit.)

Here the run-round loop is complete, but this means it has to be shorter than in your layout plan where the "other half" was "off-stage"
This would serve quite well as the terminus of a small preserved light railway, and one to three storage tracks off to the right would facilitate a variety of different little trains
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
4MT

Post by 4MT »

And I thought radio controlled submarines were technical...

I intend to study your reply and the images properly later on, probably with a large scotch for company...but for the moment, I shall content myself by saying "Thank you" for taking the time and the trouble to reply.

Richard

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Welcome Aboard 4MT.

Looks like you've settled in already !!
The only daft thing is NOT to as questions.
Starting on something small is the way to build up skills and finding
the scenic material YOU like working with.

So GO FOR IT !!

Geoff T.
4MT

Post by 4MT »

Dad-1 wrote:Welcome Aboard 4MT.

Looks like you've settled in already !!

Geoff T.
Thanks Geoff T. I'm terrible... feet up on the table, cuppa on the chair arm...oh yes, I'm settled in!

Richard

4MT

Post by 4MT »

At last...after a couple of aborted attempts due to life getting in the way, I am now about to make a start on my little layout. Hopefully, next week will see the track ballasted and a start made on some scenery. I also need to acquire a small tank loco and maybe a couple more wagons, but there's no haste for those until the track is down and finished properly.

And so...it begins.

Richard