o gauge newby 2 questions please

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Yeoman

o gauge newby 2 questions please

Post by Yeoman »

As the heading says I am moving over to O gauge for the first time and building a "small" shunting layout. I still model n gauge so everything is now huge!
Is there an easy way to couple and uncouple wagons when shunting?
I have purcahsed Peco buffer stops but they appear to sit loose on top of the rails - what have I done wrong?
Sorry if these are basic questions I have no local shop that I can rely on for any sound help.
Bigmet

Re: o gauge newby 2 questions please

Post by Bigmet »

What couplings are you using? The O gaugers I have known have all used three links with a 'pole', usually home made to taste. Any convenient rod with a formed wire hook attached to the end. Can strap a small torch on the pole if it is to be used in ill lit recesses of the layout.

The stops need to be secured, a little adhesive. O gauge largely doesn't have the convenience 'clip fit' features typical of much OO and N RTR product.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

"Is there an easy way to couple and uncouple wagons when shunting?"

There's no "industry standard" way in O gauge, yeoman.
As well as the popular three link couplings (and "the hand of God"), a range of autocoupling designs are available, each with its fans.

Different degrees of looking like real couplings, different degrees of ease of installation and reliability.

Thirteen pages of discussion, at the site below, should tell you more than you wanted to know.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... couplings/

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Most modellers in 0 gauge and above will hand couple or uncouple via a small pole to help. If you think of it, it is just like real life!
Generally it is in 00 gauge and smaller where auto coupling or semi auto coupling are common. (Tension lock is a semi automatic coupling for most layouts... Automatic if you use uncoupling ramps). This is usually due to there being less room to get a pole in to uncouple and couple.
Yes. As has been stated, buffer stops are normally as kit form and built onto the rail. 0 gauge has lovely fine detail but normally needs space. Most build small shunting layouts and join a club for a longer run, or venture into the garden.
0 gauge is quite expensive, but does thrive if you love kit or scratch building. However, there are more and more RTR items now in 0 gauge if one isn't too worried about choice.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Mountain wrote:there are more and more RTR items now in 0 gauge if one isn't too worried about choice.
Most definatly. I get to the Gaugemaster shop in Ford near beautiful and historic Arundel about once in every 3 months and they have a bewildering array of O gauge, both sets and items.
Not sure where you are located Yeoman so if a visit is not on the cards you could always peruse thier O gauge list on thier website. :)
http://www.gaugemaster.com/ogauge.html
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I kinda have one foot in 0 and the other in 00 in the form of 7mm narrow gauge... :D
O gauge is pretty expensive though, but there again, 00 gauge today is not exactly cheap... Some is though. I was impressed by this. May have put the link up before.

https://youtu.be/NPqPpRJEkOA
SyuzanVR

Post by SyuzanVR »

Wow. It's cool.