2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
nickbrad

Re: 2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Post by nickbrad »

I can already report, it was a bit of a failure. Suffered major leakage, luckily there was a tarp placed underneath especially. Time to google ideas before trying again.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Nickbrad, if at first you don't succeed...

Landscaping is now underway on the diorama. First, a honeycomb construction of card.

Followed by an infill of newspaper.

Then, plaster bandage applied liberally.

And finally, a slap of brown paint. The track bed has also had a layer of card placed to hopefully produce a shoulder for the ballast and painted. I've also applied a coat of black to the outer frame - a second coat will be needed.

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Now that looks like an elegant approach. As said at the beginning of this adventure, the diorama is an experiment on skills and techniques that can be transferred to the new Galgorm Hall build. There will be significant use of embankments and cuttings on it and this technique looks like a nice way to produce those contours.

Paul
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Disaster, not only have I had leakage, but when I checked today after letting it dry, the stuff on the river bed has shrunk to such an extent that it's pulled the soil bed up, leaving an air pocket between the river bed and blue foam. I swear that everything I touch modelling wise, turns around and bites me in the butt.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Tried another approach, using masking tape to seal the edge. Not convinced yet, still some leakage, so at this stage, I'd say not to expect a finished product, especially as morale is low. I shall keep going, even as a test bed it's had it's uses and it owes me less than a tenner at this stage. I just cannot say how it's going to turn out or even if it will be finished though
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Chin up Nickbrad, if it was easy we wouldn't have any enjoyment in the hobby. I'm sure you will get it right and you will have learned huge lessons from your mistakes. :D Just keep those posts coming, warts and all.

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

I've reached the final leg of this adventure. The greenery has now all been applied and I'm satisfied with the result. The embankments had a mix of 4mm and 6mm static grass applied and the field 2mm. Fence posts are from ratio with 1/2mm holes drilled to feed the cord through them. The foliage is a combination of blended and fine turf with a spray of yellow to represent gorse on the darker green bushes.

The track has been pinned in place and the railsides painted. Once dry I'll apply the ballast and give a weathering and job done! ><

Paul
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

That looks top notch Paul, when are you popping round to do mine?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

dioramas are great for trying new skills and techniques.
I always wanted to have a go at a snow scene, then winter diorama competition came up.
click here
It was good fun and leant a few new things.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Timbersurf, i'll be there in 5. :lol:

M.Levin, every one of those snow dioramas are superb and each with their own individual characteristics. I must log that away for a future project - Mrs C likes Christmassy things dotted about the house during festive season. :wink:

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

The track laid, ballast was applied last night and the usual mix of PVA added. I've decided against weathering it though, I think the rail sides and chairs picked out do enough to affect a weathered tone.

The diorama was being used as a test for scenics I want to apply to Galgorm Hall. It is also to serve as a diorama for wagon builds and my loco stock so here's the final piece with just such an item.

And finally in its rightful display cabinet. Even Mrs C is happy with it being there, now that is a result. :D

The only thing I might like to add to the scene is a speed sign leading off the left hand end of the diorama, has anyone any idea who supplies them?

Paul