DRS Class 68

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Phipps

Re: DRS Class 68

Post by Phipps »

Freightclonker & Powerhole sound brilliant new names.
gromit54

Post by gromit54 »

Just had a look at hattons website and they are advertising these for pre order arriving between January and March. What do we think the chances are of that happening?
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's in line with Dapol having made brisk progress from showing the EP's, to getting the decorated samples approved, for the production runs of the first group of livery variants on offer. With six weeks to go to the end of March, the output from those first production runs need to be in a container 'somewhere' by now.
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Saw a real one parked up by the siding of Norwich Thorpe last week. Tend to savour it when I see one, as Im very unlikely to own a model.
A) It looks to be a long way off being made/released &
B) if it does materialise, I have no doubt it will be near £140 or more.
Its not something Id be going bonkers for at any cost to be fair, as Ive had to be rational in the last year. Be nice to have one day, so here's hoping they'll end up in the Bargain section of Hattons by 2018/19
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

The Mid Norfolk Railway had one on visiting loan last summer and I got to slobber over one in DRS Compass livery as it passed by the residential lodge where I abode when in UK. Really nice modern looking loco.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I see that Dapol's OO class 68 is on sale, and while generally successful, there are predictably enough some livery and finish issues.

This was always going to be a challenge, because the prototype shape is 'difficult' and then has some very complex livery schemes on it. I could see that when the model was in development - quote below - and Dapol shouldn't be afraid to say that they have been pushing boundaries with this one.
Bigmet wrote:I'd play wait and see on the livery choice, until samples are shown. Whatever the prototypes look like, there's always some possibility that a livery doesn't scale down well, or that between the livery design and the body shape there is some problem in application; which then leads to a compromise simply to make the item manufacturable.

The devil really is in the detail in respect of livery application, and this class looks set to test that every way it can. The DRS loco they scanned shows colour break lines running right over compound curvature in multiple locations on the ends. Cannot see that being easy, first to map, and then to devise the tools to apply it. Might be interesting to look at the mainland European locos that are running and compare to any HO models that are available.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

gromit54 wrote:Just had a look at hattons website and they are advertising these for pre order arriving between January and March. What do we think the chances are of that happening?
2017 maybe??????????

Very nice model but as usual the armchair critics have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. It seems that when one scales down a prototype some still think that it is a scaled down prototype and not simply a model. At least they have given up on bashing the Deans Goods for a few weeks.
Ian Grant

Post by Ian Grant »

I received my pre ordered one earlier today. It cost £123 plus £4 postage. I have not had chance to inspect fully, but will be installing decoder and running in over the weekend

Ian
ElDavo

Post by ElDavo »

No idea whether it is rivet perfect and I haven't even run it yet but I received 68005 today and it looks absolutely stunning!

Cheers
Dave
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Love my model, just a shame they misaligned the printing
Attachments
Livery issues
Livery issues
_DSC0297-01-03.jpeg (82.28 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

The good side. Running is faultless. Smooth and silent. Would I buy another? Well, even with the livery issues, yes I probably would. It will surely win the model of the Year; the DRS issues will get overlooked. Doubtless dapol will correct this livery in future releases, but I think they will probably hike the price to reflect this. Very tempted to go after ScotRail version, though after hearing the biffo sound chip, I might just go for this instead.
Attachments
Good side
Good side
_DSC0302-01-01-01.jpeg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Never having seen one of these operating on the network, it's interesting to see the correct and incorrect livery rendition, so thanks for posting that. (Personally I think the incorrect side looks better aesthetically, as you see more of the streaks from the compass rose, and the cabs have differentiated treatments which adds interest.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The DRS livery is very complex, and a challenge to apply to the flat sides of something like a Class-37. The curves and bulges of the '68 are bound to present problems applying any way other than by hand masking and spraying. A brave attempt and something that may be improved in subsequent runs. Before knocking too hard the armchair critics should ask themselves what price would they be prepared to pay for a production model to exhibition standards.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
dubdee1000

Post by dubdee1000 »

Good point Bufferstop

The printing itself is fine, even the tiny details in the compass are clear. Elsewhere, all the various warning signs are well rendered. It just seems that the printing machine was misaligned when it did one side. It'll be interesting to see what dapol say about this

Just chipped mine. 4 body clips only to remove the body. Some thin card and it popped off. The wiring inside is a little alarming, not as neat as the big two and with a few seemingly bare wires wandering around. The are 5 internal switches to control lighting functions, but if you're not too bothered about the play factor and simply want headlights going forwards and taillights at the other end, leave everything as it is. The cab is lit so fitting a driver might be an idea. The cab section is loosely held in the body. Gently prise the body apart and it will come out. 3 of the 5 switches mentioned above remain accessible after the body is refitted by removing the exhaust, so you can still tinker with the lights.

Not much is in the bag of bits, just a nem coupling and a valence. Everything else has been factory fitted, so the loco will have a front end and a business end unless you modify it.

I think weighs similar to a heljan 128 and is a similar size. In contrast, there were some bits in the box that my 128 Scooby Doo came in that should have been on the loco and a similar printing error with Scooby Doo at both ends.

So, I remain very pleased with it and after the DCC fitting, this has increased. Unless you really want the play factor, I don't think the 6 function chip is essential. The 4 function hattons chip that went it mine has been fine. Cost me £125 from hattons and looking around at some of the other stuff, including those limited edition 66s and 37s at north of £160, represents extremely good value IMHO
smeghead28

Post by smeghead28 »

I do like this loco for some reason,its not a looker by any means but there is something about the DRS livery that appeals to me.
However,having missed out on the first run of them AND being reluctant to be ripped off by the ebay sellers asking nearly £200 I will either bide my time and wait for another batch or just not bother at all until it is available in the "bargain basement" ;)