DJ Models (Hattons) Class 14xx (image heavy)

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
alex3410

DJ Models (Hattons) Class 14xx (image heavy)

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:29 pm

I really like the 14xx, its a lovely little loco and i have always wanted one - i had an old Hornby one but with traction tires it never ran well and didn't last long (it was knackered when i got it 2nd hand from good old ebay). I didn't replace it as i was frustrated with its performance. When Hattons announced their 14xx (via DJ) i very quickly put down a pre order :lol: originally i went for the heavily weathered version but after my j94, which i was not overly impressed with the weathering, i switched my order to H1416 Class 14xx 0-4-2T 1409 in BR Unlined green with late crest - non weathered

This version came in the 2nd batch and mine arrived today, thought i would share some 'unboxing' photos for you all - it needs a 6 pin chip, i cant remember if i have a spare or not so wont be running for a little while.

The box
ImageUntitled by Alex, on Flickr

Instructions

Loco

Bufferstop

Re: DJ Models (Hattons) Class 14xx (image heavy)

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:58 pm

You can certainly see the difference that 35 years has made to the quality of the model. My old GMR one sits in the display case these days, despite it's later Dapol chassis. It was a poor runner with the rubber tyres, ( caused it to rock back and forth ), and a poor puller with a pair of plain wheels fitted, it just about dragged the Autocoach around with a hint of wheel slip at starting.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 pm

What a great highly detailed model. You must be very pleased with it. :)
I like the way the instruction pictures are diagrams and not photos. It makes it much easier to see.
Are all DJ models like that on thier paperwork?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:17 pm

This is what my J94 came with

They both feature a magnetic smokebox that pops off for instillation of the decoder which is a fantastic idea!

I am really pleased with it, looks fantastic! The extra detail etc however does make it feel more fragile then the Hornby offering but thats the nature of the beast.

The only thing thats bugging me at the moment is the cab doors - they open and close a nice feature but rattled around a bit while i was looking over the loco. If they really bug me when its running (which i doubt) a small touch of glue will fix it

Sails

Postby Sails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Alex,

What does it sound like when running? I had to return a DJ model (not a 14xx) because of the noise it was making.

Mark

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Dont know yet its still on my desk at work :lol:

If i get time i will see if i can get it running tonight (if i have a spare decoder). I have not yet run either this or my J94 due to the layout being rebuilt so cant comment on either - i really need to get them tested as your not the first one to ask.

While on the topic did you lubricate it before running? while looking over the instructions i noticed it asks you to do it yourself rather then it being done in the factory and says if you dont it will be noisy.

Sails

Postby Sails » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Yeah it was the J94 I returned, I did lubricate and the running in was very easy going as per their instructions. It was very noisy, buzzing and crackling away. A shame because I did like the model itself.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Without having handled or run either model I would say you are describing a mechanism that requires quite extensive running in then cleaning and re lubricating.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Howdy!
Now that looks like a real treat!
I was barely impressed with the J94 (at least according to several online reviews) but this looks much better. I'm impressed with the drive being taken to the rear axle too, I first saw this with my Lenz BR66 (a German 2-6-4T) and it added an awful lot of power & traction.
I hope yours runs so well.
Cheers,
John.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:41 pm

So i made a point of running both locos to make sure they are ok, i only have one spare 6 pin decoder at the moment so needed to switch it between them, the magnetic smoke box door is blooming fantastic, i will get another at a local show on Saturday or online if they dont have one.

as to the locos the 14xx is a lovely loco and looks brilliant running around the layout, it has been a little picky on one section of track and on inspection the join in the rails of this bit of track is a little off (the iffy bit of track feels ever so slightly lower then the two bits next to it, i think it might be a Bachmann bit of track - the only bit on the layout- but need to pull it up to check).

Anyway it ran nicely, its not exactly quiet but after running in i am happy enough with it.

The J94 sounded allot louder to me, its hard to explain but i think its more of a growl which might mean its more noticeable? its nothing drastic and should get better with more running in. I like it, i am just still a little disappointed on the weathering, i am glad i opted for the standard 14xx. I might sell it on to get a different livery or instead repaint it.

Anyway i didn't want to trust myself to judge it, especially when you take into account my layout and i have not been at all concerned with reducing noise levels, so i installed a decibel app on my phone to check the sound levels.

I placed the phone on a platform next to the track and recorded average sound levels - this would then take into account the louder volume when the loco passed by the phone. Scores taken after running in and oiling as per instructions.

14xx - 58.8
J94 - 62.7

to give a comparison my Hornby J15 - 54.7

the J15 was the only loco i had to hand and interestingly has a tender which gives it additional wheels so figured it would the loudest of the lot.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:19 pm

alex3410 wrote:The only thing thats bugging me at the moment is the cab doors - they open and close a nice feature but rattled around a bit while i was looking over the loco. If they really bug me when its running (which i doubt) a small touch of glue will fix it

CEASE AND DECIST! :lol:
Instead of using glue to permantly hold the cab doors and ineffect possibly damaging the loco, I have something called BLACK TACK. Its basically like blue tack (Blu-tak?) but more pliable and a little more sitcky. Excellent for non-invasive holding and the like and can just be removed if you want to.
PM your address and ill send you some if you like. It comes in a strip about and inch wide so around 10-15cms will see you good for quite some time. :)
Free of charge! :D
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:42 pm

An interesting point for me to note here is the warning that HF 'Track Cleaners' are not recommended with coreless motors, and may even cause damage.

As I am running conventional DC with the Gaugemaster HF2, this is of some concern to me.

Up to now, I have been purchasing some new locomotives, knowing that DC-running is fine, but also assuming that the HF2 is also good to use. After all, it's not as if I can't take it offline with any ease.

Should I now be prepared to made additional enquiries before any further expensive loco purchases?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Sorry Alex I missed the pictures post so just wanted to say thanks for the link to them.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 pm

@end2end - that's a good idea & thank you for the offer I think I have some of it somewhere from a previous project so will need to dig it out! I will see how I get on first, if the doors stay still with normal use I will leave it be - the age old if it ain't broke don't fix it :lol:

Re the Gaugemaster HF2, I have never used one but I vaguely remember reading a solution was to place it behind a toggle switch so that it could be turned on / off but I don't think I would trust myself to remember to switch it! & it would mean removing all of the coreless motor locos from the layout before you switch it on.

Hope you find a workaround that you can live with as it's a difficult issue which will only get worse as more locos go coreless- at least you found out now before you fried a shiny new loco :lol:

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:17 pm

I'd glue them shut, but then most of my locos get a lot more 'damaged' than just glueing the doors shut.

"Pretty but noisy" seems to be the default review on these things. As for coreless motors, DJM's response on the forum he chooses to engage with amounted to buy another controller as he knows best what's good for you so you're getting coreless.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “Other Model Railway Manufacturers and Gauges”