bachmann loco

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
casablanca

bachmann loco

Postby casablanca » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:49 am

Hi guys bought a bachmann hall loco namley kinlet hall which is dcc ready it was running fine but now it wont go backwards any ides would be helpful

GWR_fan

Re: bachmann loco

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:11 am

I would remove the body and check for a mechanical obstruction preventing reverse running. On Bachmann I have had a fine pickup wiper break off and lodge against the wheel allowing direction in one way only.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:51 am

Also check blanking plug and the wires around the PCB.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Did it run backwards without problems when first received? (I imagine so as you describe the running as 'fine'.)

If so, what have you since done to the loco? Have you fitted a decoder? Often a backtrack through your own actions is the quickest way to seeing what has changed, and may have caused the problem you now observe.

casablanca

Postby casablanca » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks for your replies ill do those checks

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Is it new or second hand ?
Pete.

casablanca

Postby casablanca » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi perterm it is second hand but looks new like i said it worked fine for a week or so it was already dcc chipped it runs smooth going foward start away on step 3 runs up to full speed no problem but wheh i try to go in reverse it stops dead it got me beat

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 am

If it runs forwards OK but won't move or attempt to move in reverse and you can find no mechanical reason, it could be the decoder. Can you remove the decoder and try it on DC or substitute another decoder ?
Pete.

casablanca

Postby casablanca » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:59 am

Ok ill try that

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:02 am

Simple first thing to do before removing the decoder, attempt a decoder reset if your DCC system can perform this. You will need to know the decoder identity or have the decoder manual to find out what the reset procedure is.

A reset returns the decoder to address 3, and restores factory default settings, so if the decoder got an instruction corrupted it should restore normal operation. Always worth a try as it is a lot less effort than body removal to access the decoder physically.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:17 pm

sometimes i have had to reset chips multiple times before it actually seems to go through - make sure track and wheels are clean as well

Jburr5085

Postby Jburr5085 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 pm

This will sound stupid...
but have you checked that the switch isn't in neutral. Iv'e spent a good half hour before checking my wiring before I figured it out. :roll:
JTB "I'll have a go but I must warn you that I am incompetent"

casablanca

Postby casablanca » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks guys for all your replies its turns out it was a faulty decoder strange that i tried in another loco just for laughs and guess what it worked fine electronics never fail to amaze me

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Taking the electronics apart and reassembling often cures random problems. Standard practice with the IBM PC was to take out all of the cards, vac the bottom of the case including the card slots, clean all the edge connectors and put it back together. Would clear loads of faults that would take hours to have diagnosed. Around 1983/4 Acorn were in so much financial difficulty that they skipped the gold plating stage on a whole batch of BBC B motherboards. This gave rise to odd problems like failing to boot, not initialising eproms etc. The official advice was to lift up the front of the case, prop it up with a matchbox stood on end, then quickly pull the matchbox out. The resultant jolt would often re-seat the eproms in their unplated sockets.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

NakatsuHime

Postby NakatsuHime » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Similar advice from a similar era, but to solve a different problem :

If your Amiga was having regular odd Guru Meditations, it could be one or more custom chips losing contact with their associated sockets.
Too nervous to take it apart? Then hold it upside down and drop it onto your bed / some pillows.
The shock would help reseat them.

Silly advice?
Nope. Sometimes worked.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”