Oxford Rail Wagons

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
User avatar
rosenblad
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby rosenblad » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:24 pm

D605Eagle' I agree entirely with your view on the couplings! The reason is that they use the Hornby type (or equivalent) with the long-reach hook. Remove the original, and stick a Bachmann type in the NEM-pocket instead, and you solve the problem! I do the same with all Hornby models with NEM-shafts too!
Carpe Diem!

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4305
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:23 pm

I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2547
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Mountain wrote:I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.

Dapol still make and print their wagons in the UK, so I guess there is an option if you wish to support UK industry...always a good thing in my mind! However there wagons are not very accurate dimentionally.

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4305
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Once contacted the company regarding two seperate issues and was dissapointed.
Was the opposite of going the extra mile!

Streaks and Teaks
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: St Helens

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
Mountain wrote:I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.

Dapol still make and print their wagons in the UK, so I guess there is an option if you wish to support UK industry...always a good thing in my mind! However there wagons are not very accurate dimentionally.


Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. The couplings arn't great on them and the hooks easily come off.

User avatar
Mountain
Posts: 4305
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm
Location: Somewhere in Wales, UK.

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Regarding coupling hooks. There is an art to gently squeezing the retaining bit of the hook to stop them coming off. Too much and they cease. Too little and they still come off.
I had the odd one or two via Smallbrook Studio kits, though they are or will be redundant as I now make my own couplings for 7mm narrow gauge use instead of using tension locks.

Pennine MC
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:23 am

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Pennine MC » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:59 am

Streaks and Teaks wrote:Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. .


I wouldn't swear they're the same actual moulds, not after 50 odd years of use, but some of them are definitely of identical appearance

Streaks and Teaks
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: St Helens

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Postby Streaks and Teaks » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 pm

Pennine MC wrote:
Streaks and Teaks wrote:Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. .


I wouldn't swear they're the same actual moulds, not after 50 odd years of use, but some of them are definitely of identical appearance


Maybe recastings? Dapol did own the rights to Wrenn (who had the rights to Dublo) I believe before selling them on to the final incarnation of Wrenn (Maybe the only sold the locos but kept the wagons).

The history of who owns what and when in model railways is such a mine field =p.


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests