Oxford Rail Wagons

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
rosenblad

Re: Oxford Rail Wagons

Post by rosenblad »

D605Eagle' I agree entirely with your view on the couplings! The reason is that they use the Hornby type (or equivalent) with the long-reach hook. Remove the original, and stick a Bachmann type in the NEM-pocket instead, and you solve the problem! I do the same with all Hornby models with NEM-shafts too!
Carpe Diem!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Mountain wrote:I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.
Dapol still make and print their wagons in the UK, so I guess there is an option if you wish to support UK industry...always a good thing in my mind! However there wagons are not very accurate dimentionally.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Once contacted the company regarding two seperate issues and was dissapointed.
Was the opposite of going the extra mile!
Streaks and Teaks

Post by Streaks and Teaks »

D605Eagle wrote:
Mountain wrote:I found out, while the factory still exists near Swansea, the production is in China. Moving production abroad is a concern as the less we make in our own country, the more inward our economy becomes.
Dapol still make and print their wagons in the UK, so I guess there is an option if you wish to support UK industry...always a good thing in my mind! However there wagons are not very accurate dimentionally.
Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. The couplings arn't great on them and the hooks easily come off.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Regarding coupling hooks. There is an art to gently squeezing the retaining bit of the hook to stop them coming off. Too much and they cease. Too little and they still come off.
I had the odd one or two via Smallbrook Studio kits, though they are or will be redundant as I now make my own couplings for 7mm narrow gauge use instead of using tension locks.
Pennine MC

Post by Pennine MC »

Streaks and Teaks wrote: Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. .
I wouldn't swear they're the same actual moulds, not after 50 odd years of use, but some of them are definitely of identical appearance
Streaks and Teaks

Post by Streaks and Teaks »

Pennine MC wrote:
Streaks and Teaks wrote: Some of them are from the moulds of the old Hornby Dublo I have read, how much this is true I don't know. .
I wouldn't swear they're the same actual moulds, not after 50 odd years of use, but some of them are definitely of identical appearance
Maybe recastings? Dapol did own the rights to Wrenn (who had the rights to Dublo) I believe before selling them on to the final incarnation of Wrenn (Maybe the only sold the locos but kept the wagons).

The history of who owns what and when in model railways is such a mine field =p.