E2e's 2017 4 Wheel Coach Competition Entry

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Roger (RJ)

Re: E2e's 2017 4 Wheel Coach Competition Entry

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Board layout and circuit looks OK to me. The bridge rectifier takes care of reverse polarity on the input from the track.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

You have the 1k resistor after the bridge rectifier! I thought it was before, on the AC side (to act as a voltage dropper, as the AC voltage is too high)
Wait till you get the components before designing veroboard layout (may not be the size you expect)
You may be able to fit bridge rectifier like a diamond (only 1 cut needed)
The capacitor is "Polarity sensitive", ensure + on it goes to positive
2 wires do not go into 1 hole - light bar negative and link need to be on 2 different holes (you would have worked that out at the construction phase, but plenty of spare holes to choose from)
@alex3410 - polarity on ac does not matter, rotating carriage will have no effect
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for the confirmation Roger :D So it doesn't matter which way round on the track they go either. Great stuff!
Hopefully I will have something to show in the next few days once the postie brings me the final pieces :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Post by End2end »

A little more explanation needed I think.
TimberSurf wrote:You have the 1k resistor after the bridge rectifier! I thought it was before, on the AC side (to act as a voltage dropper, as the AC voltage is too high)
Ahh I was going by this diagram in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZ6Jj3OoK8
EJcircuit.JPG
EJcircuit.JPG (10.95 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
TimberSurf wrote:Wait till you get the components before designing veroboard layout (may not be the size you expect)
In my drawing I have used 6 x 6 but I can go upto 8 holes wide and 14 holes long but this length would lower the capacitor under the coach so there is some room to grow the board if I need to. It was more a case of "how can I make my original 8 x 14 board smaller? :idea:
TimberSurf wrote: You may be able to fit bridge rectifier like a diamond (only 1 cut needed)
The bridge rectifier is actually circular. I made it square in the drawing just for my benefit but this is the part I'm waiting for at the moment.
TimberSurf wrote:The capacitor is "Polarity sensitive", ensure + on it goes to positive
Will do ;)
TimberSurf wrote:2 wires do not go into 1 hole - light bar negative and link need to be on 2 different holes (you would have worked that out at the construction phase, but plenty of spare holes to choose from)
Funny about this one Timbersurf.
As the 4 wheelers have holes in the floor either side in the middle of the length of the coach where I will push up the wires, I can move the output wires to the lighting bar by one hole on the positive and a choice of 5 holes for the negative and still be close enough to the wiring holes in the coach. I think that's going to make it much easier. :)

If anything is wrong please do point it out. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Leave the resistor as you have shown. I have seen it on the AC side before, but its probably better after, as it will limit the inrush to the cap on power up.
Rotating the "round" bridge rectifier by 45 degrees, so in plan view, leads form a diamond, can sometimes orientate the tracks for easier access.
If the Capacitor is not mounted on the board (not tight, but with some leads left long), you can probably fit it on 4x4! (also depends if you have ordered axial or radial lead type)
It's hard to imagine exactly were on the carriage you intend to put the electronics, but I still think loosing the veroboard and wiring the components to each other may yet have some merit, if you are really stuck for space.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for the reply Timbersurf. :)
TimberSurf wrote:It's hard to imagine exactly were on the carriage you intend to put the electronics
Underneath the coach in between the running boards. Theres a large void where a more detailed wagon or coach would have it's gubbins. It has some small diagonal supports (IN BLUE) at the side that almost split the bottom up into 3 areas. The largest, middle part (RED BOX) being big enough for ther 8 x 14 board but the actual full length of the void (YELLOW BOX) is 67mm. Unfortunatly it would make anything underneath the coach lower because of the diagonal supports if the whole void were to be used and would also hit the axles or wheels.
4WCInteriors19b.JPG
4WCInteriors19b.JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

OK so moving on.
Firstly temporarily pushing some of the componants through a larger board to make sure everything fits as in my 6 x 6 hole diagram.
4WCElectronics1sm.JPG
4WCElectronics1sm.JPG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Then seeing how each will fit on the 6 x 6 hole boards.
4WCElectronics2sm.JPG
4WCElectronics2sm.JPG (28.34 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Drilling out some holes on the rear of the vero board, cutting the tracks to isolate some of them for the rectifier.
4WCElectronics3sm.JPG
4WCElectronics3sm.JPG (27.2 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Making sure alongside my diagram. (This is the rear of the board so the track cuts are mirrored to the diagram)
4WCElectronics4sm.JPG
4WCElectronics4sm.JPG (41.56 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Adding the rectifier.
4WCElectronics5sm.JPG
4WCElectronics5sm.JPG (35.88 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
More to follow....
Last edited by End2end on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

A close up of the positions of the rectifier and resistor.
4WCElectronics6sm.JPG
4WCElectronics6sm.JPG (26.82 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
The legs of the rectifier and where it will be soldered.
4WCElectronics7sm.JPG
4WCElectronics7sm.JPG (30.5 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
2 pictures with the capacitor now also soldered in place.
4WCElectronics8sm.JPG
4WCElectronics8sm.JPG (34.05 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
4WCElectronics9sm.JPG
4WCElectronics9sm.JPG (33.8 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Next to add is the pick up springs and make the wheels conductive.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

So now onto making the wheels conductive. I did toy with the idea of conductive paint but went with a much simpler design of using kitchen / tin foil.
So first off I had to remove one of the wheels from the axle. This is easily done if you have a back to back gauge by standing the axle on its end and excerting pressure downwards on the lower wheel. Sometimes the plastic bush gets stuck on the axle so may need pulling off seperatly once the wheel has come off.
4WCWheels1sm.JPG
4WCWheels1sm.JPG (27.6 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Here it is seperated into the componant parts I need including the small black bush. The metal rod that can be seen is actually an old metal clothes hanger I cut up and fits perfectly into the middle of the wheel to push out the bush. :idea:
4WCWheels3sm.JPG
4WCWheels3sm.JPG (28.82 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
The next 3 pictures show the method for adding the kitchen / tin foil.
Firstly the small strip can be seen at the bottom of the picture.
4WCWheels4sm.JPG
4WCWheels4sm.JPG (25.06 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Next the foil can be seen folded in half twice.
4WCWheels5sm.JPG
4WCWheels5sm.JPG (26.72 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
And the twice folded foil added to the bush by pushing half of it through the middle and folding the other half over the outside.
4WCWheels6sm.JPG
4WCWheels6sm.JPG (24.79 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
More to follow....
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

The foiled bush now gets pushed back into the wheel making sure both "legs" of the foil go through the hole.
4WCWheels7sm.JPG
4WCWheels7sm.JPG (26.19 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Now pushed home in the wheel and the pick up spring added to the axle before reconstructing the full wheel set.
4WCWheels8sm.JPG
4WCWheels8sm.JPG (29.95 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
And the finished conductive wheel set with any excess foil removed from the outside of the wheel.
4WCWheels9sm.JPG
4WCWheels9sm.JPG (26.51 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
Now repeat, in my case 9 more times. :lol:
I hope the descriptions and pictures are easy to follow if you are considering adding "powered from track" lighting on DCC without a decoder.
One thing I have noticed is that I have a small common point (flat) screwdriver end on my soldering iron which seems a little too big for the job so if you have one I would reccommend trying this project with a pointed ended soldering iron instead.
Do please let us know if try this out and you have a pointed end soldering iron and how it works out. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Fascinating stuff!

Looks rather fiddly but you have made a good job of it, have you tested the connectivity of the wheels with your mod? Just thought it might be an idea before you do the lot!

I have a fine tip for my iron but it never seems to get hot enough to melt anything, when i get around to trying this I might have to give it another try.

Thank you for all the photos and detailed write up it's really interesting to follow
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Interesting 'stuff'
Looking forward to running tests.

Geoff T.
Boïschaut

Post by Boïschaut »

Dad-1 wrote:Interesting 'stuff'
Looking forward to running tests.

Geoff T.
Me too ! :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

alex3410 wrote:have you tested the connectivity of the wheels with your mod? Just thought it might be an idea before you do the lot!
I have a fine tip for my iron but it never seems to get hot enough to melt anything, when i get around to trying this I might have to give it another try.
Thank you for all the photos and detailed write up it's really interesting to follow
Thanks for the comments members. :)
One thing I omitted from the description which is paramount. Make sure when replacing the wheels sets that they pick up power from SEPERATE TRACKS! :!:
Just to reply to your posts alex. Yes the connectivity is fine although sometimes I get a buzzing noise when testing a newly made up coach but it's just where the solder has leaked onto another track on the vero board because of the big soldering iron tip and doesn't take long to fix.

I think you may need a hotter soldering iron. Mine runs at 400 degress-ish as it's a more pro Weller one. On some irons the tip dictates the temperature so if you have more tips perhaps try experiementing with them to see if any run hotter. :idea:

I now have 2 complete working coaches although they still need the passengers.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

I went digging in a box last night that I knew had a few loose coal wagons in but little did I realise that I had another 4 wheel coach in there totalling 6. :shock:
I will need to get more of the seats if I'm to complete a full rake of 6 as I used up all I had in the first 5 coaches but if not I will push on to get the 5 finished in time.......to win :D :lol:
I also made the decision to halt work on these until a new smaller solder tip turns up that I ordered last night. I think my tip is just slightly too big and thus the solder is leaking to other tracks on the vero board sometimes.
Coincidently in the box was also a Wimpy van which now has it's picture in the "And the next photo will have" thread as a red van was requested. :) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15101&p=623451#p623451

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building