The BNR (another way)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: The BNR (another way)

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:36 am

It looks like the BNR are employing ladies, but my eyes may be deceiving me.
That person with the hat at a jaunty angle facing the other way has a small waist
and nice hips .......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Dad-1 wrote:It looks like the BNR are employing ladies, but my eyes may be deceiving me.
That person with the hat at a jaunty angle facing the other way has a small waist
and nice hips ....... Geoff T.

It gets quite windy up there at Globble Island, so I'm assuming that his trousers were billowing out at the time of the photo :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:59 pm

A recent upsurge in ISO container traffic has meant that the BNR's two 50 foot container wagons have been brought out of store. Both of them were, however, regularly derailing, causing significant delays to services. Initially the engineering department put this down to their lack of weight, when running unloaded. Extra weight was therefore added, but the derailments continued. The tiny flanges on their small wheels were the next items to come under suspicion.

While attemping to replace the wheels in one wagon, the workshop found that a bogie on the most troublesome wagon had been fitted with brass bearings. On closer examination, it was clear that these bearings were misaligned. They had been carelessly pushed into the bogie frames with great heat and force by an apprentice many years ago, when the wagons were first converted from ex BR 60 foot ones.

BadBogie.JPG
BadBogie.JPG (51.47 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

The only solution was to fit a new bogie, which was eventually tracked down. The bogie pivots had to be drilled out, but this destroyed the fixing mechanism. The apprentice, who messed up the bogie in the first place, partially redeemed himself and suggested fixing a large screw from the stores into the open end of the bogie fixing rivet.

NewPivot.JPG
NewPivot.JPG (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

The result looks quite neat and also adds a little weight to the wagons. Trial running will start during the next week, which will hopefully resolve the issues with carrying ISO containers.

Mounted.JPG
Mounted.JPG (51.28 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Great to see an update, I love following your work.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Due to a recent attack on the populus of Ballybongle by the Goolies (fruit flys) and the recent disbandment of the TCG terrorist group, the island's authorities have been reviewing the army's capabilities. The army's old vehicles have been sold off and the funds used to purchase new equipment. The first batch of equipment has just arrived from the mainland and can be seen on its way into the main freight depot for unloading. The truck on the bogie bolster just made it within the loading gauge.

ArmySm1.jpg
ArmySm1.jpg (86.65 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

ArmySm2.jpg
ArmySm2.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:24 pm

nickbrad wrote:Great to see an update, I love following your work.

Thank you :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:55 pm

Haha. Love the concept of a 4'1½" line! Very clever to use 00. Nice! The Lima bodied Mainline chassied diesel looks right somehow. Nice!

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

The BNR's marketing team have been wandering around the railway with their pots of French Blue paint to promote the railway's corporate identity. French Blue bargeboards are appearing everywhere. It's becoming rather reminiscent of the red lamp posts from Network South East days :) . The management persuaded the marketing team to paint the inside of the loco sheds in grey while they were at it, as staff had been complaining about the rather bright yellow finish for several years.

EShed.jpg
EShed.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Meanwhile the footbridge at Ivygale has been refurbished and access to the water tower improved with a ladder and service hatch on the roof.

IVGRefurb.jpg
IVGRefurb.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

The recently overhauled container wagons and the company's long bogie bolster have been fitted with metal wheels from Peter's Spares, which has added some much needed weight as well as improving running.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:30 pm

The set of curved points at the main junction have been causing problems, with locos stalling on them for several years. On closer inspection, the track gang noticed that the frog was slightly bowed upwards. The solution was to drill a new fixing hole through the sleepers so that the frog area could be held down. Running has now improved significantly as a result. One of the head gangers is seen admiring the work. He unfortunately failed to get out of the way of the Class 15, hauling the mixed branch passenger/parcels train and was nearly mortified, as we say in Ballybongle. He is now making a full recovery at the local hospital.

Points.jpg
Points.jpg (90.46 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

The company continue to pick up additional Triang coaches for the line's eventual expansion to Pewsley and beyond. This particular coach was picked up very cheaply, due to smashed ventilators in one window. Workshop staff attempted to fit a new ventilator from a scrapped coach, but it disintegrated. It was later found that the best approach was to remove the spare ventilator with part of the window frame. This was successfully grafted in and the coach is now ready for stripping and repainting.

IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG (45.53 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Mountain wrote:Haha. Love the concept of a 4'1½" line! Very clever to use 00. Nice! The Lima bodied Mainline chassied diesel looks right somehow. Nice!

Thank you. Unfortunately the Mainline chassis started to misbehave and so a new version was constructed using the standard Hornby 0-6-0 chassis. It's still not the best runner in the world though...

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:30 pm

As part of the country's military review, the armed forced have been looking for an armoured vehicle that would fit on a lowmac, for transportation by rail when required. A surplus Matchbox Saladin armoured car was purchased, but as is often the case, it was missing its gun barrel. The railway workshops have managed to drill out the remains of the old barrel and fabricate a new one from a nail.

IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG (25.69 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Increased Fire-Power ?
That looks like a heavier calibre than the original.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:03 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Increased Fire-Power ? That looks like a heavier calibre than the original.

I think it may be partly an optical illusion, although the barrel is probably slightly longer. There's may still be a bit of work required on the muzzle, followed by a visit to the paint shop.

The workshops are getting rather full at the moment, due to a spate of problems with couplings and the need for a bit of wheel cleaning.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Muzzle fixed, thanks to part of the nib of a ballpoint pen :) . The Saladin fits nicely on the lowmac and is now waiting to be transported to the paintshop, although passenger services are taking priority in the run up to Christmas.

Saladin.jpg
Saladin.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:06 pm

I read all your thread and I really like your work. But I never see a track plan... or I missed something?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”