Heljan Class 16

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GeraldH

Heljan Class 16

Post by GeraldH »

Does anyone have one of these? Hattons seem to be selling them off cheaply at the moment. Are the NEM coupling pockets at the correct height, unlike the Class 15?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GeraldH

Re: Heljan Class 16

Post by GeraldH »

Having bought one, I'll answer my own question in case it helps anyone :) . The NEM pockets seem a little high and I think a slightly cranked coupling is required. Of course you don't find that out, until you've cut off all the pipes at the ends and can then no longer return the model :( .

GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I've now spent a little more time with two Heljan Class 16's. The NEM pocket is perhaps only a fraction too high, although Heljan have supplied cranked couplings which appear designed for their earlier locos with significantly higher NEM pockets. If the Heljan couplings are fitted, they are therefore too low and the bottom of the hook can hit the rails as the locos go over the points. I've seem one reviewer on Youtube cut off the bottom of the hook to try and resolve this.

I have fitted Hornby medium non-cranked couplings, which with the Heljan droop are usable, although it can require a bit of force to get them to couple to other stock.

SRman

Post by SRman »

If the straight couplings are a little too high, still, even allowing for Heljan droop, try putting a shim of plasticard between the chassis and the coupler pocket to lower it just that litlle bit more.
SRman

Post by SRman »

Sorry: I just realised. The class 16 has the coupler pockets on the bogies (I'm at work so cannot see the model for myself!). Try a thin shim as a wedge over the coupling to force it to droop slightly more.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I had the opportunity the other day to purchase a relatively cheap as new Heljan 16 class but given the issues with Heljan's poor choice of motors, I passed on the opportunity. I have been looking at a class 17 for a while but since the re release there seems almost negligible comments/reviews on the model. With the company's poor performance with mazak woes, electrical problems and undersized inadequate motors I have decided to no longer purchase a product from them. I do have about a dozen different models from them (class DP2/15/23/35/52/86/128) and am happy enough with them, but I feel that I have tempted fate enough to risk further purchases.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I now have two Heljan class 16's - partly by accident :o . I also have a Class 14 and 15. Having run the 16's now for several months, I'm pretty happy with them, but I don't entirely trust them long term due to the reported motor issues. I've already had a Class 15 go up in smoke. As I understand it, the Class 14, 15, 16, 17, Railbus and Beyer Garrett all use the same small motor, which has rather unusual dimensions. Spare motors are not always available and when they are, they are pretty pricey. Mashima apparently made a suitable motor, but they have now ceased production. One also has to remove the flywheels from the old motor for reuse and I have yet to see a satisfactory method/tool for doing this non-destructively on this model. Although Howes have been very helpful, I've never received a reply from Heljan. At the current special price of £70 from Hattons, I would take the risk, but not at the full price of £130 or so. I just wish the Class 14, 15, 16 locos had been made by Hornby or Bachmann...

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You can add the O2 2-8-0 to that list. It is a shame that this motor isn't as robust as the Buhler type that is standard in their main line of twin bogie traction, those appear to be trouble free. It would fit in the O2 and Garratt as well, had those mechs been designed around it.

That said the examples I have are all stil running, and while the 15s don't have much work to do on my operation I have paid particular attention to giving the O2 a real work out since purchase.