pre made switch panels?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Alex3410

pre made switch panels?

Post by Alex3410 »

hey guys,

i was just wondering if you can get pre made switch panels? my plan is to wire up all of the points but want the switches etc spread out so they are close to the points themselves rather then having a single large panel.

it got me thinking and i was wondering if anyone does a 'kit' or pre made panels so i can keep it neat and tidy?

kind of like the Hornby switches that you can place into a bank or the DCC concepts ones (which i would love but are just to much)

but i would be using normal flip switches like
Bufferstop

Re: pre made switch panels?

Post by Bufferstop »

I Googled "toggle switch mounting panels" chose Images and discovered that most commercially made ones are for rectangular switches. I did find one five hole one from America at an exorbitant price. Presumably making round holes in a piece of metal or plastic doesn't generate enough profit to make it worthwhile. Mine are simply mounted in holes drilled in the 6mm ply side frames. With a slight countersink applied to the rear there is just enough thread to put on the securing ring.
If you can get metal blanking plates for flush mounting electrical boxes they would be a starting point, but I've never seen them. The blank plastic ones are made of a nasty thick and brittle plastic which chips when you try to drill it. Guess how I know that :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Just thinking, my switches are for DC isolation, close to he section they switch and identified by coloured caps. The point and signal controls are similarly close to the item they control, so close in fact that they are made from cheapo 1mm rod with knobs made from mapping pin heads and joined where necessary by the brass bits from Choc block connectors. No switches, solenoids wires or adaptors. I start with a short piece of rod heated and pushed into the mapping pin head the Choc bock connector behind the facia sets the limit of pull, and the normal position is set pressed against the facia. The ones to the points are supported by the screw in rings for curtain wire. The signal posts go through the board and have a home made unequal crank to reduce the finger sized push pull to the few millimetres needed for the signal arm.
Time to train a relief operator about 2 minutes. Show them the three colour track diagram, show them coloured knobs and the coloured toggles and press buttons and they are away.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Thanks for your replies, some interesting stuff - i like the idea of colour coding the switches - i had not considered that before.

I doubt i will ever have someone else run the layout but if it makes life easier for me its worth it :lol:
I will have to give the idea some more thought, others have suggested the single large panel but i rather like the idea of them being dotted around the layout & after all the layouts in my shed so i can probably reach them all by standing in the middle anyway :lol:

I imagine the best material for me to start playing with would be plasticard, watch this space :lol:

thanks again
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Depending on where you fix them the panels supplied for putting switches below the bottom edge of old style wooden dashboards might do. Used to call 'em "knee crackers". Might be worth looking in motor accessory shops, virtual or real world.
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

The aluminium angle sold by the likes of B&Q make good switch panels for screwing to wood baseboards on the plus side you can cut as many various sized ones as you require from a 1 metre length.
A tip when drilling ally use paraffin as the lubricant and back off the drill bit, then it won't bite and pull the drill bit through the work piece.
Tim
aka Forfarian
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

What about contacting modelrailwayscenery.com and see if they can make something for you from lazercut wood. I know they have done customer project for quite a few modellers.
All Aboooooard !!
rosenblad

Post by rosenblad »

How about cutting a hole in your fascia panel, screw a piece of sheet metal, fibre board or plastic from behind and install a switch from behind?

With this method you will not accidentally move the toggle since it is below the surface.
Carpe Diem!
michaelasc

Post by michaelasc »

I'm in the US and have been buying panels from Harry Bibby in the UK for several years now. His panels, for both signals and points, work perfectly

He's on EBay here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/harryelectrot ... 7675.l2559

As an FYI, I am not affiliated with Harry in any shape, way or form, just a happy user
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!