A Small Project...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

A Small Project...

Post by whynot »

Having toyed (sic) with plans that would have been simply too expensive, started basic construction of a two board L shape. Boards done and Setrack for the 60" x 10" fiddle (well, non-scenic) section purchased and test-laid. To my surprise the 0 6 0 Hornby runs just fine. And isn't insulfrog so easy to wire? Rather wish I'd not bothered with electros for last 5 or attempts!

It's essentially an Inglenook with additional platform road and the run round off-scene.

Lack of snaps so far - my ancient Windows Vista has been collapsing - new PC and grappling with W 10 (another reason why funds short for anything more ambitious!).

This is the idea....

jimread

Re: A Small Project...

Post by jimread »

Hello Dave,

This is lovely and I can see the scope for lots of shunting operations here, especially with that short reverse siding.

One thing I would do and I hope you don't mind a suggestion is to have either a three road fiddle yard with a loco release traverser at the far end and/or the same thing at the station end, as per Birmingham Moor St, you would be able to run around a train to serve both the forward facing and the reverse sidings.

Cheers - Jim

[edit]

Forgot to post this with the above, I went from Vista to Win8.1 and hated it, I then came across Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/ it's free (though you can make a donation) and will take your machine back to, Win7, XP, or my favourite, the Classic Windows start and desktop. It works with Win 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks Jim. Yes, traversers would be nice , but beyond my skill grade as I have found out in the past! Keeping this as simple as possible although I have added a siding to the fiddle yard/off-scene area (mainly because I bought four points in an ebay lot!).

The run round obviously minimal - but can reduce handling and can still use just as two long sidings.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Whynot,

Surprised you had any problems with Electrofrog, in simple form
you just wire as insulated with the exception of using insulated rail
joiners at the 'V' ends. Oh and extra track feeds.

Small, not so simple and should allow shunting. Best with 0-4-0 or
0-6-0 tanks

Geoff T
whynot

Post by whynot »

Well, didn't have actual problems with electrofrogs (never before used anything else) but in very small spaces Setrack has advantages!

Seems to be fine for running....

Whoops wrong movie....maybe this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yn_J7IM5Tg
whynot

Post by whynot »

Small project, small progress! Boards in place and lined up - simple bolt and wing nut joining, easily disconnected by pulling one track join apart. Very simply wired and running. R1 curves look awful but do not seem to present any reliability issues.

Waiting on one point to complete track.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Great to see some progress whynot. :)
Also you've given me an idea :!: Is that red paperclip for uncoupling via hand of god? I might have to copy that!! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks!

" Is that red paperclip for uncoupling ...?" Yes it is - works quite well, but I can't recall where I got such giant ones!
whynot

Post by whynot »

Track down and wired...had a tunnel kit on the shelf, so boxing in the curve! The fiddle yard is part of the view, so that will in effect be another small layout with some scenics...

The yard end is a bit cramped and no obvious road access, but just have to accept the depth is foreshortened!

whynot

Post by whynot »

Whoops...should have been this one!

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Nice to see some nice slow running. You've got a good choice of loco for it there.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
whynot

Post by whynot »

The Hornby is quite a nice runner! It was the "start" of all this - herself bought it for me 5-6 years ago!

Bits and pieces of work in progress as and when I feel like it......

Moving along....
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

As and when you feel like it ......
My sort of modelling !!

Geoff T.
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Looking good Dave!