Backscenes

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Metroland

Backscenes

Post by Metroland »

Hi everyone..

Could you please help me put with this problem. I’ve got my retaining walls in place, but I cannot find any suitable modern town back scenes to go on top. Gaugemaster had nothing for me. :x

I’m after modern shops, terrace houses etc to sit directly above the walls, with the buildings in front and skies behind.

All help gratefully received. :?: 8)
Bufferstop

Re: Backscenes

Post by Bufferstop »

You might have to go down the d-i-y route as you will want almost full scale size buildings if they are supposed to be just behind the top wall. I was forced to make my own to get early twentieth century housebacks.
I did some cutting and pasting (literally) with mikem's back scene downloads. Doing the tapered perspective involved printing out and rescanning to make the images editable, then some faffing around in Paint Shop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
CandO

Post by CandO »

I've noticed that when most layouts 'disappear' through the backscene the rails tend to go into a tunnel mouth or under a bridge but as my layout will be an elevated railway in a townscape, apart from just having a hole in the backscene at each end, I'm struggling to come up with an idea as to how I can add some detail to the void. There will be a couple of low relief buildings either side of the track at one side which I'm hoping will help but the other end is building free. Anybody got any other ideas please? :D

Thanks in advance
Phil
b308

Post by b308 »

Get yourself a tripod and camera that does panorama piccies (most these days!), go out early before the traffic starts running and take photos. Then print it out using something like Easy Poster Printer software (a freebee I use).
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Disappearing through the sky or a backscene square on is difficult to hide if it's at an angle you have a chance of having two overlapping sheets with a gap between them. It's difficult to imagine a solution without a clear picture of the problem, but a large building or other feature closer to the viewer will block the view of what's happening from at least one direction. The perspective effect on my backscene only works from one position but that's just about where the viewer stands thanks to it being the open end of a U shaped layout (and me also being in there operating it!)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions