Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SR/ScR Fan

Re: Gantsville - Building an HO Inglenook

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:08 pm

Ah the fun begins! You may be able to get replacement handrails if you don't fancy making them.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:57 am

Well, I've finished stripping the SW9 down, removing all the glass etc and having no Maskol to hand, I have used PVA instead to blank off the lenses for the lights. Whether this works or not remains to be seen, but I shalln't know until I try.

I've also just spent 45 minutes painting sleepers with Humbrol Matt 98, most of the lead track is done, but I am tired of it already with the 3 spurs also yet to do. It isn't very neat i'll admit, but it will be getting sprayed over with some dirt colour anyway, I just wanted to mask the majority of the concrete colour first.

It's still a bit dark being wet, but as an undercoat, I am satisfied with it.
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 pm

Track painting is one of THE worst jobs IMHO.
I'd much prefer to ballast a metre of track, the
same piece gives 4 metres of rail side painting !!
Even weathering ballast is easy in comparison.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:06 pm

That's the scary thing Geoff, I haven't started painting the actual rails themselves yet :lol:

I figure if I push myself though, I can have the sleepers all done by friday, go get the spray paint I want and then once that's misted over, i'll go back to the track sides themselves. I am so glad I haven't set myself a time limit this time around, one thing's for sure, the 3 remaining concrete sleepered pieces of flexi track will not be used as the basis of any future layout, I'd rather ditch 'em considering all the prototype lines I like use wooden sleepers :)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:50 am

New wire ordered via the bay of E so I can get power permanently fed in, I guess I really need to paint all that track now before monday :)

I've now decided that as this is planned as a purely home based layout, I probably shalln't be using magnetic uncoupling. A lot of the modellers overseas go for the manual "bamboo skewer" method of uncoupling, this does mean that I don't have to worry about disguising magnets and consider removing the trip pins for a more prototypical look. The flip side of course is that I'd have to replace the couplings should I ever decided to go down the magnetic couplings route on a future layout

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 am

Latest purchases have arrived.

The flag is a purely "want" purchase, I didn't need it, certainly at this stage of the build, but for less than £4 incl postage, I couldn't resist a 5ft x 3ft NC flag to hang at the front.

More importantly, the wiring is here. It's 18 gauge and braided, so should stand up to a bit of abuse, (not that I plan on giving it any, but better to be safe than sorry and all that,) the only thing is, with such gorgeous weather outside, I don't want to waste it with sitting inside with a soldering iron in hand
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 am

Nice! You have inspired me to get the Chicago flag for TYS. :)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Surprised how much waffle I had to go through to find the Illinois Flag, but here it is :)

A Chicago city flag I eventually found, but it's quite a bit more expensive here

Plain black cloths work well, but a flag gives it something a little extra I feel :)

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Well it's took long enough, but I have finally wired in my first piece of track and run an engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQaTk3fxY9s

As you can see, it stalled once it reached the points, so I cut the power and had a look. It turns out that the first set of points were not switching fully and so no power was being conducted through. I realise that it's bad form to rely on the point blades to conduct the power and it's for reasons such as this, but I really want to keep things as simple as possible on this one, just so I can complete a model railway in a reasonable time frame, (for me). Also, as I am not using point motors or anything such as this, I didn't want to mess around with frog power switching or any of that malarky this time. After some tweaking, I tried again.

https://youtu.be/CxlTeUj1Jaw

The controller I am using is as simple as they come, although I do plan to upgrade to something a little more modern soon.

It should be noted that I haven't cleaned the track yet, hence why I had to crank up the power a little more on the second video to cut through the resistance.
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Mmmmm, goodies :)

"Model Junction Online
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 48XXX
Date Ordered: Wednesday 13 July, 2016

Products
1 x Modern Style Railroad Crossing Warning Sign - 20pcs (TTG-8178) = £3.75
2 x Sprung Operating Ground Throw with Targets (CAB-210) = £7.00
1 x Model Railroad News - June 2016 (MRN-JUNE16) = £4.99
Sub-Total: £15.74
UK Shipping (England, Wales & Scottish Lowlands Only - Click for more details): £4.50
Total: £20.24

Delivery Address
Nicholas Bradshaw"

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Well, the goodies above have arrived.

The crossing signs are tiny! I guess I should have expected this and I kind of did, but with my current skill set, I don't think I could have scratch built these easily and with the cost, I am really happy I went with the off the shelf option.

The point switches are marvels of miniature engineering. I was trying to figure out how to engineer one of these myself as I didn't particularly like the idea of importing from the US and potentially incurring import costs on such a small item, but when I saw that Model Junction had these in stock, I didn't hesitate to change my plans. They will need a little bit of work to use with Code 100 points, (especially mine which have the tabs cut off, isn't hindsight beautiful,) but I see no reason why I can't have them both installed within an hour. I do want to get my two remaining spurs painted and laid first though. I will also look at making a slight modification to give them modern handles that you'd typically see on US railroads.
Last edited by nickbrad on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello Nick,
It's always nice to see a bit of US H0 appearing! I'll enjoy seeing how you do things.
How do you rate the magazine, MR News?
I ask as I bought a copy a few years ago and although the printing & production was good, the content was rather poor, I felt! Hopefully it has improved some!
Cheers,
John.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:28 pm

To be honest, i've only had chance to read the editorial so far :)
(Actually, just had a flick through to find it's a magazine of adverts, no layouts whatsoever. That's a little frustrating as my rolling stock spending is already done, there's nothing i'd like to add, but it's not the end of the world.)

My current obsession with US railroads is completely down to Rob's Tilley Yard South. A perfect showcase of how you don't need lots of space to recreate a slice of American railroads, it has distracted me from getting on with Budgetbrooke, but I shall return to that project at some point.

Allegheny1600

Postby Allegheny1600 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Nick,
Oh! Sorry to hear about the mag, no change then, thats a shame.
Yes! Rob's layout is a cracker, isn't it? I enjoy it a lot!
Cheers,
John.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Nick, John, you are both far too kind. I don't mean to be a bad influence, I just like to open people's minds to different things.

How is the playi....I mean testing going?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”