Bachmann 2EPB

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Bachmann 2EPB

Post by GWR_fan »

I was fortunate enough to secure a new Bachmann 2EPB in blue/grey livery for a more than reasonable cost. Going on Wiki the unit is post-1983 numbering. Given that the units were withdrawn not long afterwards (1986?) then the set would have had a very short lifespan as this set number. That aside, my interest lay in how these sets were utilised in the 1980's. Were they used singly or mu'd with other sets? Would they have run with 4CEP sets?

Tim
GWR_fan

Re: Bachmann 2EPB

Post by GWR_fan »

After viewing a few You-Tube videos it seems the 2EPB lasted until at least 1993 in blue/grey livery.

Tim
SRman

Post by SRman »

Hi Tim. The units could be used singly but were more usually used in multiple with 4 EPB units of class 415.

It would be very rare to see one in multiple with 4 CEP units. In theory it was quite possible as they were compatible, but in practice there was very little need for EPBs and CEPs to mix. A few 4 EPBs had express gearing which allowed them to run at the full line speed of the CEPs but no 2 EPBs were so fitted. There were certain restrictions on how lower geared suburban units could be run with higher geared 'express' units, which I won't go into in detail here.

I currently run my blue and grey unit in multiple with my NSE liveried unit. I also run another set for an earlier time period, with two plain blue units and a green one.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

SRman,
many thanks. I saw a couple of videos of a single 2EPB set, but in the main, as you stated, they were used in conjunction with other sets. I will need to keep a look out for more sets.

Tim
RFS

Post by RFS »

Hatton's have the blue version available at £69.
Robert Smith
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

RFS wrote:Hatton's have the blue version available at £69.

Many thanks. Downunder the price of the blue 2EPB varies between $179.00 and $270.00 (GBP80.00 - 140.00).

Tim
ajmoore900

Post by ajmoore900 »

The 2EPBs were built specifically to strengthen the suburban peak trains typically formed of two 4EPBs. The resulting combination of ten carriages required some lengthening of platforms across north Kent. This lengthening is still possible to see in many locations as the platform depth tended to be slightly narrower than the rest of the station. Initially the SR dallied with double deck trains to avoid platform lengthening but the slightly longer dwell times defeated the point of the exercise. There were just two 4DD units built and they served exclusively on peak services from Dartford usually via Sidcup.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Many thanks.
SRman

Post by SRman »

I'm glad I have stocked up on 2 EPB units from the earlier releases; have you seen the price of the new green unit just out? :shock:
RFS

Post by RFS »

SRman wrote:I'm glad I have stocked up on 2 EPB units from the earlier releases; have you seen the price of the new green unit just out? :shock:
Hatton's still have the blue ones in stock for £72. How are your airbrush skills?
Robert Smith
SRman

Post by SRman »

I still have the spare bodies from the incorrectly numbered first release of the blue ones (two units as I accidentally pre-ordered twice!!). I intend mounting those on Replica Railways chassis as dummy units (one was intended to become a 2 HAP; I haven't worked out replacing the lighting yet). So I currently have two blue units plus one green unit to run together or separately, and for a later time period, a blue and grey unit and a Network South East unit. With that in mind I don't really need another blue one, tempting as the price is.

However (going off-topic briefly) I have succumbed to the Hornby specials and ordered one green and one blue 2 HAL unit, both with full yellow ends!

As for the airbrush skills ... [hanging head in shame, here :oops: ] I have an airbrush kit and compressor that have never actually been used by me. One of these days, I will get 'a round tuit' and try some airbrushing. :D
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

SRman wrote:............................................................................

As for the airbrush skills ... [hanging head in shame, here :oops: ] I have an airbrush kit and compressor that have never actually been used by me. One of these days, I will get 'a round tuit' and try some airbrushing. :D
SRman,
I am with you here. I purchased a compressor and airbrush kit and must admit I have checked that the compressor runs but nothing more. My son regularly uses his airbrush but for me it is always the reliable spray can.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Contemporary spray cans and their nozzles have come a long way since days of yore Tim. IME even the cheap as brands from India spray reasonably well if the product inside isn't in the same league as the best of name brands. I wouldn't have 25 years ago, but age has since compromised me. I frequently use them myself now merely for their convenience. No setup and minimal cleanup is very persuasive where they'll get the job done.

I have all the kit, and do use it because it does provide as perfect a solution as can be had, but it generally only comes out for modelling work. Although Tamiya do make outstanding spray cans specifically intended for model painting which do a perfectly good job for colour coats of monochrome schemes e.g. early Japanese Zero in IJN grey-green or a late Zero upper in IJN green and lower in IJN grey, even though they have no means of varying pressure or nozzle size (pattern is variable sort of). But, they are small cans and expensive, so cost enters as a factor especially if wanting an extensive range of colours for multiple projects or application. e.g. IJA or IJA cockpit green + etc. But I'm guessing you'd already know that from your son's activity.

I have been sorely tempted for some time now to gloss up a loco from its Hornby model matte, but defer the project due the necessity to also give the accompanying carriages the same treatment (all that window masking) which will end up a mismatch for the greater bulk of locos remaining as per OOTB. The subject I will most probably trial with this as most suitable subject is one of the two "The Coronation Scot" train packs I have. That said, it's definitely an airbrush job at the right pressure with a fine head and quality materials. I have seen some attempts - I'll label them attempts as for me they'd = fail, because they've been sprayed with too coarse a head, the wrong pressure and probably thinned ratio, and only God knows which paint. Especially with clear gloss which will show every little perfection sticking out like Fujiyama, quality counts. A super smooth thin high shine gloss coat on a Coronation would really bring it up a treat in enhancing suspension of disbelief.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Keiron,
the maroon LMS Coronation is definitely a candidate for a gloss finish.
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Mine are blue. I am sure they will look just as resplendent. I'll take the opportunity to rebadge and renumber one when I do. Seen a blue one so treated in clear gloss coated properly. Drop dead gorgeous. Looks so much more realistic of the films I've seen researching the loco and train when new and such a prestige train in the era when labour to keep it clean and a pride in doing so were still extant. As the matching carriage colour doesn't fit with anything else other than that specific train, and they're dreadful Railroad Period III CKs and BCKs tarted up in blue, a coat of gloss with a little painted plasticard skirt modification, some proper 3D nameboards and a coat of gloss overall might be just the eye magnet to draw the more discerning viewers' eye away to the visual splendour of the whole.

Amazingly, as all the streamlined expresses are among favourites of my favoured period, I don't have a crimson lake and gold streamlined Coronation class! "Days of Red and Gold" was unusual of the Barry Freeman train packs in that it never made it to remainder pricing -that I was ever aware of. All of the others did, although I readily confess that it surprised me that "Rare Bird" and "A Duchess at Carlisle" did given their high detail everything inclusions and as such good buying even at regular price. Surprisingly "Fireworks at Chilcompton" sold well enough to also escape remainder pricing despite its 'orrible if tarted up Railroad Mk. 1's. But then it was an air smoothed Bulleid Pacific which Hornby are smart enough to release so sparingly they always sell unless in some odd irregular livery. "A Date with the Duchy", whilst brilliant in concept with a perennially popular albeit by Freeman Teignmouth tunnel exit artscape included, lamented on shelves such that it is still available new in places last I checked. Nice to have, but not at anywhere near its asking price with Railroad carriages - except perhaps to the box collector.