Which model is correct?

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
rosenblad

Which model is correct?

Postby rosenblad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 pm

I have two models of the waiting room at Goathland, North Yorkshire by Hornby. These are the Hornby Skaledale R8720 and R9746. The size of these models differ so much that I really need to ask if anyone can tell me which is the more correct one.

Carpe Diem!

RAF96

Re: Which model is correct?

Postby RAF96 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Plenty of pictures on line showing it in both those guises.
I have downloaded some images but I have never been able to post pictures on this forum.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks for that RAFHAAA96, but it was the size I was wondering about!
Carpe Diem!

Hilux5972

Postby Hilux5972 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 pm

R9746 is the more correct sizing. They re-released the Goathland buildings a few years ago, all in the R97xx series and these are the more correct buildings to represent Goathland. The older ones in the R86xx series are quite different and incorrect in some details. However that original footbridge in the R86xx range is correct for the whole of NYMR stations, with the colour changed appropriately of course.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Thank you very much Hilux5972. That's very much appreciated, as it was very confusing!
Carpe Diem!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:20 am

It's worth bearing in mind that many of the railway companies (including BR!) used a "modular" system for wooden station buildings so they could do a mix and match for each station dependant of requirements. So unless you are actually modelling Goathland you could use either!

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 am

Thank you b308. Did they really differ that much in size? As a matter of fact I will be modelling Goathland. All the buildings have been collected. :)
Carpe Diem!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 am

The panels of modular buildings were standard sizes, each specific building being assembled from standard sized panels. The same building method reappeared in the 60/70s as the "CLASP" system, initially developed for the school building programme, but later adopted by BR for station and lineside buildings. If you go back to the late 1800s early twentieth century railway companies, the GWR was typical, had "standard" building designs a local contractor being given the plans and left to build it in whatever material was the local norm. The buildings at our local station (now privately owned) were built in red brick when the North Warwickshire line was opened, but are dimensionally identical to many stone built examples throughout the GWR. So if you have a good image of the one you are modelling you can determine the dimensions by measuring parts of others built to the same patterns.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Bufferstop wrote:The panels of modular buildings were standard sizes, each specific building being assembled from standard sized panels. The same building method reappeared in the 60/70s as the "CLASP" system, initially developed for the school building programme, but later adopted by BR for station and lineside buildings. If you go back to the late 1800s early twentieth century railway companies, the GWR was typical, had "standard" building designs a local contractor being given the plans and left to build it in whatever material was the local norm. The buildings at our local station (now privately owned) were built in red brick when the North Warwickshire line was opened, but are dimensionally identical to many stone built examples throughout the GWR. So if you have a good image of the one you are modelling you can determine the dimensions by measuring parts of others built to the same patterns.

Thank you for the informative description on modular design! In my case I'm afraid I can't just pop down to the nearest station to measure it because I live in Norway! To further clarify what I meant by size I have included the photo below, both Hornby Skaledale, which should better explain why I am confused!

Carpe Diem!

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:26 pm

They look different scales from that angle! But before we think they are, can you measure up the size of the heights and widths of the buildings, and doors and windows sizes on each and post them up. The station was built by the NER and according to Wikki similar to several others. If we had the door sizes we'd be able to get an idea which is closer.

Though from first glance if you had two station you could use the larger on one where there is lots of space and the thinner one in a more compact platform, such as up against a wall or embankment where the Real Thing would be smaller...

Bit of weathering wouldn't go amiss either! ;)

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:08 pm

They do look like different scales, and that is why I get confused! The doors are very near the same dimensions, and the windows don't differ much either. the photos below show the difference.

Carpe Diem!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 pm

I'd say the larger one is nearest to scale, simply because no one is going to make one bigger than necessary. Over the years Hornby have been pretty cavalier about scale, making small locos bigger so that they will fit an existing mechanism, making buildings smaller so they will fit in with existing items. I'd say they chopped down the roof and sides of the waiting room so that it would fit on their platform units and still leave room to walk past them!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Hilux5972

Postby Hilux5972 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Sorry Bufferstop but I have to firmly disagree with you there. The original building (larger one) was vastly overs ale for what is actually at the station. Many images online show that the shelter is taller than the waiting room, whereas the original Hornby buildings were incorrectly the other way round. This newer release of buildings is definitely the correct sizing for the waiting room.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:11 pm

Thank you Bufferstop and Hilux5972 for your suggestions. I have been (and still am) of both the same opinions! This is the confusing world of OO gauge!
Carpe Diem!

Hilux5972

Postby Hilux5972 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:05 am

The latest release is far more accurate to Goathland station. The main building correctly sits behind the platform and has the rear entry ramp and steps and the auxiliary buildings on either side of the main building are far more accurate to the station as she is today.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”