Roco Multimaus controller

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
GWR_fan

Roco Multimaus controller

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:00 am

Just curious if a Roco Multimaus controller is able to be used as a cab with an NCE command station. I know that all digital components are supposed to be interchangeable but do not know if it extends to cabs and DCC base stations. I have a 10 amp Procab controller that I use as a cab on my NCE "Twin" controller/amplifier when I am 'playing' with DCC. Vice versa as well could the Procab be used in the Roco amplifier as say a slave cab?

I prefer the ergonomic shape of the Multimaus to the brick shaped Procab.

Edit: apparently compatible with the Lenz system.

Mike Parkes

Re: Roco Multimaus controller

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:58 am

The Multimaus, subject to being a latter firmware version, is indeed compatiable with Lenz; know a number of Lenz users who exhibit using Multimauses - personally as far as a handset goes do not think it can be beat. Cannot however answer your actual query.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Mike,
many thanks. I like the ergonomics of the Multimaus. It reminds me of my Piko/Massoth Navigator.

jaym481

Postby jaym481 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:35 pm

From what I've learned so far, in general controllers aren't interchangeable between companies, though some apparently have the capability to allow handsets from other systems. I think the ECoS base station allows it. However, I'm not aware of NCE being in that category. I haven't seen anything in their manuals to indicate the possibility.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:00 pm

Many thanks. I did not expect interchangeability but was hopeful.

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:34 am

GWR_fan wrote:Just curious if a Roco Multimaus controller is able to be used as a cab with an NCE command station. I know that all digital components are supposed to be interchangeable but do not know if it extends to cabs and DCC base stations......

.....Vice versa as well could the Procab be used in the Roco amplifier as say a slave cab?

The NMRA standards that proscribe interchangeable equipment, are limited to what happens from the generation of the DCC commands, until receipt at the receiving end. i.e. between the Command Station and decoders (loco and accessory) via track/accessory buses and the rails.

Cabs/throttles and other equipment, connected on the "other side" of the Command Station, are not covered and are determined by the manufacturers.
Hence different manufacturers using different cab/throttle buses to which only their own (and sometimes other manufacturer's) handsets can be connected.

Roco's MultiMaus works on XBus, an earlier version of Lenz's XpressNet cab/throttle bus and is therefore compatible for use with a Lenz DCC system using XpressNet; but it won't work on NCE's Cab Bus, which uses a different protocol.
Similarly, a ProCab cannot be used as a cab with a Roco or Lenz system.

GWR_fan wrote: I have a 10 amp Procab controller that I use as a cab on my NCE "Twin" controller/amplifier when I am 'playing' with DCC

I'm a bit confused by that?
ProCab isn't a 10 amp or in fact any amp "controller".
A ProCab is a handset for use with any of the NCE DCC systems (PowerPro, PowerCab or DCC Twin).
Did you mean that you use a ProCab as an additional cab on your Twin system, or use the Twin as additional throttles on your PowerPro system?

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 am

BananaRepublic wrote:.....................................................ProCab isn't a 10 amp or in fact any amp "controller".
A ProCab is a handset for use with any of the NCE DCC systems (PowerPro, PowerCab or DCC Twin).
Did you mean that you use a ProCab as an additional cab on your Twin system, or use the Twin as additional throttles on your PowerPro system?

The Procab controller is part of my 10-amp wireless control system. I use the Procab as a tethered cab on my NCE Twin as stated in the original posting as I only need the 3 amps of the Twin for 'OO'. If I wanted wireless I could simply plug the receiver into the Twin.

Return to “DCC Forum”