N Gauge oval in the countryside

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: N Gauge oval in the countryside

Postby heda » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:28 pm

The back section is now fenced and grassed. The fence is quite fiddly to make but worth it I think. The small station building has also been fixed to the board, passengers won't have to jump down to the platform though, I will be adding steps once I've finished making them ! There will be a church just behind the station building.

I need to make more wire fencing to go around the farm on the right hand side of the board, then make up the farm house and barn so that will probably take me a while. Because I don't work on the layout all the time it has taken me years to get this far but now I've started the landscaping it seems to be coming together very quickly, still loads to do though so a few more years modelling yet.

I'll post another update once there is something worthwhile to show.

Dave

Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grippets

Postby grippets » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

That's a great little layout you have, keep up the good work.

Dean.
Follow me on Instagram @deanstreetstation

heda

Postby heda » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:40 pm

A little bit more progress, we had visitors for a couple of weeks so my man cave became a guest room then I was struck down with a nasty man flu virus (altogether Aaaahhh), I'm recovering now but not feeling up to doing anything to detailed so I made up the farm yard buildings (Kestrel kits),and found a home for them. They are just empty unpainted shells at the moment and the yard needs lots of work but at least I feel that progress is been made.

Dave

Last edited by heda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:34 pm

"Coming along" is a good expression.
Indicates a non-static situation but promises nothing specific.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

heda

Postby heda » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I think even 'coming along' is a bit optimistic Chris, although it was always intended to be a long project to fill my idle moments during retirement, the reality is that there seem to be less hours in a retiree's day than a working one !

Dave

heda

Postby heda » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:04 pm

The fencing, farmhouse and barn are in place, I need to make up more wire lineside fence next then static grass. The yard looks deserted at the moment but I intend to add machinery and other farm stuff.

Next job though is to connect up the lights in the buildings and hope they all work OK !

Dave

Last edited by heda on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm not entirely sure how I've missed the first few posts of this layout but it appears I have. It's looking great Heda. The flowing hills and hummocks look very natural and I particularly like the two humped bridges traversing rail and water.

Keep it up, I'll be following with interest.

Paul

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Your painting of the Kestrel farmhouse is really nice, it makes it come alive. I've never been a Kestrel kit fan but they are very convincing now you've finished them.

heda

Postby heda » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:03 pm

Thank you for the kind comments.

Carnehan, don't expect much quick progress, probably be a few weeks before I get the fencing made up and the grass laid but I will post some more pictures once there is something to show.

Luke, I don't think Kestrel are the most realistic kits and they do take a bit of work to get a reasonable result, on the plus side there reasonably priced and are easy to assemble, although the shops are going to present a bit of a challenge to get something close to what I'm hoping for but for me I enjoy the modelling more than running trains.

Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 pm

I love rolling countryside, my sort of layout.
Looking good.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi.
Just found your thread and had a good read through it and have to say I'm enjoying it very much.
Nice looking layout and scenery. Looks like fun for just playing trains to!!
Jas.... :D

heda

Postby heda » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 pm

I've managed a to do a little bit more work in between decorating and holidaying. a coaling stage constructed of matchsticks now in place. The square hole in between the tracks is for a signal.

Dave

Last edited by heda on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heda

Postby heda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:50 pm

I've been putting off fitting signals for a while, CR signals are very good but pre assembled are to expensive for my budget and in kit form are way to fiddly for my old eyes and banana fingers so I bought some from China through fleabay. The first picture is how they look. Not to great, but with a little bit of work they can be made to look reasonable, the black had to have an extra couple of coats due to loads of light bleed.

I need to add some more ballast then weather and add weeds. I intend to wire the lights to the points, there's quite a bit of wiring to catch up with under the board but it's not as much fun as landscaping !

Dave

Last edited by heda on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 pm

After a long time some more progress.
The farm now has a farmer and other bits and pieces, I intend to add a Land Rover and assorted 'junk' in due course.
The small station at the back is finished which means I can make a start on planting some trees without the risk of knocking them over when I lean across the board.

As always still loads to do but I'm happy with the way it's coming together. I've got a load (flock) of sheep ready to go in the field behind the farm plus some other bits and pieces so hopefully I'll be able to post more pictures before the nice weather means I put the layout away again.

Last edited by heda on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:37 pm

That is a very nice layout, Dave. Great work with the grass.
Regards
Rob

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”