Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
skyblue

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm

The shops are coming along really nicely. They look well constructed (very sturdy by the looks of them) and the brick effect is excellent.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:06 am

Hi carnehan,

This is just eye wateringly good.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:33 pm

Thank you Skyblue and Dad-1. I'll get you a tissue for your weepy eyes Geoff. :lol:

The build continues with the shop fronts now fully formed. Sheets of plasticard produced the sign boards, porch floors and ceilings, shop windows and pillars. 2mm x 0.30mm plastruct was laid for the sills and 1mm square rod for the window frames. The doors were in the scraps box - these were full panelled so a little cutting opened up upper windows in two of them and a full window in the third.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.46 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

A couple of coats of white primer has the piece ready for painting. The boards and facades will be painted a dark green and then each shop window and door will have different colours applied.

I've been getting some time at the coal face adding some details to the layout. The far siding along the wall has been getting a run down look with a combination of scatter and blended turf. I've just repaired my static applicator so hopefully some grass can be put down to finish this off. I'll post some photos when finished.

I've been giving some thoughts on a small change to the platform siding at the front of the layout.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (157.41 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

The current arrangement has trains halting and reversing back out on to the line which isn't ideal. If I can add an additional point to the left hand end I can open this up to a second full through platform. My quandary is to whether I can lift the track - already ballasted - without too much difficulty. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:50 am

This may be my first post on this layout, how do we miss them??

Those shops are absolutely superb, exhibition standard no less.

On the subject of lifting ballasted track. On a previous layout I had the same problem, I found releasing
the track pins then using a wide bladed paint scraper I gentle slid it under and along the section (carefully). Any parts
that come away can be refilled once relaid, permanent way gang filling holes, just like the real thing.

Just may help.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:20 am

Thank you Jim, that means a lot coming from someone who builds mega structures to such a high standard.

I'll give your method a go for lifting the track. One concern I have is that the ballast has been well secured with the usual PVA mix. I read somewhere that if hot water is applied and allowed to soak in it helps soften the bond. Has anyone any experience of this?

Paul

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:33 am

carnehan wrote:
I'll give your method a go for lifting the track. One concern I have is that the ballast has been well secured with the usual PVA mix. I read somewhere that if hot water is applied and allowed to soak in it helps soften the bond. Has anyone any experience of this?

Paul

Yes, and it works a treat. I put it on with a pipette and left to soak for a few minutes and it came of pretty easily. Once you've taken the track off you can then dunk in a washing up bowl and gently get any remaining ballast off with an hold toothbrush.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:43 am

Brilliant. I must buy a point and a cutting disc for the little drill I have and then operation track conversion can begin.

Thanks chaps.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:03 pm

I took a few minutes today while the house was quiet to pop up to the roof space for a little photo session of progress. I mentioned in a recent post that I'd been working on making the far siding a little overgrown and almost disused. Here is the result of some blended turf and scenic scatter.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

I also put the new building in to its eventual position to see how it will look. It's a bit of a monster beside those little Victorian shops but I like the non uniform look of the heights of these buildings.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.14 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

I've discovered a potential error though when looking at the positioning. The Victorian shops have chimneys at either end of the building. The right hand one is going to butt up tightly against the new building and here in lies the problem. From any real world observations this chimney would continue up the gable of the taller building to a stack on its roof. Now, do I leave it as is as a blind man on a galloping horse would probably not notice it or do I try and extend this stack up to its correct height but maybe make the whole thing look a little, well, wonky? :?: I think I'm more in favour of the first at this stage but that may change. I'll have to think on it for now.

I've been having a look at the potential of installing additional points at the left hand end to open up that platform bay. A short right hand point should do the trick. One further question is about installing additional points on the mainline.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.39 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

Here is the area of interest. I'm wondering should I install two points on the mainline to allow westbound (?) trains to cross over and use the two eastbound platforms. Without using templates it would appear that a medium left hand point and a curved right hand point would do the trick with perhaps just the smallest of strips of track to connect them. Would this be prototypical? Does it matter if it's not - well, no but any input would be appreciated.

Finally, here's a little shot of the entire 4' x 2' section as it currently stands.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.18 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:35 pm

My take on the points is ...

If it adds operational interest to the layout - go for it.

And on the subject of the chimney, you're right, it is up to you, but will it niggle at you though?

Jim.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:29 pm

What about moving the large shops to the right by half an inch to give you an alley as can be seen in many an old high street with irregular building heights.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:18 pm

End2end wrote:What about moving the large shops to the right by half an inch to give you an alley as can be seen in many an old high street with irregular building heights.
Thanks
End2end

I was about to suggest exactly that myself 8) - assuming you will have a backscene behind the buildings if you look 'down the alley'?

Layout looking really good by the way, those buildings and your overgrown siding look excellent :D

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:35 pm

I had considered the alley approach too. My thinking, at present, is that a road will emerge the other side of the Victorian shops so why would an alley be needed the other side. However, it might be the best solution to the problem. I want to get a sense of the town being built on a hill such as Whitby and had thought an alleyway would have stairs and a handrail climbing to the road behind. Thanks for your input, chaps, it's good to think out loud sometimes. :D

Paul

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:53 pm

The differing heights looks very good - and prototypical. As I think would a narrow alleyway - if the original older property boundary extended a yard beyond the wall it could be cheaper to leave it in place. If a public right then certainly quicker to retain it than have it extinguished.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Thank you Whynot.

The shop fronts are now complete. I used the back scenes included in the Metcalfe kit for the shop interiors and included a couple of little easels in the art shop for added interest. These were made using some 1mm square plastruct.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

Next up is some work on the shop signs and I have rustled up some rectangular tiles for the porch floors. I'll print these all out on some transfer paper and apply accordingly.

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing the floors and signage added.

Superb work!

Jim.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”