The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post by RailwayRobbo »

A FEW MORE OF THE GOODS YARD and SHED
The Goods Shed
The Goods Shed
360.JPG (273.01 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
The siding on which the coal train is standing was originally laid right back to the retaining wall at the end of the goods yard at the right hand side of the picture.
I had to shorten it back so that the track running through the Goods Shed was central.
The Goods Shed again
The Goods Shed again
363.JPG (278.96 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Milk churns, oil drums, wooden crates, cable drums, pipes, wooden pallets, barrels and a big old boiler add interest to the goods shed/yard.
The Yard Crane
The Yard Crane
366.JPG (254.24 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
The old Yard Crane still survives at PETERSDALE (it's either a Wills or Ratio kit).
The Metcalfe Goods Shed comes with a small external platform but I replaced it with a larger one to accommodate the crane.

NEXT.....................The Station
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

THE STATION

So here's the final set of pictures that brings us up to date (04/01/16) with progress on PETERSDALE.
PETERSDALE STATION (from the top of Church Hill or street or lane. Not decided yet)
PETERSDALE STATION (from the top of Church Hill or street or lane. Not decided yet)
369.JPG (248.25 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
General view of PETERSDALE STATION and GOODS YARD.
As I've mentioned before the Prototype model of Uppingham Station was abandoned for the Metcalfe Brick Station.
This area of the layout is almost complete except for the missing Cattle Dock in the Goods Yard.
A BR Type 2 Sulzer waits with it's short coal train before setting off on the 4 mile trip down the branch to the main line.
Although predominantly a steam man I do have a few green diesels from the era which ran locally on the Worksop/Mansfield line in the mid 60's.
The area between the Coal Lorry and the buffers with the trees will be the location for the Cattle Dock which is a Ratio kit.
All buildings in the picture are Metcalfe with the exception of the Coal Merchants 'hut' which is a Ratio kit.

The prototype model of Uppingham Station was a long building so the platform area in which to site the building was designed accordingly.
However the Metcalfe Station was smaller which left me with a lot of 'open space' when I positioned the building it in place.
I decided to make the Platform Shelter that comes with the Station building and see how they looked together on the platform.
The result you can see in the picture.
I added some sign-age to both buildings to identify their specific use.
Main Station Building.
Main Station Building.
371.JPG (244.06 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
Again I've slightly weathered the buildings to remove the 'fresh new look' the kits have when you have finished making them.
People, platform furniture, Railway staff and flowerbeds all add to the realism of the scene.
All rural stations had flowerbeds on the platforms. I remember the station staff attending to the flowerbeds at Whitwell when they had a bit of spare time between trains or other duties.
The flowerbeds are layers of card built up then covered with coloured scatter material, grass and shrubs. I was going to buy some flowers but thought my experiment with the scatter etc. was more than expectable.
I'm waiting for Bachmann to release some 50s/60s station staff figures to finish populating the platform.
Station Waiting Rooms.
Station Waiting Rooms.
367.JPG (213.26 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
The Platform Shelter was converted into a pair of waiting rooms with the appropriate sign-age added.
Again the building was slightly weathered and flowerbeds added.
This picture contains my "modelling nightmare". The tear in the backscene is going to haunt me forever. Worst still every time I see it I think 'Why didn't I move the Platform Shelter a couple of inches to the left?' It would have then covered the tear. Oh well guess I'll have to live with it.
It doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It doesn't fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
370.JPG (271.15 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
The young woman has just found out her letter is too big for the postbox.
Actually the figure is a 'modern' figure I repainted and her 'letter' is probably an iPad (painted grey) or some other piece of modern electronics.
The way she is holding it is exactly at the same height as the opening on the postbox. Sheer coincidence.
Auto train in the bay platform.
Auto train in the bay platform.
375.JPG (237.25 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
A green BR Standard Tank 2-6-4 80135 stands in the bay platform with the "Christmas" maroon Hawksworth auto trailer coach.
The Auto coach is a beautiful model but at £55 asking my daughter's to club together to buy it me for Xmas was the only way I could justify buying it.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

A FEW MORE STATION PICTURES.
The Porters busy with the freight
The Porters busy with the freight
374.JPG (224.9 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
A busy corner of the platform.
The view from the embankment.
The view from the embankment.
362.JPG (246.65 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
The BR Type 2 is still waiting to set off down the branch with it's train of loaded coal wagons.
3 Jags parked in the Goods Yard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have some of the station staff won the football pools?
PETERSDALE
PETERSDALE
365.JPG (247.26 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
Everbody's still busy even with the impending closure.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Thanks very much for bringing us up to date with your excellent layout.

When exactly did you start actual construction of baseboards - around 2008 or ?

Apart from the cattle dock what else do you have in mind to do?
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Ex-Pat wrote:Thanks very much for bringing us up to date with your excellent layout.

When exactly did you start actual construction of baseboards - around 2008 or ?

Apart from the cattle dock what else do you have in mind to do?
Thanks for the comments Ex-Pat much appreciated.
I think I probably would have started the baseboards around 2007/8 after I'd finished the layout shed in 2006.
Been a long time getting to where I am right now. Around 30 years if you go back to the beginning with PETERSDALE version 1 in the loft back in Chesterfield.
At this moment in time I have a half finished Metcalfe Signal box for which I have an interior to make and install. The signal box interior is a Ratio kit and looks very fiddly so that should be fun. The Cattle Dock which will probably get pushed to the back of the queue after the signal box and a Metcalfe Church I have to construct.
There's the churchyard and all the associated bits and bobs to construct as well, which will finish off the scenic side of the layout. I'm also on the look out for little detailing bits and bobs such as walkers, anglers etc. etc. etc.
Then of course there's the rolling stock to weather and wagon loads to make etc.etc.etc.
And of course we have to have a few sessions running the trains don't we.
Still the bad weather's here and I'm retired so what else can I do? I'm keep my better half happy with a little decorating now and again.
Railway modelling isn't just for Christmas it's for life LOL.

Thanks again Pete.
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

Pete: This layout just gets better and better.

The goods yard and station area really looks like a well established area, the Metcalfe kits sit very comfortably within this area
and the cobbles really make the goods area complete.

A tip I got from somewhere or other you may want to try is running a black felt tip pen around the edges
of signage, always seems to soften the edges.

Thanks for the updates, this really is a lovely layout, packed with detail. Hope there's more to come!

Jim.
whynot

Post by whynot »

So much detail, so many intricate small sub-scenes, yet the distance shots have a feel of spaciousness. Brilliant planning. Thanks for so many photos.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

THE "CHRISTMAS" AUTO-TRAILER IN SERVICE ON PETERSDALE.
Auto Trailer hauled by Green BR 2-6-2 Standard 3MT Tank 82005 crosses the canal bridge on it's way to Petersdale Station.
Auto Trailer hauled by Green BR 2-6-2 Standard 3MT Tank 82005 crosses the canal bridge on it's way to Petersdale Station.
IMG_3499.JPG (277.19 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
IMG_3502.JPG
IMG_3502.JPG (248.75 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
IMG_3504.JPG
IMG_3504.JPG (231.06 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
82005 and Auto Trailer round the curve past the Engine Shed as it approaches PETERSDALE Station.
82005 and Auto Trailer round the curve past the Engine Shed as it approaches PETERSDALE Station.
IMG_3507.JPG (248.99 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
The brown area bottom right will be the Church graveyard.
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

What a lovely layout :) That picture of the coal merchants is beautiful. I just about got bored of the branch line station layout but this is superb. Everything is so detailed and full of stuff jammed into every corner just like the real thing. You don't actually need any trains on it for it to look like a working layout. Top stuff :)
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

THE CHIEF wrote:What a lovely layout :) That picture of the coal merchants is beautiful. I just about got bored of the branch line station layout but this is superb. Everything is so detailed and full of stuff jammed into every corner just like the real thing. You don't actually need any trains on it for it to look like a working layout. Top stuff :)
Thanks for the kind comments Chief, much appreciated.
Top of the list of criteria for PETERSDALE was that the layout had to look realistic. I wasn't going to model a prototype of any kind but just give the layout a slightly early 60's 'Midland' flavour and a very rural landscape. The emphasis on what I wanted to achieve was landscape on the landscape rather than the infrastructure of the railway and buildings, although locos etc. would be relevant to the era. The nature of railways has changed considerably over the last 50 years. Motive power and railway buildings such as stations have changed beyond belief and of course the humble goods shed has almost disappeared totally. The thing that hasn't changed much is the line side vegetation and surrounding fields. You can still see horses, cows and sheep in fields and also the usual variety of crops. You only need to look out of a train window to get inspiration for your landscape modelling.
Next project for PETERSDALE is a Metcalfe Church. I know back in the day churches took a good few years to build but I'm hoping mine will appear on the layout in the next couple of weeks.

Pete
whynot

Post by whynot »

Little short of wonderful - that which The Chief said very much Plus 1.
clivef5915

Post by clivef5915 »

Hi RR, thanks for the comments re Bath Queen Square but having viewed your branch layout I can see I've got a fair bit to do on the scenic side of mine! Yours looks like and has the feel of a branch line and station.

Cheers
clive f
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... [u][b]Bath Queen Square - as never was ![/b][/u]
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi. Just thought I'd pop over and take a look at your layout...simply stunning. It's always good to get positive comments on my topic from folk like yourself. Looking at yours, gives me a few ideas for my own. I think I need to concentrate on the little details that Peterdale has in abundance. Lovely layout.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Hi guys. Thought I would just log in and inform you that the progress on PETERSDALE as ground to a halt. Those 16th century church stonemasons must have a dispute on or there's a shortage of stone from the quarry holding them up.
Apart from house decorating the other thing that's distracted me from my layout is replacing the big, ugly old couplings on some of my rolling stock. I've had about 10 wagons (1 oil tanker and 9 assorted mineral wagons) in old Replica boxes for a very long time. When I opened them I got quite a surprise. (A) I'd actually weathered them all and added coal loads to the mineral wagons. (B) On closer inspection I found all the wagons actually labelled Bachmann Hong Kong on the underneath and (C) they all had price stickers of £3.45p on them (those were the days). Strange but true.
Hopefully the paint brushes will be put away this week and the Church will raise up at the top of Church Lane, Hill or Road whatever I'm calling it.
Till them happy modelling to all. Pete.
RailwayRobbo

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Medieval stonemasons back on site. Church now at an advanced stage of construction. Hopefully be finished by the end of the week.
We're getting there.
We're getting there.
Church under construction..JPG (263.11 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
I've been thinking I should have at least one building with lighting on PETERSDALE so it's got to be the Church as this is the last kit I have to construct.
Electronics isn't my best skill or knowledge so I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm thinking of putting 3 or 4 small clear/white LEDs inside the building.
I know how to identify the polarity of the LEDs (long leg+ short leg-) and how to wire them up in series.
I need to know what size LED should I use and what resistor to put in the circuit.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks Pete.