CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RailwayRobbo

CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Bad)?

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi guys.
I'm seriously thinking about getting this piece of kit but an undecided.

CMX OO-HO.jpg
CMX Track Cleaner
CMX OO-HO.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

On the one hand it looks like it makes easy work of cleaning layout track but on the other it does come with a pretty hefty price tag.
Although I only have what would be described as a small/medium sized layout (PETERSDALE) I hate track cleaning as it is so time consuming.

Any of you guys actually got one of these? Is it worth the money? Also what cleaning fluid do you use with it? I've heard lots of people say they use something called 'Goo Gone' which sounds like the best thing since sliced bread through other chemical based cleaners and one guy using lighter fluid.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is a repeat thread on the subject.

Pete

james2k

Re: CMX TRACK CLEANER - Anybody got any opinions (Good or Ba

Postby james2k » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi Pete,

I've got 2 of these and some times run them at the same time.

I use IPA (Isopropyl alcohol).

Use the pads included and it will do you well.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Being a mean git I find the technique I copied from Pendon - which is effectively free with a little DIY - more appealing. Rough side of a piece of hardboard in contact with the rail tops, lots of weight on top, powerful weighted chassis hauls it around. Been using this longer than I can remember, and it is highly effective.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I haven't got one myself but I've never heard anything bad about them. Just beware that the couplings are kadees and not tension locks.

james2k

Postby james2k » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Roger (RJ) wrote:I haven't got one myself but I've never heard anything bad about them. Just beware that the couplings are kadees and not tension locks.

They do come with tension couplings in the box to change over

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:38 pm

james2k wrote:
Roger (RJ) wrote:I haven't got one myself but I've never heard anything bad about them. Just beware that the couplings are kadees and not tension locks.

They do come with tension couplings in the box to change over

Didn't know that. That's the first time anyone has pointed that out. I know at one time there was a dealer who replaced the kadees himself for use with tension locks.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm

I have an N Gauge one and it has a Kadee at one end and a standard coupling on the other end so that I can use locos with either coupling.

You do need a loco that has some weight to pull or push this around as the CMX itself being made of brass is quite heavy. In N Gauge I either use a Union Mills steamer or one of the older Minitrix Class 47s, both of which have great adhesion. I have had no problems whatsoever and the CMX cleans the track wonderfully.

Michael
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:23 pm

michaelasc wrote:I have an N Gauge one and it has a Kadee at one end and a standard coupling on the other end so that I can use locos with either coupling.

You do need a loco that has some weight to pull or push this around as the CMX itself being made of brass is quite heavy. In N Gauge I either use a Union Mills steamer or one of the older Minitrix Class 47s, both of which have great adhesion. I have had no problems whatsoever and the CMX cleans the track wonderfully.

Michael

Hi Michael.
Yes I've read where people commented that you need a loco with a bit of muscle and weight to pull (or push) it.

Pete

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Simply the best track cleaner in the world....ever. Just make sure your loco has been taking steroids.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:25 pm

I've had one for ages, in fact I got mind before they sold them with tension lock couplings, so I had to convert and fit them to one end myself!
Brilliant rail cleaning car when used with Isopronol Alchol (IPA)
But you do need a large loco to push it around. Note "Push it" as I find its best used in front of the loco so as it cleans the rails and some IPA gets onto the locos wheels too cleNing them in the process!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BananaRepublic

Postby BananaRepublic » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I've been using one for about 5 years and consider it well worth the cost.
Don't baulk at the price. It's very well made out of solid brass and metal and worth its weight in Gold (figuratively speaking).
After all, it only costs the price of a loco, but could be considered an essential purchase.

It is heavy and as others have said, requires a loco with some grunt to push it around. Also height clearance under very low bridges may be an issue for some.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 am

While I wouldn't be without my CMX tanker rail cleaner, there are alternatives.
This one is similar in operation but is considerably cheaper. http://www.model-trainstrack-cleaner.co.uk/shop/
I have no information on how well it works though!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

john2869

Postby john2869 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:39 am

hi Gauge master are getting some CMX in this week today they told me cost £94

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Flashbang wrote:While I wouldn't be without my CMX tanker rail cleaner, there are alternatives.
This one is similar in operation but is considerably cheaper. http://www.model-trainstrack-cleaner.co.uk/shop/
I have no information on how well it works though!

Thanks for that Flashbang. Just taken a look at it. It looks very similar to the CMX with just the flow adjusting screw in a different position.
There's one review. Guy gave it 5*. He said that once he got used to adjusting the fluid flow it works very well. At £60 it's £40 cheaper than the CMX.

Pete

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Could be a good bet for a CMX replacement. Even the pad holders look identical to the CMX. Here is a review

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_14.html
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”