Peco crossover wires?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Woodywood

Peco crossover wires?

Post by Woodywood »

I am using Peco streamline 75 and I have an crossover with a electro frog point on each leg of it with Colbolt point motors on each point.Now I have sorted the polarity on the points but can I sort the frog of the crossover from the point motor or do I need a switch?.
I'm running on DCC
pete12345

Re: Peco crossover wires?

Post by pete12345 »

You can either use a manual switch as you would with a DC layout, or you can automate it with a reverse loop module which is what I would do. This will detect a polarity mismatch and reverse it before the DCC system cuts out.
RFS

Post by RFS »

I assume you have two points with a diamond crossing connecting them, all electrofrog. As you're DCC, then wiring the polarity of the crossing is very simple: each crossing frog requires the same polarity at all times as the turnout frog furthest away from it, so all you need to do is to wire the two pairs of frogs together.

The only limitation that this imposes is that, when a train is taking the straight, centre road through the diamond, the turnouts must not be set for the crossover route, as you would get a system short in that situation. However, prototype practice is always to set the points to the straight route in that situation.
Robert Smith
Woodywood

Post by Woodywood »

Thanks guys will have a try next time I'm at home