My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

My first ever model railway build.

Post by Marcus »

Morning all. Just a quick update on how my layouts looking. I've completed most of the ballesting on this section of the layout, I'm quite happy with the way that's turne out. I'm trying to make as much as possible myself from mdf, card etc. Being a complete novice, I wasn't to sure how it would all turn out but I think it's going ok. The layout all looks pristine at the moment, the one major challenge will be the weathering, I have absolutely no skill or experience yet will play such an important part in bringing layout to life. I'm looking at tutorials on YouTube, hopefully I can produce something that's half decent. Time will tell. :wink:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
Last edited by Marcus on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyblue

Re: My first model railway build.

Post by skyblue »

This looks like a first class start to a layout. Those boards look well constructed and the track looks well laid. Is it N gauge?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

skyblue wrote:This looks like a first class start to a layout. Those boards look well constructed and the track looks well laid. Is it N gauge?
Hi. Thx for your comment. Yes the layout is N gauge. The sidings to the left will eventually continue onto the other half of layout, so will be L shaped. My plan is to make this part industrial with a small town scene on the overpass. The other half will have a small fiddle yard and large station as I would like to incorporate some country scenery. Just waiting for my 14x10 shed to arrive, its eventual home. Wife's moaning she wants her conservatory back....lol :lol:
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Marcus, if this is your first attempt, heaven help the rest of us when you get some experience under your belt.

Chris.
(Thinks back to first attempts, and shudders.)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Emettman wrote:Marcus, if this is your first attempt, heaven help the rest of us when you get some experience under your belt.

Chris.
(Thinks back to first attempts, and shudders.)
Thx. To be honest, it's the weathering I'm dreading. I'm going to get myself a air brush kit and have a play. I'll let you know how I get on. :?
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Hi Marcus, your layout's looking great :D. I'm sure I've seen it on other threads recently - will this one now be a record of your construction?

I too am new to weathering - I've weathered all my wagons, but nothing else really on the layout. My wagon technique of washing with watered down grey and rust would not work very well on card buildings I don't think :? - so I'll be interested to see what approach you use on yours . . .
Marcus wrote:The sidings to the left will eventually continue onto the other half of layout, so will be L shaped.
So, will both levels continue onto the other part of the L :?:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Hi Marcus, your layout's looking great :D. I'm sure I've seen it on other threads recently - will this one now be a record of your construction?

I too am new to weathering - I've weathered all my wagons, but nothing else really on the layout. My wagon technique of washing with watered down grey and rust would not work very well on card buildings I don't think :? - so I'll be interested to see what approach you use on yours . . .
Marcus wrote:The sidings to the left will eventually continue onto the other half of layout, so will be L shaped.
So, will both levels continue onto the other part of the L :?:

Hi. The top level will continue and rejoin the main line, the lower level will also continue and join additional loop, so will have 3 continuous and one branch line. Upper level was originally my branch line but I thought it would be better to have a loop incorporating upper level to make it more interesting. Layout is roughly 8x4 second part will be 6x4. :P
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.65 KiB) Viewed 6634 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Well that's it for today. Completed a little more ballesting, some painting and had a good test of the layout. All loco's ran 100%. Just waiting for a few items from good old EBay. Be glad when I can start on the scenery that isn't Gray ...Lol :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.42 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (62.61 KiB) Viewed 6615 times
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi all. Had a lovely Birthday surprise from my wife this morning, Class 55. Well happy, a great addition to my new collection. :P :P
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.98 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Many happy returns. Loco looks great (for a diesel!)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Many happy returns. Loco looks great (for a diesel!)
Many thanks. :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Many happy returns. Loco looks great (for a diesel!)
Many thanks. :D
You sound like a steam man :D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi. Been a long slog but that's all the ballesting complete on this part of the layout. Very pleased with the result, just a couple of problems with glue on point work but a quick rub with track rubber solved that. The trains run lovely and smooth, the one thing I have noticed is that ballesting makes a little more noise than without, having said that, it's not really an issue. Again happy with result so onto the next bit :D :D
Attachments
Trains running lovely and smooth.
Trains running lovely and smooth.
image.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
Ballesting now complete.
Ballesting now complete.
image.jpg (89.22 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
pointstaken

Post by pointstaken »

The ballasting does look quite good, to my eye.

Denni
I know nothing, but much I believe
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

pointstaken wrote:The ballasting does look quite good, to my eye.

Denni
Thx. This was a real learning curve for me, once the second part of layout is ready for ballesting I won't repeat the same mistakes. But then,that's what makes it all so enjoyable and satisfying. :P