Trucks in a Tizzy

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrH

Trucks in a Tizzy

Post by MrH »

Having dismantled Little Bits Sodor prior to a move and still waiting for our housing situation to resolve itself I've started work on a new small Layout to play with and test some ideas
Size is a diminutive 800x250mm based on using two scenic boards from Tim Horn. This will allow me to test cross board joins and various other bits should I ever get to build the full size Sodor Quarry I've been planning for too long.

First off the track plan....

Two types of point to see how they work. It will be DCC although points will be controlled from a control panel of some sort.

I ordered two Scenic boards from Tim Horn and set about putting them together I'm likely to buy ready made or flat pack baseboards in the future to make up for my lack of woodworking skills. Tim kindly supplies some basic dowels and a choice of endplates to accomodate pattern makers dowels too So i've made one board to have one end available for connection and the other has two ends available so that I can add a fiddle yard later if I so wish. Another advantage of lazer cut boards is that if I order another one later I know it will match up.

Boards in construction.

Number 1 half made

Staring No.2

Mic clips as clamps for adding the dowel plate

Finished items bolted together ready for use

Checking the points/motors wont foul the supports in the baseboard.

I'm going to try and keep a total cost running as even a tiny layout like this looks like it will cost a small fortune.....

Boards £16
Glue £3.27 (as mine is still packed in a box somewhere in the spare room)
Adjustable clamp £5.99
Postage£4

Total to date £29.26

I also found my first hiccup in that the swcenic boards are only 53mm high and the specs for DCC concepts cobalt point motors states they are 68mm high so I suspect an impromptu stand from the bit of 2x2 in the garage may be required or use different point motors.

Tomorrow I'm off to buy the track, some solder and a little bit of wire.....
Last edited by MrH on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
Bufferstop

Re: Trucks in a Tizzy

Post by Bufferstop »

Welcome back, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has missed your updates from Sodor.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Another who loved the old layout .........
I'm one who's not too certain about custom made boards, but at least it's fast
and as you say reliable sizing, which is unlike my woodworking !!

Geoff T.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!
MrH wrote:
I also found my first hiccup in that the swcenic boards are only 53mm high and the specs for DCC concepts cobalt point motors states they are 68mm high so I suspect an impromptu stand from the bit of 2x2 in the garage may be required or use different point motors.

Or add 1" of insulating foamboard to the top surface, perhaps?
A single sheet of such would give you enough to form your raised ground too.
You only need the sort of quantity that can be found in the skip of someone doing a loft project.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
MrH

Post by MrH »

Emettman wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops!

Or add 1" of insulating foamboard to the top surface, perhaps?
A single sheet of such would give you enough to form your raised ground too.

Chris
2nd hiccup was the spelling of scenic!

thanks for the idea unfortunately this wont work as I would need to cut through the top of the board and mount the cobalt to somewhere inside the foamboard

H
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

MrH wrote:
thanks for the idea unfortunately this wont work as I would need to cut through the top of the board and mount the cobalt to somewhere inside the foamboard

H
Ideas I have, in abundance, but not of assured quality.
100mm of foam, and mount the motors onto the (totally uncut) board surface?

No, I agree, some "shoe lift" wood strips added to the lower edge of the baseboards is going to be simpler.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
MrH

Post by MrH »

Rather uneventful day just watching paint dry as instructions recommend painting the baseboard to seal it. Although I might use dilute PVA another time.

my helper still wants to be involved but is getting bigger unfortunately the layouts seem to be getting smaller!

Took a trip into Cheltenham today

Solder 8.99
wire 3.19
track including fishplates etc £32.50
Cork £6.75
track cutters 11.99

Parking 1.80

New total 85.12

Next job is to prepare dropper wires then lay cork and track which will be for the weekend.
Last edited by MrH on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

OH my that was expensive solder ...... Or perhaps it's too many years since I had
to buy any. Was it Lead/Tin, or Lead free ? I know with your lovely helper one tries
to be environmentally friendly, but most users say it's rubbish, even if safer.

She has grown up since trying and crashing Thomas, back in 2011 at M.K.
It's good to see she still enjoys getting messy !!

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Solder 8.99
Dunno Geoff that's about what I paid for a roll that will outlast me! You won't come to any harm from lead alloy solder if you have forced ventilation when you are doing something like building a brass kit or soldering all the joints on a complicated control panel in one go. Just soldering a lead to the track or similar isn't going to hurt you as long as you don't grab the wrong end of the iron and remember to wash your hands when you finish.
Have I noticed a trend, Seren seems quite interested still, it's my grand daughters who take the most interest in my railway, and asked quite thoughtful questions on our recent trip to the Bluebell line, and there are several young ladies who post on this site. Best quote to date from one of my grand daughters "They don't have proper trains on the underground, they don't have wheels" said with a cheeky grin. Which is exactly as it looks when you are just under five foot and stood to the back of the platform.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

similar price for my roll which will do me for many years to come, its the most economical way of buying it however as the 99p 'tubes' i was buying before get used up quickly
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

In that case it's just as well my eldest son left me a large reel of
Lead/Tin/Silver electronics industry solder Ex Psion Hand-Held.

Geoff T.
MrH

Post by MrH »

The price of solder just one of many things to send the trucks into a tizzy.....

I'm more annoyed that I had to buy it when I know I have a reel somewhere in one of boxes that won't be unpacked in this house....

But its way more expensive than it used to be (unleaded like my petrol)
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

I'm liking the look of this :) I was looking at that type of board myself so I find it interesting to see them in use. My old electronics teacher was a railway modeller so he used to "liberate" rolls of solder for me :) I still working through it. Your very brave to price up a layout as you work! I like to stay semi ignorant on those things ;) Keep it up, I'm watching from the wings :)
Last edited by THE CHIEF on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's 19 years since I had to take ill health retirement, since no one could work out what ailed me, but I was ok once I was away from the place.(Turned out I was sick of the place :D ). Quite a number of things got liberated when I cleared my desk. Most valuable to me were two 4.5ltr bottles of thick PVA, No one could remember why they had been bought and I wasn't in any hurry to tell them. It was quite a shock 10years down the line when I had to buy PVA.
MrH

Post by MrH »

Very busy week this week just not on the railway where I was mainly waiting for glue to dry.

I cut out two different paper versions of the track one with 0.5 cm shoulder and one with 1cm shoulder to see which would look best

Because of the two extra wide sleepers in the points I plumped for the 1cm shoulder and attached the cork.

the end of that was trimmed to get to this

which just needed a tiny adjustment to get it to line up

So next it's track laying time. I have dug two trucks , Toby and Percy out of storage so I have somethign to run on it once the track is laid and too adjust siding lengths so they dont run to the edge of the board on the left hand side (the straight tracks)
I didn't spend any money this week so no increase in total!
Last edited by MrH on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench