Hornby King Arthur class haulage limit

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby King Arthur class haulage limit

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:04 am

I have a King Arthur class from the "Southern Belle" train set. I purchased a further set to obtain additional coaches plus two extras from the "White Pullman" train pack. I like these cars with the cream all the way up to the roof guttering. I paint the interior a darkish brown and pick out the tablecloths in white and the lamps in red, making for an attractive coach.

Alas, it seems the limit for the King Arthur class on R3 curves is four coaches without wheelspin (five cars stretches the friendship a little and six is a no-no). As I intended running eight cars, then doubleheading would be needed so a coupler was added to the pilot truck. I found the speed matched with the Bachmann "N" class just as a test to see if doubleheading could solve my problem. Both locomotives moved away smoothly and with six cars in tow the locomotives did not seem to be stressed. Most likely an "N" class would not have found service on a Pullman train but was used as it was handy. I have the Royal Mail King Arthur class so that will be utilised for doubleheading.

The 'Railroad' Pullmans do not seem to be dragging so I must assume that the King Arthur class does not have the capacity for my needs when used on its own.

RFS

Re: Hornby King Arthur class haulage limit

Postby RFS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:29 am

I don't have a problem with load on my 3 Arthurs. Currently one runs on a schedule that has 7 coaches - 5 Bachmann MK1s and 2 Hornby lighted Pullmans. And another has 7 Hornby Maunsells and also 2 Hornby lighted Pullmans. I did recently try a Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0 on the first train, but it slipped to a stand trying to draw it out of the storage yard! I do use Peco code 75 track and the minimum radius is around 30"
Robert Smith

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:52 am

RFS,
thankyou for the reply. The traction issue is possibly due to my R3 test track curves as I await room to get my railway operational (I have to dispose of my largescale LGB collection to make space). The loco slips on the straight section coming out of the curve while still dragging the cars through the curve.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 am

I have several of the Hornby Arthurs, and all will quite happily haul six (or more) Hornby Maunsell or Bachmann BR mark 1 coaches plus a Van B and/or Van C. My minimum radius is roughly equivalent to radius 3 of set track.

It really sounds as if something is dragging in the Pullman train, or else something is not sitting correctly on the Arthur: perhaps the leading bogie is lifting some of the adhesive weight off the driving wheels.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:24 am

SRman,
I will investigate the leading truck. Many thanks

RFS

Postby RFS » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:05 pm

The front bogie of the King Arthur is not sprung, unlike with some of Bachmann's locos, and therefore I wouldn't expect that to be the cause of the problem.
Robert Smith

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:18 pm

The trouble is with the Hornby Pullman cars which have axle wipers for pick up to power the lighting. A little graphite on the contact patch on which the wiper runs may help a little. Backing off the contact pressure to the best compromise between flicker free lighting and reduced rolling resistance is the next step. After that more complex options beckon: through wiring a set so that only one car needs pick ups for example.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:18 am

Bigmet,
alas, these Pullmans are the Railroad type and theoretically should have minimum drag. I decided to use a track rubber rather than simply wiping the track clean to see if traction was improved. Surprisingly, initially the loco did slip with around five cars fitted but then seemed to settle down so I progressively added more coaches, with five Pullmans (Railroad type) and six Gresleys (Railroad type) fitted with 14 mm wheels. When I added another Pullman the whole consist did not move.

I investigated this last coach (taken from the "Torquay Pullman Limited" GWR digital train set) and while it ran smoothly in a straight line, as soon as it entered a curve the coach slowed down and made 'grinding' noises. It seems the wheel rim was rubbing on the underframe moulding when the truck rotated. I relieved some of the area in question and refitted to the train. Moving off slowly the loco was able to move all twelve coaches (six Railroad type Pullmans and six Railroad Gresleys) with wheelslip achieved only when too much voltage was input. Allowing the loco to slowly accelerate the twelve coaches were within its capability.

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:15 am

Hi Regarding the problem as others have said.it could be the radius of the track,the means by which hornby?? light their Pullmans(Iuse 7 on a Kentish Belle set and have disengaged the lighting strip and a Schools or Bulleid is Okay.The max I personally use on an Arfur is six Maunsells and a CCT.Also ensure when lubricating the loco,don,t overdo the squirt and make sure the track is oil free Oh happy days

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 am

rejrob,
many thanks. As above, using a track rubber rather than a clean cloth to clean the rails, the loco is now good for twelve coaches (Railroad type Pullmans and Railroad type Gresleys). My new Royal Mail N15, perhaps the wheel treads are not yet 'worn in', has a similar haulage issue as per first posting, although is capable of six cars maximum. May improve with further running.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:48 am

The second "Southern Belle" setpack arrived today (minus track/power pack, etc as shipping cost is prohibitive to the ship the whole set) and after a lube and 'run-in' period I hooked up the N15 to eight 'White Pullman' Railroad type coaches and the loco moved off without fuss. It seems that each loco has its own coefficient of friction with the rails, altering its haulage capability.

EDIT: further to above, six further Railroad Gresley coaches were added and the loco still moved off without slippage occurring. That is fourteen coaches. A few more could be added to induce slippage, but as I will never be running with more than eight cars, at least I know that I have a respectable safety margin in not overstressing the drive.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”