Kingswood Junction (First Layout since 1984)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JohnN

Re: Kingswood Junction (First Layout since 1984)

Post by JohnN »

I would probably start painting the reverse side that would never be seen before realising what I was doing, kicking myself and stopping. :roll:

If it's not going to be seen, don't do it. :D
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

skyblue wrote:I'll let you into a secret* - some of the walls on my layout only have bricks on one side because the other side is facing the sloping roof. I'm sure some people would go the full way and build the walls on both sides, but I didn't bother. It's up to you and depends on whether it makes you feel like the layout isn't complete if you don't detail it all.
*I suppose it's not a secret any more...
Some of my platforms don't have walls on the side that faces away from you, they comprise the wall that faces you, zig-zag cross suports the same height as the walls, and a rear wall to the sloping end to keep the surface true. I've read reports in the past of wagons painted in different colours on either side, and rakes of coaches similarly treated. If the purpose of a layout is to put on a show then I don't see anything wrong in adopting some of the set designers trick of the trade.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Bufferstop wrote:
skyblue wrote:I'll let you into a secret* - some of the walls on my layout only have bricks on one side because the other side is facing the sloping roof. I'm sure some people would go the full way and build the walls on both sides, but I didn't bother. It's up to you and depends on whether it makes you feel like the layout isn't complete if you don't detail it all.
*I suppose it's not a secret any more...
Some of my platforms don't have walls on the side that faces away from you, they comprise the wall that faces you, zig-zag cross suports the same height as the walls, and a rear wall to the sloping end to keep the surface true. I've read reports in the past of wagons painted in different colours on either side, and rakes of coaches similarly treated. If the purpose of a layout is to put on a show then I don't see anything wrong in adopting some of the set designers trick of the trade.
Not unheard of in preservation either, wasn't uncommon for early heritage railways to only paint one side of a coach as they only had one platform and 700yds of track, you'd never see.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
steve70

Post by steve70 »

Thing is, I want to continue videoing train runs so would like to have detail on the 'hidden' sides.
Guess I'll just have to persevere. Bare with me :)
steve70

Post by steve70 »

Well I've made some progress.
Don't know why I didn't think of it before but I think it would/will be easier to paint a whole sheet of brick plasticard and then cut and stick them to the platform edges in situ. :/

Thought I'd stick some trains there :)
steve70

Re: Kingswood Junction. Trains are running!

Post by steve70 »

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have reach a milestone in that the layout is more or less completely wired and I can now run trains around it :)
There must be over 100 droppers. Every bit of track/points is wired.

Had a bit of a F'd up moment when it came to the big switch on as there was a dead short across the tracks! Now I made a point of keeping the red wires on the inside and blue on the outside to avoid this and started to think I'd wired up a frog dropper by mistake somewhere or missed out an insulated rail joiner somewhere but this was not the case.
After about 20 minutes of head scratching wondering where the Fk it could be I realised this was on the branch line! DOH

So here's a new cab ride video around the whole layout :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idN51Ytdt0M

There is obviously a problem with my double slip but other than that it seems to rune beautifully.
Enjoy! :)
Last edited by steve70 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Smile for the camera Steve70! :D

Nice looking layout with loads of open running sections. It looks like you have similar space to my layout but with much easier access :mrgreen: I will look forward to further developments on this one.

Paul
steve70

Post by steve70 »

That's my smug well happy face :D
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Haha. We all get those when trains run smoothly. :lol:

Paul
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Great video :D - I'll have to get one of those cameras you can mount in a loco one day . . .
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Fab video. It's great to see a layout from a different perspective, especially from the model inhabitants viewpoint. Something people will never experience useless they have one of those cameras.

Which one do you have out of interest?
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Much better quality than my keyfob camera, but mine cost all of a fiver
Certainly a nice trip ...... double slips should work OK, what was the motive
power ?

Geoff T.
steve70

Post by steve70 »

I was pushing it round with a 108 DMU.

Love my 58 :)
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Cool, thanks for that Steve.