Sarah's Workshop....

What are you up to on your workbench
GeraldH

Re: Sarah's Workshop....

Post by GeraldH »

I do like your layout, it has a real charm.

On one of your threads there's a picture of a Hornby half cab pannier with "British Railways" on the side. Can you tell me where you got the transfers from and how you removed the original ones?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
RuffnutThorston

Post by RuffnutThorston »

Hi, and thanks for the comments.

The transfers are the "GWR" lettering version of "British Railways".

I think these ones are "Pressfix" by HMRS, or possibly SMS waterslide (I converted this model some years ago now!).

Fox transfers do some as well...

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/ex ... ries-58591

The factory applied "Great Western" lettering can be removed with "T Cut" or similar using a cotton bud (Try Pound Shops for cotton buds!) and polishing off well with a dry cloth.

EDIT: Nowadays, Wilkinsons (Wilcos), Morrisons, and possibly other supermarkets sell cotton buds under their own lable "Economy/ Basics/ Savers/ etc." ranges at prices that CAN be cheaper than pound shops...This goes for a lot of things in Pound Shops! ;)

I don't think I bothered, as I re-painted the loco (except for the number plates) with Railmatch GWR green. Any "shadow" from the lettering would be pretty well lost under the new lettering. It may matter more if using a short transfer, such as the BR crests though.

The model is finished with a matt varnish.
Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....Transfers used on theOpen Cab Pannie

sarah wrote:Hi, and thanks for the comments.

The transfers are the "GWR" lettering version of "British Railways".

I think these ones are "Pressfix" by HMRS, or possibly SMS waterslide (I converted this model some years ago now!).

Fox transfers do some as well...

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/ex ... ries-58591

The factory applied "Great Western" lettering can be removed with "T Cut" or similar using a cotton bud (Try Pound Shops for cotton buds!) and polishing off well with a dry cloth.

EDIT: Nowadays, Wilkinsons (Wilcos), Morrisons, and possibly other supermarkets sell cotton buds under their own lable "Economy/ Basics/ Savers/ etc." ranges at prices that CAN be cheaper than pound shops...This goes for a lot of things in Pound Shops! ;)

I don't think I bothered, as I re-painted the loco (except for the number plates) with Railmatch GWR green. Any "shadow" from the lettering would be pretty well lost under the new lettering. It may matter more if using a short transfer, such as the BR crests though.

The model is finished with a matt varnish.
Link to a photo that is too big to post on here...

I have now looked in my Transfers Box, and can confirm the sources of the transfers used on the Hornby 2721 0-6-0 PT.

The Route availability code discs and the buffer beam numbers are from a SMS GWR Loco Transfer sheet, waterslide.

The GWR Style "British Railways" lettering is from a PC Models (Now HMRS) "Pressfix" sheet no. 7 GWR Loco and Coach insignia.
Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....SR PMV Parkside Dundas Kit

Parkside Dundas PC36 SR (Ex SECR) PMV. Even Planked Version. Plastic Kit.

This is an older issue of the Kit, going by the packaging and instructions...C 1989...

This kit makes up into the South Eastern & Chatham Railway type van, and includes optional parts to make a Southern Railway Built version (1930s, Even Planked type).

The optional parts are the Chalk Boards, and side vents. The chalk boards may have been fitted to SECR vans, as the Bluebell Railway has one in SECR colours. (But this may not be fully authentic.)

http://www.bluebellrailway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/153.html

Southern Railway version...

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/mls2186.html

Romford metal disk wheels (Coach, 14mm type) and brass beraings are supplied, as are mountings for a Tri-ang Type MKIII Tension Lock Coupling.

Kit Packaging...

Instructions

The partially made up kit...

The roof is not glued on yet....painting and glazing to do first!

All the parts in the photos are supplied in the kit, except for the coupling hooks, which are whitemetal ones from out parts stock. Plastic hooks ARE provided though!

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....SR PMV Parkside Dundas Kit

II was wondering about the colour of the window bars.

Some real ones seem to have galvanised bars. Of course, the RTR ones have white lines printed onto the glazing (see Hornby Dublo / Wrenn models...).

Parkside Dundas kit...Part 2....Couplings fitted.

NEM Couplings Fitted...using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers.

The coupling pocket and hook are Hornby parts. (X.9289)

I am working on fitting NEM pockets on most of the Ffrwd Locks Rolling Stock...I may later fit NEM Kadees....all options open! ;)

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....SR CCT KIT Keyser- K's

Keyser (Ks) Plastic Kit. SR CCT 4-wheel Van. This kit dates from the 1980s.

I have aquired two of these kits.

As the sides are the same for the CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) as for the PMV (Parcels and Micelaneous Van) I am thinking of modifying one set of ends to make a PMV.

The Southern Railway carried on building what was a South Eastern & Chatham Railway design, adding extra ventilators to the sides below the windows.

The Ks kit has these moulded in, as well as the Chalk Boards below each window.

The side planking is "even planked", so this wagon is most probably a pre-WW2 build, as some later builds used two widths of planking on the sides.

There are no roof ventilators provided...some CCTs it seems did not have roof vents, or at least lost them later in their lifes.

It seems that the Southern Railway called the CCTs "COVCAR", and the Luggage (PMV) vans "PLV" Passengers Luggage Van. Some were lettered "LUGGAGE" in the bottom right corner.

So far, I have made a good start on one kit.

I have opened out the rounded corners of the windows, as the real ones are squared off.

The kit provides plastic Tension Lock Couplings, and Plastic "Mansell" Coach Wheels.

I have fitted Hornby metal 14.1 MM Coach Wheels, and NEM mountings from Parkside Dundas (PA34), with Hornby NEM couplings and pockets.

I have added a floor (not provided in the kit) and fitted a brake cylinder and other parts from a Parkside Dundas PMV kit (there are two sets in th eParkside kit).

A chunk of metal has been glued to the floor as a weight.

For the age of the kit, and the simplification made to the details to bring the costs down (one box has a price of £0.99 on it!) it isn't too bad.

I also have an ex Hornby Dublo Wrenn version, and that is being detailed. It compares well with the Ks Kit!

The Dapol OO gauge model is basically a re-toled Hornby Dublo / Wrenn body, but with the doors made part of the body, so they don't open!

The Bachmann models are probably better, but there is also the Parkside Dundas kits....see other posts for The Parkside kit I have...

The packaging and parts laid out...

The rather basic instructions...

Prototype pictures...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/linda_chen/45...12189?ytcheck=1

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se...nfo.asp?Ref=473

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/083431

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srcctdepa...75975#h1f1a8108

Also some more information....including models....

https://grahammuz.com/2012/03/16/talking-st...d-utility-vans/

There were bogie vans, the bodies of which look just like 2 of the 4-wheel van bodies mounted on a bogie chassis....some were modified to carry elephants!

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/carriages/...carriages/srguv
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....SR CCT KIT Keyser- K's

Keyser (Ks) Plastic Kit. SR CCT 4-wheel Van. Part 2

The part completed kit...

No weight fitted yet...

Underside shewing the Vacuum Brake cylinder, etc, spares from the Parkside Dundas Kit (please see other posts on here!).

One end....

Nem couplings fitted using Parkside Dundas NEM mountings (PA34) on plastic card spacers.

The coupling pocket and hook are Hornby parts. (X.9289)

RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....SR CCT. WRENN RTR modified

Wrenn (Ex Hornby Dublo) SR CCT modifications...

As part of our SR PLV/PMV and CCT collection (See kit built versions elswhere on this Forum...), this Wrenn BR Blue CCT (with opening doors!) is going to be re-painted into BR "Crimson" livery...Or possibly late Southern Railway livery...

The roof vents will be getting changed....

Going by the "Shell" type roof ventilatores, this model is based on a 1950s BR Built example. (The vents on earlier builds were of the "Torpedo" type...)

So far, the chassis has bore the brunt of the modifications.

The trussing has had the extra vertical braces removed, and also the V hanger on the "wrong" side, away from the vacuum cylinder.

There is to be another V hanger added alongside the Vacuum Cylinder, as in the Parkside Dundas kit built example...and possibly some brake linkage....the spare part box is to be raided.

The supplied wheels were spoked, and I believe that they "should" be coach sized disk wheels.

The Wrenn axle hangers were the "simple" plain ones...

Hornby Dublo used some neat axle hangers that have a representation of th ebrake shoes, in line with the wheels.

So, the wheel hangers were replaced with brake shoe ones from the spares box, the plastic moulded brake shoes attached to the solebar and springs being cut away.

The new wheels are Wrenn Disk Wheels, so probably a tad small, but they work better in the hangers than Hornby Pin-point ones...I did try!

Possibly brass bearings inserted into the holes in the hangers would work with pin-point axles, but we don't have any the right size...Yet! ;)

The Wrenn "Tri-ang" MKIII type couplings were unscrewed, and the mountings cut off carefully.

Parkside Dundas NEM mountings were modified by carefully trimming off the "upstand" so that the base fitted directly onto the bosses for the PECO type Hornby Dublo Couplings. This made the mountings just about the correct hight, matched to another NEM fitted wagon...

Hornby Nem Pockets and Narrow Tension Lock Couplings have been fitted.

The "scale" type coupling hooks are some of the last of the batch of white metal hooks from the spares boxes...

The opening doors will enable some posed pictures of loading and unloading...

It came missing one door, so has had a spare door fitted, a brown one!

The uneven planking on the body would make it an early BR example, as some later builds used Plywood sides. The uneven planking dates from the War years...

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Phew,

Almost a CCT overload !!
I've had fun building a few of those Parkside Dundas versions. Shame the prices went up early
this year, I did wonder where you'd got it at that price on the header !! Proves a well chosen stock
can save you £'s in the end.

Geoff T.
RuffnutThorston

Hi,thanks for the comments.

The Parside kit did cost me a little more than the dispayed price, as New Old Stock from Ebay...at the same time as I aquired the 2 K's examples, and the Wrenn, also the spare door!

Even so, the whole lot will probably work out cheaper than one Bachmann example! ;)
SRman

Post by SRman »

Like you, Sarah, I have a real mixture of ex-SR CCT/PMV vans, including the K's, Parkside and ex-Dublo/Wrenn variations. By far the worst runners are the Wrenn ones.

The Bachmann ones are very nice - I have two - but once running in a mixed train with varying degrees of weathering, seen at normal viewing distance, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

All I can say is it's a shame we have to wait so long before postings.
I always like what I see going on on your railway workings.

Geoff T.
RuffnutThorston

Hi SR Man...

Yes, for some of us, the difference is not that noticeable....especially when running a non-exhibition layout, with "your eyes only" watching! ;)

Dad-1...

Time is rationed....but I do have postings on several palces on the 'net....

I will try to be more regular here as well! ;)
RuffnutThorston

Oh....so not quite so regular! :oops:

The "finished" CCT and PLV models...see earlier postings for the work in progress...

Ks Plastic Kit SR CCT. (Roof Vents still needed...) SR Olive \Green "Southern Railway" and number transfers from the Ks Kit. Added BR Lettering. from HMRS (PC Models) BR Sheet.

Parkside Kit SR PLV SR Malachite Green "Southern " lettering and number transfers from the. HMRS (PC Models) SR Sheet.

WRENN CCT Modified. BR "Crimson" livery. BR Lettering.from HMRS (PC Models) BR Sheet.

Hornby Van C (Untouched save for NEM Kadee Couplings added...) and Wrenn CCT.

mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Looking great