OO 6x2 Small Layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
briantwigley

OO 6x2 Small Layout

Postby briantwigley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi all

Been away from the modelling for a little while due to a couple of moves, but finally settled in a nice house with a very appealing spare room. Not as big as I'd like but can't have it all.

I don't want to make it too complicated, I will probably give up if I make it too big. I fancied and L shape but I think this is probably a good start for now.

I've attached a photo of what I'm planning. I did it originally with code 100 but decided to try the code 75, it appears to be a lot more expensive but there are a couple more points than I originally had.

The idea is that it is a parcels terminus along the bottom lines. A DMU stopping point, or perhaps a fuelling area is the next line up. Then a small depot, with a 'headshunt' or basically somewhere to park things. The large space I think will be a hill leading up to some low relief flats, as if the running lines are in a cutting.

I've done many plans and this seems to be the best so far but I always like to get advice and see if anyone can help me improve it. The basic plan was adapted from here (http://www.freetrackplans.com/640-Royal-Mail.php).

Ryan
Attachments
streamline parcelssmall.png
streamline parcelssmall.png (24.25 KiB) Viewed 2471 times

skyblue

Re: OO 6x2 Small Layout

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:36 am

I think the plan looks good, but the lack of any 'offstage' storage or a fiddle yard does concern me slightly as it could limit operations. If you can't extend in length, why not try make the back part of the board a fiddle yard, accessed by a headshunt - someone on here there's an example of this being done (or at least a plan for it) but I can't find where.

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 am

That was my main concern. It is actually 6' 6'' and there is absolutely zero room for extension. I'm not allowed the other spare room that would give me 10ft plus..

whynot

Postby whynot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 am

A 24" depth is actually quite generous for a "shelf" plan, especially if mainly goods etc rather than a passenger station. Fiddle yard to rear as in "third approach" here http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/shelf-layout.htm combined with the "piano line" concept of the access from fiddle kick back INTO the run round loop shown in last layout plan shown on the link page. Again this is best with non-passenger operations.

Just a thought! In itself I like your plan.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:55 am

The original idea as linked-to had an allocated "offstage" space, and one way or another that would seem worth aiming for.
Whether at the back for best visual effect or at the front for ease of operation/access.

The source plan was thinking of "one loco plus one coach" or a pair of DMU's.
(in this sort of space the length of the loco becomes quite significant: class 25, 35?)

There is quite a lot of depth to play with, however.
The bold Idea I think won't quite come off, but I've not tried drawing it out exactly: a train turntable.
I can't see 18" or even 20" being workable, though these would allow at least one full length front line, in addition to a couple of 4ft rear storage lines, the possibility of more than one entrance to the yard (giving one end of any "run-round"), and easy reversal so that any train leaving engine first can also arrive engine first.
A 2ft turntable would be be a major, major decision, but with two tracks on it and two hidden storage lines, the hidden storage and the operational flexibility would be considerable.

Otherwise, as whynot has suggested a kickback fiddleyard seems inviting (at front or back, as seems best), but were it me, I'd consider a train-length sector plate rather than using one or more points. A single-track sector plate with four exits, two to storage and two to yard, would be less than a foot deep, and compared to a turntable the only thing lost would be the ability to put a loco at the "right end" of its train without handling.

I fully acknowledge that I am known for considering and even executing unorthodox ideas. I don't deny it.

Hmm. I've just thought of a seemingly simple way of "indexing" or getting alignment of tracks for such a hidden sector plate or even turntable.
Bother. I must think more... It's genius or madness, but that's what my brain does.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

Is there a solid wall at either end? A removeable head shunt sticking out of one end when operating would give you access to a greater area of the board. Could you cut off a corner and have a headshunt that came out at an angle? If all these fail I would take a track behind a scenic feature and pivot it as a sector plate to allow access to some hidden tracks.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 am

There is a wall at the left side, the door needs to open on the right end, so in theory I could use a cassette to load on a small train when the door is closed.

I did want to keep it quite simple, however even though I find 6ft is quite a big space, I'm used to N not OO so it's not really possible to fit on what I want. The L shape idea would give me an extra 3ft along the other wall under the window, but there is a cupboard at the end that needs to open, and to be honest, I don't fancy all that woodwork, I don't even know how I'm going to do this board yet. The last board I had was built for me.

Obviously the choice of parcels means Class 47s, maybe some 40s which we know are rather long, 10" ish each, which means it effectively takes up 1/6th of my board.

I will have to re-think whether what I want to do is feasible in the space, I tend to get a blank when I sit on any rail.

The idea of it coming off at an angle is interesting, perhaps a board that is wider at the top than the bottom. Hard to put into Anyrail but I can give it a go.

Ryan

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:30 pm

If woodwork isn't your passion I'd go for building it on a single block of Kingspan insulation with 3mm foamcore board for the front face and surrounding backscene. Wiring and point control has to be above board but it's easy to bury wire in tube for points and wire for power feeds. I discovered Kingspan when we had building work done it's amazingly rigid and almost too light.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:20 pm

I have seen that used before but I would probably prefer to go with wood, something like 9mm ply and some 2x1 bracing.

I've spent some time fiddling with plans and while I could get a decent fiddle yard at the top, it would need lots of complicated kickback arrangements to get any stock to the scenic area.

I'll have to keep trying and see what I can do

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:35 pm

briantwigley wrote:I...and while I could get a decent fiddle yard at the top, it would need lots of complicated kickback arrangements to get any stock to the scenic area.

To my mind's eye that's exactly where a train-length sector plate would work nicely,with two exits to the scenic area.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Track/Layout Design”