Dynamis playing up.

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
bristolmidland

Dynamis playing up.

Postby bristolmidland » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:42 pm

My Dynamis has started to lay up after a couple of months inactivity. I have changed the batteries but the problem persists. It will be OK for a while and then the speed control goes to max all of a sudden without any input. My layout is in the loft but I keep my controllers downstairs in the warm. I also have an NEC procab which is working OK but I do like the simplicity of the Dynamis even if I can never make the rachet up work on any of my locos.
On top of everything else my football team is owned by chicken farmers.

hairyhandedfool

Re: Dynamis playing up.

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm

It is an issue with dirt in the controller (dust and stuff like that), particularly around the Joystick. I have seen it suggested that WD40 squirted into the joystick area does clean it up, however, I would advise against using WD40 in electronic equipment. If you can open up the controller it may be possible to clean the pad under the joystick with other materials.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 am

Obtain a canister of pressurised air as used by the electronic service technicians etc and blast air into the joy stick opening. This should, if the air blast is applied correctly, blow out any dust and other crud. It wont invalid any warranty or cause any residue to be left. :)
This is an example though rather expensive!... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/durable-powerclean-airduster-400ml-a11ku
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:32 am

Saw some air duster in Wilko's yesterday, much cheaper than that but might have been a smaller can.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Just to elaborate on Rogers post...
The air duster can from wilko's is £3.99 for 350ml (compared to the Maplins one Flashbang linked to which is £12.99 for 400ml)
Or even cheaper, £1.00 from poundland, although i'm not sure what size can it is.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Oh come on, it was just an example of the item, and I did say it was an expensive item! But then most things are in Maplins!
But well done for finding good value cans of compressed air. :D

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:59 pm

Flashbang wrote:Oh come on, it was just an example of the item, and I did say it was an expensive item! But then most things are in Maplins!
But well done for finding good value cans of compressed air. :D

Sorry Flashbang I didn't mean to sound condescending :?
But just for those who like options, here is the ULTIMATE in cheap compressed air..........
Image :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:22 pm

For those 'clean off' blasts of compressed air I keep an old spare tyre pumped up with a hose adaptor bought for pennies in the USA. Cheap, me?

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:57 pm

A little word of caution if using non canister air blasts, do be very careful that no moisture has condensed in the device being used and is then emitted in the air flow. Any excessive amount of moisture entering an electronic area may cause problems that were not meant to occur! :o

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 pm

My Dynamis dosen't play up anymore
I just don't use it !!
Sitting in the loft (batteries out) one Pro Box, Command Station & three throttles.

Heaven help me - I find Selects work much better (so long as you don't have to programme decoders)

Now in the market for a decent system, perhaps Digitrax.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:29 am

I've had my dynamis now for years without an ounce of problem (other than needing a new handset when I spilt a can of Cider over the old one a month after I bought it!! :oops: ). I use it in my garden shed, it stays in there all year round in every extreme of temperature the UK can throw at it and in the fairly dusty environment of the shed. It still does the same job it has always done and controls the trains round my garden with effortless ease as it has done for at least the past six or seven years. If your handset is going to the max without you touching it as you have said, I would suggest that is nothing to do with the toggle switch and all to do with a non repairable electronic fault in the circuitry of the handset.

Dad-1 if you are looking to relieve yourself of your dynamis pro I'm sure i could find it a home.. :wink: I only have the original non pro one :|
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

TheOne

Postby TheOne » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:22 am

So would people generally recommend this for a DCC controller? It would be my first one, once I get my layout built. How old is the Dynamis now? (And does that matter). I don't know if I'd need to use a laptop with the controller. I see there's a new one - Dynamis Ultima, that has a USB port so you can use a laptop, but that's listed at £250 on hattons, which seems a bit steep! £100 for a USB port considering the Dynamis is selling for £100-£150 on ebay and various places.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:08 am

TheOne wrote:So would people generally recommend this for a DCC controller? It would be my first one, once I get my layout built. How old is the Dynamis now? (And does that matter). I don't know if I'd need to use a laptop with the controller. I see there's a new one - Dynamis Ultima, that has a USB port so you can use a laptop, but that's listed at £250 on hattons, which seems a bit steep! £100 for a USB port considering the Dynamis is selling for £100-£150 on ebay and various places.

Hi
AFAIK the new Dynamis Ultima is the combination of the old Dynamis basic plus the Pro Box with the addition of a USB interface. All reworked by ESU and is basically a rebranded version of their Navigator set. http://www.esu.eu/en/products/digital-control/navigator/introduction/ This sells currently for £209 from Digitrains! http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/dcc-systems/mid-range/esu-navigator.aspx

Return to “Bachmann”