New Farish Duchess

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
michaelasc

New Farish Duchess

Postby michaelasc » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 am

Just noticed that some of the new Farish Duchesses have arrived at Hattons. I have been waiting for these.

Anyone had their hands on one yet?
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

ParkeNd

Re: New Farish Duchess

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:02 am

Pages 76 and 77 of this month's Railway Modeler carry a superb review of a blue version but even another forum you would expect to see comments on doesn't have any yet. You have been very observant in seeing Hattons green and black versions in stock. Maybe many of the initial shipments are held up in the current online delivery delays.

The RM review says the model tracks very straight and true which would have been my concern with a model of this length following a brief flirtation with an A4 which didn't. Seems as though there will be many happy people when the postman does finally arrive. In my mind I always envisage these in maroon and maybe that is the colour people are waiting for? Could also be that those of us used to £85 Farish locos are still trying to get used to the idea of a £127 loco - but it does seem worth it though from the RM review.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:07 am

ParkeNd wrote:..You have been very observant in seeing Hattons green and black versions in stock...

Almost looks like Bachmann don't know they have shipped them: they put up a news item about the production samples on the 9th December, with no mention that availability was imminent. http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=223 What they also show on their GF products page is that the maroon versions are in stock at Barwell as indicated by the green tick, only the Blue livery is marked Dec/Jan.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies and positive comments.

I went ahead and ordered the green City of Birmingham and maroon City of Coventry and will let you know what I think when they come.

If I like them I feel I will also have to get the black City of Bradford and maybe the green Duchess of Hamilton and red City of London. I have both of the latter in the opposite colour schemes so not sure I really want duplicate locos unless they are so much better than the originals.

Michael

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm

There are now lots of reactions at last on this new model on another website. They seem to be split between great happiness with the new loco, and extensive discussions about the accuracy or otherwise of the front bogie. The people who are really happy with it made the best reading in my opinion.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:36 pm

Well the two models arrived this morning from Hattons and I am ever so happy. They are superb models and must be among the best ever produced by Farish. The detail is amazing and the new coreless motor allows extra smooth running. It even comes with traction tyres which adds to the pulling power.

I particularly like the see through wheels, the wire handrails and the new pickup mechanism on the tender. The pickups are now reminiscent of Kato with brass holders instead of contacts and the power is now fed via wires between the tender and the locomotive through specially created opening low down either side of the connector. You can't see them from normal viewing distance but what it means is that even at slow speed across points there is no loss of pickup capability.

I am one happy camper and will ordering at least 2 more.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:36 pm

Mine regrettably has failed with the worm gear slipping over it's mating gear - it just sits on the track and makes a loud grating and buzzing noise. It's just being repacked to return it.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 pm

To be honest with you one of mine had a tendency to do that as well. However because I have two I was able to look at the second and determine where the fault lay. A minuscule drop of super glue to secure the holding bracket did the trick. I was able to run it in one hour in each direction and since then have had it at the head of an 8 coach train with no problems whatsoever.

Personally I think the holding mechanism for the new motor is suspect but the above fixes it.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks for confirming my Duchess is not the only one with a problem. The supplying shop sounded like they has heard the problem before too. I'm not into band aid fixes myself so it has ready been posted back. For £127 I want a good product. I'll wait until they have an engineering fix in for it. Thanks anyway.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Understood. I ordered 2 more from Hattons and expect to have them in about a week. Because I live in the USA I get them with no VAT which means I get 'em for just over 100 quid. Mind you if I end up having to send them back I would easily spend a tenner each to return one, hence I am more likely to fix if I can if it is a simple job. I was only able to fix the one I did because I had another one in perfect running order and was able to see where the issue lay.

I will let you know how I get on with the next 2 which are the green Duchess of Hamilton and the black City of Bradford.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:03 am

I had half guessed your fix was driven by your location. My green Duchess of Hamilton was refunded today and the refund invoice is marked up to show they replicated the fault and it was NOT to be returned to stock but returned to supplier faulty/damaged. So you can be sure you won't get mine posted to you.

Let us know how your new pair go when you receive them. I decided not to risk another Batch One model, and because it was a present ordered one of Hattons last two DC Dapol Halls instead. Hopefully this will be good. Strangely I have perfect luck with new diesels and tiny steamers, but both recent big locos - an A4 and the Duchess - have been dogs.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:54 pm

The green Duchess of Hamilton and the black City of Bradford arrived yesterday and are perfect. The black one is really impressive.

I ran them in for an hour each way as directed and not a flaw. I did take a peek inside too and can confirm that neither had the faulty motor clip.

I particularly like the way the tender picks up power. To me it looks like they replicated the mechanism used by Kato where and replaced the wipers with independent bushes that pick up the power direct from the wheels. The power is transferred back to the locomotive by wires rather than relying on the joint between the loco and the tender. I like this.

Hope this helps.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Am I correct in thinking that 46229 is going to be released in a set with three grey/blue Mk1s & a signal box? Im sure I read this as a future launch & the set is called "Ais Gill"(?)
If so, I will be interested as the extra coach set would be useful.
Im quite sure I saw this listed as £127.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Phipps said: Am I correct in thinking that 46229 is going to be released in a set with three grey/blue Mk1s & a signal box?

Hello, that is correct. However it will be a maroon 46229 not the green one that is currently on sale.

Here's a link at Hattons:http://www.ehattons.com/71917/Graham_Farish_370_500_Cumbrian_Mountain_Express_Train_Pack_with_Coronation_Class_46229_Duchess_of_Hami/StockDetail.aspx

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks for the news about the second two Duchess's. Glad they worked out. Hattons news letter today says they have received new batches so it is probably safe to buy a Duchess now.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”