Which DCC System for shunting

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Tom@Crewe

Which DCC System for shunting

Postby Tom@Crewe » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:50 pm

I am looking at a OO shunting layout.

I am going to use Peco 75 track, and only operate one loco at a time. Its 9' x 2'

I have been looking at the Hornby elink. Are there any pitfalls to using this control with this layout?

Or is there a better way for this shunting layout?
Never enough time...........

Brossard

Re: Which DCC System for shunting

Postby Brossard » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:05 pm

I think it's going to be more down to your locos and decoders than the DCC system. I have no experience of the Hornby DCC system but I am suspicious. For me, I would choose a system from one of the DCC manufacturers - Lenz, NCE, Digitrax etc., rather than one from Bachmann or Hornby. Recently I have had cause to analyze two locos whose performance wasn't the best (Hornby's newest version of the 4F and the BR 5MT). In both cases they had Hornby decoders and when these were replaced with one from the major DCC manufacturers, performance improved markedly.

Avoid older locos - these usually have mechanism not best suited for shunted - ie they have high gear ratios. The more recent models from the main manufacturers have mechanisms more suited to their duty.

I would also add that IMO, have frog polarity switched on your points - this will ensure that power is flowing through all parts of the point - I assume these are electrofrog.

John
John

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:18 pm

The only older models from Hornby that I would consider for shunting using DCC or DC are those they bought in from Dapol, j94/Austerity, Terrier and Pug, and I'd think twice about that last one. As with any 0-4-0 if it's not going to stall or rely on stay alive capacitors (which won't fit inside it) the trackwork will have to be perfect with live frogs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Some decoders can be switched into shunting mode, effectively altering the speed curve to give better control at low speeds.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “DCC Forum”