Gauge 1 A4

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Havoc

Re: Gauge 1 A4

Post by Havoc »

You can throw £3900 Lawrie Loveless's way for a fully finished ready to run brass A4

Gauge 1 model company are bringing out a live steam one for under £3000 later this year
For that amount of money, you can fit out a model engineering shop and build one yourself, any other one you like after that and have years of fun.
Expert in non-working solutions
forest446

Post by forest446 »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
90733 wrote:
Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Gauge 1 is certainly something that can't be done on a budget
I think it could be if though out cleverley ;)
Accucraft have said they will be making 4472 and a B4? Tank engine.
True but there is still the track to consider
loads of track i aquired it ages ago from a random bloke on a car boot sale thats all up an runs fine amazing £50 bargain
just need the april lift on over time now
A railroad engineer must be sure not to loose his train of thought or he might go down the wrong track.
Rosiejim

Re: Gauge 1 A4 loco experience

Post by Rosiejim »

Can someone tell me what recompense we have against these one man band garage industry people, that try to give the impression they are a worthwhile company, but then refuse to live up to their commitments.? As a member of GIMRA, I purchased at their AGM, a kit for a resin bodied A4 loco, cost 1000 pounds. I then asked a trader who lives near Leeds and advertises in the GIMRA journal every month if he would build it. He gave a delivery date as six months, at a cost of 2000 pounds. Two years later, after many e mails, and phone calls I collected it but there were problems only apparent after I was home. It's been back 3 times now, motor not fitted properly, wheels wobbly and loose on axles, rear bogie fouls gears and flops about,etc. My problem is he will not now respond to my e mails or return telephone calls, when I've again asked him to put it right or return my money and he can keep the loco. As a nearly 70 yr old pensioner, that loco took a lot of saving for. Does anyone know anyone who would at a price rectify his shoddy work for me? I thought I was safe with this trader as he exhibits his work at most GIMRA events, and indeed his partner does fantastic work painting and lineing , but I think this kit once he got it proved a bit too much for him and now wants to move on. Any suggestions anyone as to turning this loco into a runner, I think I've got to forget the 2000 quid, but would like to save something from this unfortunate experience.
Rosiejim

Post by Rosiejim »

I wish to apologise for my hasty comments that I recently made on this forum, regarding a trader I had dealt with. The man was away at the time, which I was unaware of. He has got back to me now and has kindly offered me a loco on loan while he builds me a complete new chassis free of charge. This is to my complete satisfaction, and restores my faith in this dealer. I am sorry for any distress I have given him, and will state that I will now go back to him in the future and I recommend him for the way he has rectified my concerns.
Delticrumbler

Post by Delticrumbler »

Hello forest 446,
if you haven´t decided yet for a kit I would propose scratchbuilding.
My A4 in G scale costs me only 150,00 GBP(plus 300 hours work).
The difference between building in 1:25 or 1:32 isn´t realy a problem.
Kind regards
Soeren
whynot

Post by whynot »

"My A4 in G scale costs me only 150,00 GBP(plus 300 hours work)."

Even retired I value my time at a tenner an hour (and the older I get it increases, as I have less of it left!). Working, 3x that!So I'd sooner save a grand and BUY!

But it looks very good.
Old Man Phil

Post by Old Man Phil »

An excellent source of information regarding a Gauge 1 A4 is David Brown, Owner of JPL Models in Tyldesley, Manchester.. His number is 01942-896138. I believe he produces a kit.
davidarf

Post by davidarf »

I have only just joined this forum and so have come a little late to this thread. I note the comments about G1 being expensive and this has been a problem for many potential enthusiasts, but the market has changed substantially in the past 12 to 18 months. When I was looking to buy or build an A4 I saw the offerings mentioned above, but could not justify paying £3000 or £3900 for an electric locomotive. About 3 years ago I managed to find one of the last of the Accucraft electric A3s for about £1000. This is an excellent model which is well built and runs very smoothly. The answer to my desire for an A4 was resolved with the live steam offering from Bowande marketed by Kingscale (http://www.kingscalelivesteam.co.uk/LNERA4.php ). This cost me less than the two electric offerings mentioned above and is a fully working 3 cylinder locomotive. It can be seen in action at about 1.5 minutes into this film http://youtu.be/B6x4Avl_BEQ .

Accucraft are also making a strong move into this scale Their LSWR/SR B4 tank was another excellent model, again live steam, for less than £1000. They also have a GWR 61XX out and the example of that seen at a recent steamup performed beautifully. Further models from them expected in the new year include the live steam A3 and Tornado. The expected price for the A3 in live steam should be well below the prices quotes for the electric A4s.

Whist it still cannot be said that this is an inexpensive hobby, the signs are good for a move towards more reasonable prices.