Hornby 4F R3030 LMS livery

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
GWR_fan

Hornby 4F R3030 LMS livery

Post by GWR_fan »

Arriving in this morning's post was a Hornby R3030, 4F in LMS black livery. While not as detailed as the Bachmann model, this loco surprised me with its smooth running qualities. All wheel pickup and decoder plug in the tender make for a very easy DCC installation. The detail, although traced back to its Airfix heritage (1970's?), is quite fine and to my eyes represents the prototype very well.

I was after an iconic LMS goods locomotive and this model more than satisfies my wishes. Running qualities are superb with loco drive and power pickup on all wheels including the tender wheels. The loco was purchased new at a knockdown price that I simply could not ignore.

Yes, alas it does have traction tyres, but I feel still makes for a very nice locomotive.

Tim
Brossard

Re: Hornby 4F R3030 LMS livery

Post by Brossard »

Well done Tim. My friend has one and removed the tyres - it seems to run OK without them. He was also miffed at its running qualities so I took a look. Sure enough it did run lumpily. Usually I like to adjust some of the CVs (like start voltage) but my NCE wouldn't read the decoder, which I thought was odd. For a laugh, I stuck in a DCC Concepts decoder and it ran like a champ after that. I'm pretty sure the decoder I removed was Hornby (he had the shop install it) but I have no idea which R#.

It is a nice running loco with the right decoder, but the body is very dated, although Hornby did a good job with extra decoration like builder's plates. Probably the biggest issue is oversize splashers. Brassmasters will shortly sell correct size splashers: http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/replacement_splashers.htm

The reason that the Hornby and Bachmann 4F have oversize splashers (Bachmann's are a bit finer than Hornby's I think) is to accommodate 00 wheels. Modern 00 wheels are finer than those available when the original 4F was tooled. Something to think about methinks.

John
John
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

John,
at full retail it does not compare favourably with the Bachmann model, however, for less than 60% of the Bachmann price it is a good compromise. I was really not expecting too much but was more than pleased with it.

Tim
Brossard

Post by Brossard »

I do agree, mine's the Bachmann, I haven't much patience for traction tyres.

John
John
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Brossard wrote:...it did run lumpily. Usually I like to adjust some of the CVs (like start voltage) but my NCE wouldn't read the decoder, which I thought was odd. For a laugh, I stuck in a DCC Concepts decoder and it ran like a champ after that. I'm pretty sure the decoder I removed was Hornby (he had the shop install it) but I have no idea which R#...
I bought one of the batch of B17s that became available at year start, it happened that the cheapest deal was DCC fitted. As received lacked smoothness at low speed, both jittery and lumpy. Took the Hornby decoder out, and it immediately ran better on an old DC resistance controller. The Hornby decoder degraded the basic mechanism performance. It's now in use as a light switch in a Pullman set, which is about the level of its capability.
Brossard

Post by Brossard »

Agree. The only Hornby decoder I ever bought was for the light switch in my non driving trailer of Cl 108.

John
John
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

If you get hold of a spare driving wheel, non traction tyre fitted, you should be able simply push the metal tyres off the rim of wheels and swop them over.