point derailment ?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
shaun2000

point derailment ?

Postby shaun2000 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 pm

i have got a brand new hornby point it derails my bachmann locos and wagons inc hornby ones too anyone shed any light i was going to use this on my show layout but i put the old one back in .

Richard Lee

Re: point derailment ?

Postby Richard Lee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:05 am

On my first layout I used Hornby points. When I shunted wagons through the curved path of the point, from the narrow end to the end with 2 tracks, I sometimes had wagons derail. All my locomotives and passenger coaches were Hornby at that time.

What I am fairly sure the problem was, was that I used Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann wagons, with their original (tension-lock) couplings. I have read that tension-lock couplings from different manufacturers are not completely compatible, particularly with fairly tight (such as radius 2) curves. (The normal Hornby, Peco Set-track etc. points are equivalent to radius 2 curves for their curved paths, which means that they are even tighter in some places.) There didn't seem to be so many problems when Hornby was coupled with Hornby, Bachmann with Bachmann, and so on. I used to try and arrange goods trains in combinations that didn't cause so many problems.

There are two better solutions to this:

1) Change the couplings so that all stock has the same type of coupling;

2) Change to flexi-track with points that have more generous radii.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:27 pm

I know the older hornby curved points had an issue with the check rails being too close to the frog. The result was that the check rails wouldn't guide the wheels properly through the point, so they can go down the wrong route and derail. The solution with these is to glue a very thin piece of plasticard to the outer edge of the check rail. This widens the check gauge and allows the points to work properly. Not sure if this has been fixed on the newer points.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:40 pm

shaun2000 wrote:i have got a brand new hornby point it derails my bachmann locos and wagons inc hornby ones too anyone shed any light i was going to use this on my show layout but i put the old one back in .

Now that you have taken the new point off the layout, can you set it up on a piece of scrap with track leading into it and out of it: does rolling stock still derail? If no, there was a problem with the way in which it was laid on the layout. If yes, there is a problem with the new point.

Was the old point also Hornby? If so, it appears that there is something wrong with the new point - can you take it back to the supplier and get an exchange or a refund? If you can't, try driving locos or rolling wagons that derail very slowly through the point to see where they are coming off and what is causing this.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Hello, I usually find the derailment is set up before the point and when it gets to the point it derails, so check in making the change that you have not opened up a rail gap on an outside rail, a new Hornby point should be fine, the other usual cause eis that the wheel track is to large/small for 16.5mm track gauge it comes out about 14.6mm it takes little to get this wrong.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:39 pm

You don't say why the point is a new one yet you emphasise this. Does this replace an old point - or is it an addition to an existing layout to form an extension to your layout?

Small radius points joined directly at the exit of a curve are really pushing a toy train to stay on the rails. Having a short straight, even of two or three inches before the point will give the trains a chance to get composed before being deflected fairly violently to the left or right again. I say this because your problem is often voiced on forums and the gnarled old hands advise the use of the short straight to head off the inevitable. As it happens I followed the advice and have never had a derail at a point - others deride it and take their chance.

Return to “Track/Layout Design”