Muchadoabouttoys

What do you want from a model railway shop?
BrowntheRockCat

Muchadoabouttoys

Post by BrowntheRockCat »

Great shop in Stratford - stocks plenty of model railway equipment + many other toys and robotic things! Also suppliers to The Gadget Show on channel 5
Here they are: CV37 6YW
next to kwik fit. Limited parking.
Bufferstop

Re: Muchadoabouttoys

Post by Bufferstop »

Go round to the multi storey car park on the gyratory system opposite M.A.A.T. first hour's FREE. It's about the only thing in Stratford that is :)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
REFaust

Post by REFaust »

I presume you mean Stratford-Upon-Avon and not Stratford, London? lol

R E Faust
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

to be or not to be, that is the question me old san , was William Shakespear a cockney :? ?

On a serious note, a friend of mine told me (in his opinion) that he thought their prices generally were a little on the expensive side.

Never been to that shop to be honest, but if & when I do, I think I'd rather go by train rather than struggle to find a parking space.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
NickR

Post by NickR »

I also think they're a but on the pricey side, but it's a fascinating shop.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Yup he's always been pricey, seems to do a lot of trade with the "must have it" collectors who pre order. Once beat him down to a tenner for a Collet 0-6-0 as a non runner. Someone had taken it apart and mixed up the screws in the split frame, causing a short circuit. A good model shop would have sussed that and got a decent price for it. He does carry some materials but not a wide selection. Parking isn't really a problem as the Bridgefoot multi storey (200 yds) is rarely more than half full. Most Stratford residents complain of parking problems if they can't stop outside the door. 10:30 on a Friday morning and the boards still show 1200 places available. PS don't arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 on Saturday morning, that's when the sheep all try to drive into town at the same time. Twenty minutes later, no problem!

0121 it's a brisk 10-15minute walk from the station in February. (That's when there are no meandering tourists in the way) Just follow the signs for the town centre, past M&S and turn left at Mothercare. It's straight ahead.
BrowntheRockCat

Post by BrowntheRockCat »

Thank you for all your comments - especially the ones about parking!!
They are a little expensive, but it is a very well stocked shop and they can be negotiated down on price (but only a little bit).
Even if you are not interested in buying, it is a very interesting shop to look around, and the staff are very friendly and will source anything you need. One of the staff overheard me saying to my friend that one of the racing cars had the gadget show logo on it, and told me all about how they supply them and showed me some of the items from the past shows!

And yes, I did mean Stratford-Upon-Avon, Sorry!
mikeharvey23

Post by mikeharvey23 »

This shop is now closed. In receivership since October 2013.

Mike
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Yup, it was very odd. I was in there a couple of days before it closed, no sign of shortage of stock and the usual contingent of staff. Not what you expect to see in a business which is about to close down. The business pages that I saw said it was voluntarily in Liquidation, which is, technically, slightly different to receivership, still leaves a big hole in the UKModelShops map of Warwickshire and Worcestershire borders.
John W
aka Bufferstop