East Coast Help...

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
N-ooby

East Coast Help...

Postby N-ooby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Guys,

I am now at my wits end trying to come up with a design for my layout, I just cant come up with anything that I want to start building.....can anybody help?

I am looking to start something based on the East Coast Mainline, I really like Doncaster and York stations so would like to do something similar to one of them. My baseboard is going to be 2.6m x 1m (can stretch to 1.3m) and ideally a through station with also some terminating platforms. I currently have a couple of Class 91 GNER's along with a few 170's, 158's and also some 66's that will pass through with hoppers and tankers.

Could anyone make any suggestions for a layout or point me in the right direction of finding something online. I have been using AnyRail with my designs so far but just not happy with anything yet.

Thanks in advance

Matt

whynot

Re: East Coast Help...

Postby whynot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 am

Not EC specific, but have you had a browse here:

http://www.freetrackplans.com/Home.php

just a thought!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:25 am

N-ooby wrote:Hi Guys,

I am now at my wits end trying to come up with a design for my layout, I just cant come up with anything that I want to start building.....can anybody help?

I am looking to start something based on the East Coast Mainline, I really like Doncaster and York stations so would like to do something similar to one of them. My baseboard is going to be 2.6m x 1m (can stretch to 1.3m) and ideally a through station with also some terminating platforms. I currently have a couple of Class 91 GNER's along with a few 170's, 158's and also some 66's that will pass through with hoppers and tankers.

Could anyone make any suggestions for a layout or point me in the right direction of finding something online. I have been using AnyRail with my designs so far but just not happy with anything yet.

Thanks in advance

Matt

How about Edinburgh Waverley, just do one end from the tunnels to the end of the canopies and leave the rest to the imagination.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Is this N gauge? If it's OO you don't really have enough space for something like that.

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:24 pm

jon_1066 wrote:Is this N gauge? If it's OO you don't really have enough space for something like that.

I assumed the clue was in the Board name!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

N-ooby

Postby N-ooby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi,

Yeah sorry, this will be in N Gauge :)

N-ooby

Re: East Coast Help...Updated

Postby N-ooby » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:24 am

Right, I have come up with something.....any feedback/criticism will be greatly appreciated...

The station is on the bottom left corner, 2 x through platforms and 3 terminating platforms. The bottom right hand corner is a small maintenance building.

Also on the right is a 4 lane flyover as a scenic break

The purple coloured area's I am yet to decide on, I am wanting some kind of busy town/city scene, shops and businesses etc, no homes.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 pm

N-ooby, I post my version of a 4 track through station with additional 2 track through lines. This is OO and the station with curves fits in 4 metres so it would be 2 metres in N scale leaving in my money 1.2m for fiddle yards etc.

The idea is to have the main approach as per Huddersfield which was on a 4 track main line and from the west approached through a tunnel which came out under the Halifax Road bridge (you might look at Pennine Steam videos by Geoffrey Whitwham on You Tube Vol 1)

My version has thus from the left
Platform and station building on the left (not in place)
3 lines going away then platform
1 line away
1 line both ways
1 line towards then next platform
2 lines slow towards
1 line away contraflow for up/down line
platform
2 lines toward that come down in the distance and go up towards the camera

This could be converted so the right lines are terminal.

Option gives the chance to operate a good range of stock, through stations would see much more freight and especially van and parcel stock prevalent in the early 60's whereas a terminal passenger station would see quite a lot of local trains so you will get more out of a through station, anyway whatever it's an idea to think about it.

[img][IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/kristopher1805/New%20Towcaster/DSCF0864_zps1c11afec.jpg[/img][/img]

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:50 am

Have you considered modelling a real location?

Imagined locations with double levels of track, bridges and tunnels, and two stations within about three feet of each other, just don't exist in the main and leave you having to solve engineering and layout problems for yourself.

In N gauge, even a modest layout of say 6ft 6 ins x 2 ft 6 ins has a diagonal of about 8 ft which, if used along with a twin track outer loop gives you a lot of running. If you make the fiddle yard at the front of the layout then you can run trains in both end to end mode AND just watch the trains go by.

I used this on a real location (See Rails through the Forest in N Gauge on this forum) to model Parkend in the Forest Of Dean. In your area ther must be a similar type of location that has a station with goods facility on a run around loop, and a junction by the station exit from a mineral line or similar. What appealed to me about this location were trains running past both the fronts and sides of houses for real, and the number of times the railway crossed the road ( 4 times in 400 yards).

You may have been put off by the prospect of scratch building. There is no need to worry on this front since scratch building houses, shops, station buildings, and goods sheds with Dahler board (used for picture framing) and clad with genuine Slaters Plastikard is very easy - far easier than manipulating titchy bits of plastic kits.

I used the track plans of the real location in a book on railways in the Forest of Dean. I am certain there are books on railways in areas in your part of the country that now exist only in simplified form like a preserved railway. I "restored" Parkend to how it used to be - and seeing it come back to its former life is part of the fun.

But make sure you build the scenery to give a sense of perspective and scale. Watching a train running around an overstuffed collection of rails on a baseboard is one thing - but watching it run right past houses, between fences, across roads whilst cars wait, and on to join a another line at a junction is really stepping up a couple of gears.

Also with N you have a chance to create a sense of space - so a railway in the countryside with plenty of Gaugemaster/Noch 6mm long grass is preferable in my view to a buildings intense location like a town with two bridges, a second station up in the air, a girder bridge, three factories, a high street full of low relief shops, and a 12 rail shunting yard.

jon_1066

Postby jon_1066 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 pm

A few things spring to mind with the plan.

If a train enters from the left it cant stop at a platform without going up the branchline.

Access to the maintenance could come from a headshunt in the station. This will allow a larger area to modelled and also protect the main line without the need for trap points.

The facing crossovers in the station are then not needed

eg
FinalFinalFinal_zps678823c5.jpg
FinalFinalFinal_zps678823c5.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

Good luck with your build

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:39 am

Just a question prompted by the new Editor of the NGS Journal.

If your railway was real what was the purpose of it being built in the first place? Why did it exist at all?

This is not criticism but just helps with your layout. People didn't just lay rails and then plonk down a station hoping that people would get on or off the trains there. Nor so that loco enthusiasts could drive trains around on it.

So why is your railway there ?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am

ParkeNd wrote:Just a question prompted by the new Editor of the NGS Journal.

If your railway was real what was the purpose of it being built in the first place? Why did it exist at all?

This is not criticism but just helps with your layout. People didn't just lay rails and then plonk down a station hoping that people would get on or off the trains there. Nor so that loco enthusiasts could drive trains around on it.

It is worth remembering that this argument can be expanded historically, some locations and track layouts are not the most logical for current operations, but have developed from facilities which were appropriate for an earlier era of railway operation.

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 am

"So why is your railway there ?"

Because it's a toy and that's the space in which I have to fit it. I can understand (an economic historian by education!) and admire such an evidence based approach to the whys and whens, but I feel no need to endow what is a to me a simple pass-time (sic) with such veracity!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:07 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:Just a question prompted by the new Editor of the NGS Journal.

It is worth remembering that this argument can be expanded historically, some locations and track layouts are not the most logical for current operations, but have developed from facilities which were appropriate for an earlier era of railway operation.

jim

Hi Jim - if they have developed then there is more need for the railway - which is ?

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Suggested location as a basis - Durham is on the ECML with a curved viaduct and a high level station over ta fascinating city for added interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durham_railway_station
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “Track/Layout Design”