New bi-weekly magazine with OO models steam loco's.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Pennine MC

Re: New bi-weekly magazine with OO models steam loco's.

Postby Pennine MC » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:37 am

GWR_fan wrote:One is always told that tooling costs prohibit the release of many models. That said, how can these 'copies' be churned out for such miniscule amounts? Similarly the Hachette Mk1 coaches. Will the big boys one day come clean about actual production costs or will we be continually told that old line as to how expensive tooling is?

Much as I'm old and cynical Tim, I dont share your scepticism here. Once someone has done the hard work of tooling up an accurate model to satisfy 'our' part of the hobby, it would be relatively easy for the Chinese to make a model of that model. I dont even think it's anything new - just think about all the cheap toys of our youth; planes, tanks, lorries and whatever, many bearing a striking resemblance to plastic kits or diecasts of the time.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 am

Yep they've been doing it for years. If you look closely at those packets of "people" you can pick up for peanuts off them on ebay (and a lot more expensively at toyfairs and exhibitions!) you'll see that they are copies of European originals but tend to have lost some weight and detail in the copying process!! :mrgreen:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 am

I read somewhere that some of the polythene buildings produced by Hornby Dublo were made from the tools intended to produce them as die cast. I must check out which book it is. If the tools are interchangeable some of the later productions could be extremely cheap.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm

The first issue is out now for £2.99. It's a crude plastic model of mallard on a fixed plinth. The model itself is very detailed, including seperatley fitted hand rails and cab controls. Two driver seats are also modelled. The painting is awful with LNER letters faded but the nameplate is separate to the body which is nice. It is extremely light and of poor quality but in a display case, one would not notice anything wrong. The next issue is duchess of Hamilton and then flying Scotsman as preserved. Some lined up include city of Truro, a black 5, a bob class (streamlined) and a schools class. The magazine is poor and it is obviously aimed at the extreme beginner who does not know what powers a steam engine.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I read somewhere that some of the polythene buildings produced by Hornby Dublo were made from the tools intended to produce them as die cast. I must check out which book it is. If the tools are interchangeable some of the later productions could be extremely cheap.

I have one of them, a stone barn.

Must be older than me :o

Must be made of tough stuff as survived me as a child and 4 house moves. Don't have a place for it on my railway but it has value to me :D
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:54 am

I bought one today out of curiosity. I have to agree with some of the comments so far.

Misaligned pony truck resulting in the trailing pair of wheels not touching the rails, tender body separating along the floor line, flash inside the spokes of the driving wheels, tender wheels with toe-in or flat tyres, misaligned brake rigging, buffers that were not fitted correctly.

This was on one of the better examples I looked at, and those were the problems with it that I could see before I opened the box!

I would expect something better when they start charging the best part of £9 per issue...
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Tovidious

Postby Tovidious » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:45 am

I just subscribed today. I'm in the States so can't very well stop by any shop to pick them up. I'm having them sent to my friend in Bromley and will pick them up the next time I'm over. The quality doesn't concern me that much as I just want them to sit on shelves, and this is a lot cheaper then buying expensive working models.

When I called them I was originally transferred to someone in South Africa, for whatever that's worth. When I called back I spoke to someone in Bournemouth. Stuart, who I spoke with, emailed me this list of what they have planned as of now. He said there are supposed to be a total of 50.

1. Mallard and the ‘A4’ Class
2. Coronation and the ‘Duchess’ Class
3. Flying Scotsman and the ‘A3’ Class
4. The Churchward ‘2800’ Class
5. Stowe and the ‘Schools’ Class
6. The English Electric ‘Deltics’
7. Evening Star and the ‘9F’ Class
8. No. 44781 and the ‘Black Fives’
9. City of Truro and the ‘City’ Class
10. The Gresley ‘K3’ Class
11. The Bulleid ‘West Country’ Class (UR)
12. The Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’ Class
13. The Collett ‘Castle’ Class
14. No. 1000 and the ‘Compounds’
15. The BR standard ‘4MT’ tank class
16. Locomotion and the Early Pioneers
17. The Sulzer ‘Peaks’
18. Butler Henderson and the ‘Director’ Class
19. Collett 45xx small ‘Prairie’ Class
20. The ‘T9’ ‘Greyhound’ Class

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks for the list, Tov. Looks like they're making it up as they go along, as another list I've seen has at least two different classes (Western diesel and J39, of all things), but doesnt include several of those locos there.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 pm

16 Locomotion looks interesting, the only one was no obviuous rtr model to copy. The A4 seems to be a Hachette Mk1 like copy of the current Hornby A4 and offers great potential for anyone wanting to rebody an earlier A4, use up a spare A1/A3 chassis or turn into a streamlined B17, P2 or W1.

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Mike Parkes wrote:16 Locomotion looks interesting, the only one was no obviuous rtr model to copy. .

I thought that. But it says 'and the early pioneers', and some lists state 'Rocket' ...

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:35 am

Rocket was indeed on the list. I am not a fan of that sort of loco so I will skip that issue.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:13 am

lets look at this in the reality rather than comparing them to realistic models that are designed to be run and handled !!

our locomotives , take for example the A4 are in excess of £100.00 quid the magazine model was £3.00 did we ever realy think it was going to be in any way shape or form anywhere near the quality ???

they are however more than acceptable to make a display cabinet collection for non model railway collectors

they are what they are wich is cheap ornaments for a display cabinet and to that end they fit the bill superbly and job done very well !! if people can put them to use on a model railway job done

00 gauge is a nice display size it gives non model railway folks the chance to build a collection that would be prohibitively expensive buying Hornby etc if it boosts them into the hobby of model railways it can only be a positive thing

I haven't seen direct TV advertising by Hornby for many years , this product has used TV advertising therefore it may have indirectly launched many new members into the hobby

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:06 pm

tornado64 wrote:lets look at this in the reality rather than comparing them to realistic models that are designed to be run and handled !!

our locomotives , take for example the A4 are in excess of £100.00 quid the magazine model was £3.00 did we ever realy think it was going to be in any way shape or form anywhere near the quality ???

I take it that's a rhetorical question, because I dont see anyone actually making comparisons. I just see some pretty balanced appraisals of what you get for your money, which is fair enough AFAIC.

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:14 pm

They are good models, if you get a good one.It's a shame they are let down by shoddy assembly. At £3 its not a problem,but not so good when they go to their full price of £9.

tornado64

Postby tornado64 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:46 pm

at 9 quid they are still good value even if a little shoddy !! compare to other things you can buy for a tenner 2 bottles of wine , 1/5th of an evening out , 1.5 open wagons , 1/12th of a 00 tender loco (1/20th if sound fitted ) , 3 chippy meals , 2/3rds of a motorcycles tank of petrol

even if needing to put a couple of things back on it is still good value ( price of a magazine 3 quid so in reality about 6 quid so put in that context one fish and chip dinner !!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”