Tixeter Junction - UPDATE

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Re: Tixeter Junction - UPDATE

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Nice touch that board. Ive also seen white pannels painted on bridges to do the same job. Good bit of modelling :)

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:Nice touch that board. Ive also seen white pannels painted on bridges to do the same job. Good bit of modelling :)

Thanks Chief. Yes - I was talking to a friend about it and he mentioned that white panels on bridges were sometime used instead of the panel. I'm going to work on one of the other signals now, so there might be another picture in an hour or so.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Here's a picture of the latest signal to be added to the layout.

I have put it in place of the signal that I posted a picture of last Tuesday (that signal has been moved). The new signal controls (from left to right): connection to mainline, straight through loop (home and distant) and loop. I hope that I have got this right, it was done to the best of my ability using the instructions that Ratio supply. There is one more post in the pack of signals, it is the post for a junction signal but I've run out of the platform on which the other arms stand, so I will probably scratch build a platform from plastic sheet.

Thanks for looking.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Excellent layout skyblue.
Some great ideas to inspire us newbies. :D
Thanks for sharing.

end2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments End2end. I still count myself as a 'newbie' and I've learnt a lot from other members of this forum.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Here are two pictures of stock that I don't normally run (and one photo of more regular stock). The first two pictures show Tixeter in its preserved form (in my imagination).

First up a picture of my Austerity 0-6-0ST hauling two Mk2s and a Mk1.

Next a photo of a Class 47 at the head of a train of Mk2 coaches.

And back to normality with a picture of 6862 'Derwent Grange' at the head of a fitted goods passing Fowler 4F 44454 at the head of an unfitted coal train.

Thanks for looking and apologies for the poor quality of the photographs.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 pm

you've disappointed me skyblue, diesels! how could you? and blue and grey? I nearly dropped my tea! :lol:

I very much like the last picture though, not just because of hat's on the tracks, I love the couple of inches or so at the front, you've got that just right with the scraggly hedges and a few sheep trainspotting. Nice job on the signals too.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks flying scotsman! I put the last picture in to make up for those nasty blue and grey things! :lol: I knew what your reaction would be if I seemed to be going over to the dark (blue and grey) side!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Last time I saw diesels doing passenger services on my local railway I had to go on a steam tour to Mallaig to calm me down :lol:

In my mind diesels are only acceptable for shunting work, certainly not for the public, I'm sure I've heard odder stories about diesel fans than steam ones, like the person that fed a diesel smarties regularly, when it came to cleaning the cleaners were often amazed to find melted chocolate in the grills!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Nothing wrong with a good Blue diesel ........
At least I don't get many stalls from them !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 pm

I've come to accept first gen dmus as long as they are in green, but . Can't be doing with anything blue with yellow ends, they just have no soul compared to the old puffers. I mind them less in model railways as at least I can still admire the rest of the work, but I have to run away whenever my Local railway holds a diesel gala, and go and hide on the svr or other such :D

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Can't be doing with anything blue with yellow ends, they just have no soul compared to the old puffers.

What about the Class 52 Western (even in BR Blue)? I have heard it called an ''honorary steam locomotive'' - a good description in my opinion.

flying scotsman123 wrote:In my mind diesels are only acceptable for shunting work, certainly not for the public.

You're forgetting why diesels were introduced - to be more reliable than the steam locos they replaced. I can see why some preserved railways run diesel locos - they are generally more reliable (something I saw a couple of times in the summer when I was volunteering) and easier to start up at quick notice, so they get people where they want to go, when they want to be there. They might not do it with the same atmosphere as a steam loco (although some produce nearly as much smoke), but when its running a reliable service that matters I don't blame the managers of preserved railways for resorting to diesel haulage sometimes.

flying scotsman123 wrote:I'm sure I've heard odder stories about diesel fans than steam ones, like the person that fed a diesel smarties regularly, when it came to cleaning the cleaners were often amazed to find melted chocolate in the grills.

Not quite sure that one's true... :lol:
Last edited by skyblue on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Nothing wrong with a good Blue diesel ........
At least I don't get many stalls from them !!

Geoff T.

In all seriousness I do agree with you (I'm going to be in Flying Scotsman's bad books now for saying that :D !) . Until recently my most reliable locomotive was a BR Blue Class 37 (Triang-Hornby) that belongs to my dad. It's an OK low speed runner and can pull impressive loads. The noise is quite something! It's now been superseded in terms of reliability by my West Country.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:I love the couple of inches or so at the front, you've got that just right with the scraggly hedges and a few sheep trainspotting. Nice job on the signals too.

I might just have to plagiarise this modelling idea...if you dont mind skyblue :D
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:34 am

That's fine End2End - I'm not sure that what I did was anything new but if you want to copy it that's OK with me. I've copied things of other layouts on here - that 's the whole purpose of forums like this I suppose.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”