Currently without a name - my 6x4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
memyselfand1

Currently without a name - my 6x4

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:30 am

Since I've finished with the joyfulness that is high school, I now have time to think about, and at long last play with, my trains. And with the recent changes I've made and the arrival of a long-ago ordered set of trains, I may as well share with the internet.
The plan:
As at the 9th of December. I've created the diesel sidings at the bottom, rearranged the whole shed 1 branch and added the wagon storage. Pictures will be forthcoming when I have some additional time.

James

dubbleojon

Re: Currently without a name - my 6x4

Postby dubbleojon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 am

Is that definitely 6 by 4? it looks a lot longer than it is wide and I am sure i couldn't get that many straights in a 6ft length
What radius are your curves, can't quite make out the part numbers from your plan.
As a previous owner of a 6 by 4 i regretted cramming as much track as possible in as it left no room for scenery, which it turned out i quite enjoyed doing, however if you are not planning on having much scenery and just want as much track as possible to make it interesting to operate then i think you have succeeded,

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am

Do you have access all round the board? If for example the board is permanently in a corner or against a wall you may regret not having access to the back of the layout for cleaning and maintenance.
I would also question the detached pieces of track for "4 wheel wagon storage" better to store them below the layout on a shelf. Lastly I would be carefull with the length of the siding at the bottom station, the end of this siding looks too close to the curve, and you will find clearance issues.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 am

dubbleojon wrote:Is that definitely 6 by 4? it looks a lot longer than it is wide and I am sure i couldn't get that many straights in a 6ft length
What radius are your curves, can't quite make out the part numbers from your plan.
As a previous owner of a 6 by 4 i regretted cramming as much track as possible in as it left no room for scenery, which it turned out i quite enjoyed doing, however if you are not planning on having much scenery and just want as much track as possible to make it interesting to operate then i think you have succeeded,

It's 240mm x 120mm, my conversion may have been a little off. The curves are 2nd and 3rd radius, since I have Pacifics and my last layout with 1st radius caused some issues. Scenery isn't really my forte, yet, and so I am focussing on the running aspect. Thank you for your comments.

luckymucklebackit wrote:Do you have access all round the board? If for example the board is permanently in a corner or against a wall you may regret not having access to the back of the layout for cleaning and maintenance.
I would also question the detached pieces of track for "4 wheel wagon storage" better to store them below the layout on a shelf. Lastly I would be carefull with the length of the siding at the bottom station, the end of this siding looks too close to the curve, and you will find clearance issues.

Jim

The board is on wheels for that very reason.
In terms of the wagon storage, it's only temporary until I can sort out something better.
The siding on the station isn't close enough to cause issues with passing stock; I made sure of that.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am

As you have said you are not really interested in scenics, go for it. You may make a few mistakes along the way, but that is not a problem if you learn from them. Seldom do people ever get their first layout right.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:34 pm

Happy New Year! I've been busy fixing niggling little (very big) problems with my rails on a table. First of all, some pictures.
Depot 1 by followthetraintracks, on Flickr

Overhead view of depot by followthetraintracks, on Flickr

60154 Bon Accord running in by followthetraintracks, on Flickr

Finally, a new track plan (slightly). The issue with the outer curve was constant from the start; the only reason I picked it up was that everything would derail on the points at the top right (the most inaccessible part of the board, go figure). After my A4 took a tumble with my teak coaches, I closed off the line and tried to work out what was wrong. I replaced the point itself, thinking a faulty blade. I replaced the curve immediately following, wondering if that held the problem. Finally, I took up the entire curve on the right and relaid it. Therein lay the problem. I laid it badly the first time, resulting in a too tight curve. The only way to relay it properly and make it fit on the board was to move every single other piece of track 1 inch to the right, so I came up with a slightly more awkward but manageable track system. Eventually I would like the dead-end track into the station to be through running. Also I have gotten rid of the storage yard in the centre as I now have a proper shelf to store things on. I'm now trying to find a way of moving my carriage sidings into the middle, with access from below the diesel siding, as I now have too many carriages to fit the current sidings, and with more locos expected I will soon run out of space entirely. Also I would like somewhere to put some small freight wagons.

Layout Plan 1/1/14 by followthetraintracks, on Flickr

Progress now waits on the bundle of happiness arriving from Hattons (oil and wheels). Let me know what you think (:

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:43 am

That plan looks a little more managable, I wouldn't worry about not being able to fit everything on your layout at once, many of us struggle to fit everything and as you get more stock, you can break it down into individual running sessions with different time periods represented and stock not needed for that session safely tucked away on a shelf.

memyselfand1

No name - my temporary 6x4: New stuff, Heat and House

Postby memyselfand1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 am

Little progress. It's currently at least 40 degrees outside my bedroom, and not much better inside, so please excuse my grammar and probable lack of coherency.
Having rewheeled my new coaches from the Majestic set, from the ungodly plastic wheels to shiny new Dapol discs, I found a problem. This is that the axle for the dapol wheels are ever so slightly longer than the original Hornby offerings, resulting in a tighter fit in the bearings. As a result, with the three coaches rewheeled, the stiffness of the bearings was enough to make a bachmann 37 struggle and drag the wheels on the coaches, rather than turn them. Not ideal. I'm still working on a fix for this.

In other news, new arrivals! As a graduation present for myself, and because I found it incredibly cheap somewhere, a King Class - the Hornby Stamp Collection limited edition. Stamps and trains; two of my hobbies in one. I had wanted another Hornby King ever since I got my King Edward II, since the mechanism is incredibly smooth and strong and they look so classy.
Secondly, as an 18th birthday present from the incredibly understanding and impressively keen SWMBO, a Bachmann 37 in Railfreight Red Stripe. I had also wanted another Bachmann 37 because they're just awesome.

Both are still sitting in their boxes, unchipped and not run in, due to the fact that I'm shortly (this week) moving house. I'm moving 2 hours away for uni, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to have my trains with me. Space constraints, and the fact that I'm living with 3 friends, mean that I may have to leave it all behind. My stock list is steadily growing, meaning that I really need more space, rather than less. This layout was really intended to be temporary, hence the lack of ballasting and grass that was present on my previous attempt. It is also possible that the baseboard etc may have to be dismantled to save space in this current room - it's a rather small room, and this baseboard takes up around 65% of the total available space. There were major flaws in its planning and design (my father tends to do it and plan later), and it would be preferable to start again with a sturdy, well constructed baseboard, and in an end to end configuration rather than loop.
I haven't actually seen our house yet, and I have no idea what i'll be able to do.

Have a good day everyone

James

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 am

Ah the good ol' 6 x 4! To have the room for a good fun tailchaser is excellent. Good stuff so far mate keep it up.

Congratulations on graduating! The only way to reward yourself is with railway things :D

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Well...

If you've been following my workbench thread you'll have a fair idea of what's been happening.
If not:
- since my last post here, I've moved out of home, and subsequently moved again at the start of this year.
- I occasionally go home and run things, and complain that I have no room.

The track plan has changed a bit. Instead of the far outer loop running on the other side of the platform, it now runs along the inside, parallel to the inner track at the bottom. The engine sheds have moved to the middle of the board, coming off the turntable. Basically it's reverted to the very first plan in this thread, but with the sheds coming off the turntable and no platform 'spur'.

The No Room Argument
Since moving out, I have acquired:
    2 Hornby T9s (BR Black and Southern Unlined Black)
    A second School's Class (St Pauls)
    2 Bachmann 2-4-2 tanks
    Hornby Jinty
    6 Lima German locos, and assorted rolling stock (I think I'll build another layout for these...)
    Bachmann C Class (plain green - surprisingly not good runner)

This is in addition to (from memory):
    Merchant Navy 35028
    Schools Class (Blundell's)
    2 Hornby King Class
    A2 Pacific Bon Accord
    2 Bachmann Class 37s
    Bachmann Class 105
    Hornby Class 47
    5972 Hogwarts Castle
    Hornby Terrier
    Hornby A4 Sparrowhawk

As you can probably imagine, it's a little chaotic at best, doubly so when I try and run more than one thing at a time. Not being able to reach the far points is always a PITA too.
It's also frustrating having a number of Pacifics and 'long-range' locos with nowhere to really go, and having to move every loco from in front of the shed to get to what I feel like running. If I had a nice display cabinet, I'd just keep most things there and bring them out when I needed to run them, but that's not really possible.
My new house has a little room, but definitely not enough to run anything worthwhile. At the moment, my 'layout' on my desk consists of two pieces of Hornby curved track controlled by a Hornby Select, and that's usually kept in a drawer due to space. I've considered having modular boards under my bed that I could pull out, connect and run, but there's not really anywhere to set it up to run where a) there'll be more than one loop and b) where an errant demon cat won't decide that my T9 looks like a delicious chewtoy. Not to mention the cat fur...
The other option I've been toying with is reinstating the around-the-room that existed in my room up until a few years ago. Not only did it save more space, but it was a good size for running, had a pretty decent yard and was generally more practical. Except the drawbridge behind the door. That was a bad and very shortlived idea... The only issue is the parentals, who believed that the around-the-room was a much worse idea.
A third option would be a garden layout, but this would take some severe planning and research.

Photos:
On the left, the stuffed J72 and the Schools awaiting a decoder and fix to the hole in the tender, then Hogwarts Castle and the BR Black Lancashire Tank awaiting a decoder. In the sheds, everything else. Below the camera is the turntable. Off in the background are the two class 37s and one teak carriage (on reflection, the whereabouts of the other would be nice to know...), the class 47 and the A4, with the 105 on the far right.
Despite it looking like a shunting accident, there is in fact some space between the carriages in the top left (a whole couple of mls).

My desk layout, featuring the demon wondering if this thing moving backwards and forwards is edible. Or push-off-the-desk-able.

Until next time

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Since my last post:
- New dual track siding off the turntable behind the station.
- Bachmann C Class is now chipped, and runs superbly
- Lima parcels Railcar is still analogue, but runs surprisingly well
- New loco Bachmann A2 Bachelor's Button (on sale at my local shop) has been chipped and added to the running roster
- T9 314 has been removed from the running roster, pending either display or sale. It became apparent that the motor was not engaging the gears, or simply stalling. A decoder reset and new decoder failed to have any effect. This is along with the other T9, bought as a project, and sold because the motor had separated from the transmission
- 35028 is on the workbench at the moment, and it seems the boiler wight was removed to fit the sound decoder, thus explaining the poor traction
- 5972 was driving me up the wall, and is now on the mantelpiece
- Both Hornby School's Class are now chipped and running
- Both Bachmann tanks are chipped, but one is using a decoder from an N gauge loco with very incorrect settings that I cannot change
- A Hornby GNR no 1247 has been acquired - no idea what it's like, but I think it's the same chassis as the Terrier. The fun of adding a decoder awaits.
- 60154 and 47789 (both from The Majestic set) have been here awaiting upgrades for a while now.
- 60018 has a disconnected speedo which will need repair

The curves have also been identified as a track issue. A clacking noise was noticed at one spot, the middle of the curves on the outer right, where it seems an 8mil gap had formed between the joints. This changing the geometry leading to the points at the top right could only go badly. And that, children, is why we always nail down the bloody track.

I post more often on my Workbench thread since it's in my bedroom away from home, and most things pass over it before making it to the layout.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”