Mainline 4-6-0 maintenance

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Notroh

Mainline 4-6-0 maintenance

Post by Notroh »

Hi

I am returning to modelling after 40 odd years, everything I had was Triang then, haven't things changed....

I have acquired a Mainline 4-6-0 Jubilee class loco which runs but slowly. Any advice on what maintenance I can safely carry out to try and improve running?

Thanks in advance
Bigmet

Re: Mainline 4-6-0 maintenance

Post by Bigmet »

These have to be handled very carefully, the driving wheel assemblies and gears won't take any rough handling. Take the loco body off and put a dab of light oil on the motor spindle ends, then try powering the motor directly on the brush contacts at low speed. (I have seen Mainline motors long unused almost gummed up with the old lubricant.) If there are are any scraping noises from the motor it may need new brush carbons. If the motor turns freely and the loco goes faster following the treatment leave well alone generally, a very little oil on the crankpins and other rod joints will be enough.

Eventually you will need to lubricate the chassis; time enough to tackle that when it arises.
Notroh

Re: Mainline 4-6-0 maintenance

Post by Notroh »

Thanks for that, a real help.