Layout for my son - Eastfleet

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
westbrom

Postby westbrom » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:07 pm

Looking great there so far Paul. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Neil

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:52 pm

A bit of progress over the weekend but mainly planning.

Firstly, we've bought a couple of Christmas presents for my son from his list. One of the limited edition Class 466 Networker in South Eastern livery from Modelzone, and a Bachmann Virgin Voyager 3-car set.

Next, I've bought the Metcalfe Footbridge from Signal Box in Rochester and assembled that tonight so that it can form part of the new station complex.

Now that's done I know how long I need to cut the permanent supports for the upper section and I can get that mounted properly.

Lastly, my son has bought a Hornby switch for the colour light signal so we've wired that up only to find that the Green LED is loose and does not work unless you push it, so there's a loose connection. I'm not happy, especially given how much these Hornby signals cost!

I think I'll get a refund then buy a couple of Eckon ones and keep the change!

Paul

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Nice kit building Paul looks great. I never knew how good the metcalf footbridge looked.

Danny.

waz

Postby waz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:03 am

Hi Paul !!!

Wish I had a dad like you!!!

The bridge looks wonderful. Like Danny said, you made a great job of it. Metcalf do some great stuff.

Love to be at your house on Christmas Day.

My Best Regards

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am

Paul,

That's a blinding choice of model and a job well done. Just wondered though about the height of the bridge. It seems to sit a bit 'tall' over the top of the trains. There appears to be a platfrom-height-sized section that looks optional on the base of each stairwell. I wonder if you're supposed to omit these if you place them directly onto the platform. I only suggest this because it took me forever to convince my dad that the footbridge was 'too high'. It took a lot of persuading to make him look at the instructions again :wink:

Mind you, if I'm getting ahead of mi'self and you infact are placing it high on purpose, e.g. to fit in catenery then...d'oh, sorry! :oops:

Once again though, terrific model!

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:56 am

I was not originally planning on using the extra sections but when I tried it with the tallest wagon my son has it scraped on the bottom of the bridge. This is probably due to the cork under the track.

Also, the whole upper level is going to be lowered so that the underside is slightly below the bottom of the bridge so that the bridge butts up against the Metcalfe mainline station building.

The effect of the height is also exagerated because the Eurostar underneath is a HO Jouef model.

Paul

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:39 am

The footbridge looks great Paul.

Neil

BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 am

Great footbridge Paul, like infrontcat I noticed the optional bit at the bottom......but if it's the only way to get the largest wagon underneath.

Sorry to hear about the Hornby signal. As with much of their non rolling stock items, I find Hornby produce rubbish and get away with it on brand reputation. esp with points.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:09 pm

Sorry to hear about the Hornby signal. As with much of their non rolling stock items, I find Hornby produce rubbish and get away with it on brand reputation. esp with points.

Agreed, sadly.

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:18 pm

I agree, unfortunately when you give your 5 year old his pocket money and a model railway shop you can't pick and choose what he wants!!!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Bless him, he's a similar age to what I was when I was really first 'into' trains. My dad built me a simple, single line loop with a terminus, a reverse-bay'd station, some sidings for general stock storage, a small airfix engine shed and a little SuperQuick goods shed. Did me for years!

Good luck mate

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:32 pm

Paul , that footbridge looks brilliant 8)

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:22 am

hay have you tryed runing your 466 yet!

i dont know what outher are like but my one ...
jurks like hall! at slow speeds.
it like the moter dont get a full turn in making it jurk.

i probay tack it to modelzone with my samll DC power contro
look nice but if them all run like this dam that a bad make there hornby!

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 am

I tested it briefly and it seemed ok - quite noisy though.

I can't really run it anymore as it's my son's birthday present.

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:43 am

well there is quite noisy though and then there is this
it a sound that come over a phone
i just been on to the shop and he said that sound wrong so i going back and we test some outher ones! them got!

i tell you what hapions and if i get a bater sounding one i make a sound file of how it should sound!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”