Cash Convertors/Generator and the like

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Terrier

Re: Cash Convertors/Generator and the like

Post by Terrier »

Jill the stationcat wrote:
Terrier wrote:Not all, but most items would have been shoplifted or stolen, hate to be cynical on this, but in the fellowships i move in, names such as 'Hash-Converters' and 'Crack-Converter's tend to do the rounds whenever anyone talks about how they used to fund their expensive habits. However, it's down to them to buy stuff off people responsibly, so if it's in the window, or behind the bullet-proof glass, then it's fair play i suppose. But yeah, if your house/shed/garage/club room ever gets done over, and hopefully you have proof of ownership of your stuff, make a bee-line for Hash-Converters... cause the chances are, that's what the thieving tykes have done or plan to do, mark my words.

Chris P
Many years ago I stayed close to a town which had a Saturday 'market'. It was a standing joke* that if you asked 'certain stall holders' if they had xyz for sale the answer was along the lines of 'come back next weekend and I'll get it for you....and they evidently usually did (*it is alleged, as I never tested it :D )

So also try the local carpark markets/car boot sales as well!
Wasn't the old Charlotte Street Market in the centre of Pompey was it? ..long gone now, but sounds spookily similar :D

Chris P
Jill the stationcat

Post by Jill the stationcat »

Terrier wrote:
Jill the stationcat wrote:
Terrier wrote:Not all, but most items would have been shoplifted or stolen, hate to be cynical on this, but in the fellowships i move in, names such as 'Hash-Converters' and 'Crack-Converter's tend to do the rounds whenever anyone talks about how they used to fund their expensive habits. However, it's down to them to buy stuff off people responsibly, so if it's in the window, or behind the bullet-proof glass, then it's fair play i suppose. But yeah, if your house/shed/garage/club room ever gets done over, and hopefully you have proof of ownership of your stuff, make a bee-line for Hash-Converters... cause the chances are, that's what the thieving tykes have done or plan to do, mark my words.

Chris P
Many years ago I stayed close to a town which had a Saturday 'market'. It was a standing joke* that if you asked 'certain stall holders' if they had xyz for sale the answer was along the lines of 'come back next weekend and I'll get it for you....and they evidently usually did (*it is alleged, as I never tested it :D )

So also try the local carpark markets/car boot sales as well!
Wasn't the old Charlotte Street Market in the centre of Pompey was it? ..long gone now, but sounds spookily similar :D

Chris P
Not quite, say 15 miles West of Edinburgh along the M8 :)
m3lyc

Post by m3lyc »

I got a good laugh out of my local Cash Converters recently. I'm into rc cars, and in the window they had a basic bottom of the range 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver set, having not seen it before, but knowing what the basic ones go for new, I made an educated guess that it would have been around £50 new (I wasn't far off, the set in question has been discontinued but were £39 new on one of the biggest rc retailer websites new). I literally laughed out loud when I saw the price on the box - £179.99 (not a typo, that's a penny less than one hundred and eighty pounds). For £25 less than that you can get a top of the range one by one of the best 2.4ghz radio manufacturers in the world.
Good things come to those who wait.... On that basis I should be able to start building my layout soon!
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Sometimes they have games and the like for fair amounts of money but sometimes they are a lot savvier for rarer titles. My branch had a bunch of Final Fantasy titles for about £15 each, which is pretty expensive for games on that format nowadays.
johnco

Post by johnco »

I often do a trawl of the charity shops after a friend told me that a discontinued loco that I was after was in one of them at a reasonable price, but I haven't come accross any model railway items to date.
Robuk1981

Post by Robuk1981 »

Only items I've seen in cash converters were generic 80s hornby wagons at silly money.
old potts line

Post by old potts line »

I have recently had some good bargains off them thru ebay
Andrew-1976

Post by Andrew-1976 »

I was quite suprised today. Picked up an almost immaculate Lima class 37 "vulcan Enterprise" from cash convertor. The box is a little worn and the model is missing 3 of its buffers which just push in so not a big issue and easily replaced.
I spent an hour stripping it down and dismantling the entire loco and motor. The motor looks almost un run with the brushes as brand new. The body is unmarked and apart from the missing push in buffers its mint :)
It runs fantastically

The price.......well they were asking £24.99 which i think is steep for a used lima loco so i offered £15 and they did it for £14.99 :)

Happy days , well chuffed. The loco is so mint i was thinking of chipping it......although would still struggle to run it on my layout as i use kadeees and dont fancy butchering such a nice old model so might just enjoy it for what it is as i can run DC on my layout if i want but would only have very limited stock for it but for £14.99 i cant complain :)