Model shops in York

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Jonny

Re: Model shops in York

Post by Jonny »

I guess you could make the argument it's a railway museum first and a gift shop second, but then on the other hand there are extensive displays by both Hornby and Bachmann, and three working model railway layouts... :?
b308

Post by b308 »

As you say it's a Gift Shop not a Model Railway Shop, so the lack of selection is not surprising, they'll only stock what sells wheras a decent MR shop will stock lots of "slow" items...
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I know its a gift shop but i bet they get allot of enthusiasts that would result in the demand for it

but in the end it was quickly forgotten had a fabulous time and visited more model shops last week then the whole year put together :lol:

my favourite was the Scarborough model shop - The Train Shop - lovely shop with a really big selection loved looking around it

Very closely followed by the NYMR engine shed gift shop based in Grosmont which had a really nice selection of bits and bobs and very friendly staff - there is another model shop right next to the station in Grosmont which had a large selection however was a tad expensive. Also got a collection of books from the second hand bookshop next to this model shop which is defiantly worth a visit - only downside was carrying back 3 bags full of books and one of trains on the train :lol:

Popped into 53A Models in Hull which is also a very good model shop huge selection with good prices - they had all of the Bachman trains out of the boxes sitting in their 'ice cube' plastic bits which was a nice way of doing it as you got to see all of the loco without having to take it out of the box - only thing was i could not tell which was which but thats more down to my lack of knowledge :P

finally got myself one of these from antiques shop in York:

First time buying something from antiques shop so feeling little but older :lol: it works just need to source a key for it
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Wow, that's a great find!