Best place to buy N-gauge stuff online?

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Michaelaface

Best place to buy N-gauge stuff online?

Post by Michaelaface »

Hey all, I was just wondering where would the best place to buy N-gauge stock online? best as in cheapest/trustworthy

I normally model in OO, but I'd like to give N gauge a go, I usually use hattons to get everything, theyre usually the cheapest and their delivery times are usually fairly good (for me anyway)

how ever when it comes to N gauge practically everything is out of stock, I had a look about ebay and couldnt find much either, mostly locos I'm not interested in (I only want steam locomotive era stuff)

so yeah where would you all recommend?

thanks
Michaela
hiffano

Re: Best place to buy N-gauge stuff online?

Post by hiffano »

well, Hattons has never let me down, but alternatively, i would strongly reccomend Kernow. super quick service, some good bargains (though mostly diesel i admit)
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

I agree, for me hattons is usually great for OO, but the N gauge listings are full of things like this and I just don't get it?

"ND146
Dapol
Southern Region Freight Set (1x Terrier loco 3x Coal Wagons) (Never before released name and numbers). Due mid 2011
N Gauge
On order - Price to be arranged"

due 2 years ago? what?
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

they put things on when advised of release by Dapol and or Farish, but they tend not to remove them when the release dates slip, horrendously for some stuff to be sure.
It's sort of a way of keeping track on "coming soon", but they won't be removed until said item is actually cancelled by dapol/farish (such as the class 222) . Hattons won't, or at least shouldn't take the money until the item is guranteed to be with them with so many weeks.

it's a pain, but the fault should really lie with dapol and farish for the delays. perhaps better website manegement would be preffered, but it's a small although frustrating problem.
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

its just frustrating for me because the only things I can find in stock are all like £90+ just for a loco, and I don't really want to be spending that much for a gauge I haven't got any experience in yet
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

what specifically are you after, BR, big 4, express, freight, tank etc?

there are "usually" B1's in either :LNER green or BR black for circa 60, and it is a lovely model.

here http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pr ... _1252_LNER

50 notes.
will cost you 60 for a BR black one.
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

thats more like it! great suggestion!

ideally smaller locos as the space i have is extremely limited

as for era, not sure yet, depends on whats available and affordable, but looking LNER/BR now aha
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

well, in BR black, i am told they got about a bit, so could mix in with a new Dapol Pannier for £60? then pick up coaches and wagons. I got a 4MT from Kernow for £40, but the offer ended. keep checking the bargains pages of rails, hattons and kernow as well as any others you know.
I got a 2 tone green 47 for £45 too, but that shop got bought out. but by being patient you can often get cheaper ones.
Hattons had the new farish stannier 5 cheap recently. just be wary of older designs going cheap as they might be a pain to DCC... assuming you plam going dcc!
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Hello Michaelaface,

Not necessarily cheapest, but usually fully stocked and with good customer service is Gaugemaster:
http://www.gaugemaster.com/ngauge.html

Any particular ideas for a layout if you find you like the scale?
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

SouthernBoy wrote:Hello Michaelaface,

Not necessarily cheapest, but usually fully stocked and with good customer service is Gaugemaster:
http://www.gaugemaster.com/ngauge.html

Any particular ideas for a layout if you find you like the scale?
I've had brief look on there before, but I shall look again

and I'm not sure I had been planning a small OO layout for my room but once I'd made a mock up of it I wasn't really satisfied, the lack of space would really limit operations

however in N I could probably get something quite good out of the space being that its roughly half the size

(avaliable space being roughly 1.8m x 30cm)
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

That's a reasonable space - is there room to have a plug-in or fold-down extension at the end or to one side for a return loop or something for 'operating days' (when your not actually modelling?)

I remember you used to be into finescale track. Have you thought about going 2mm finescale, or there's also fiNetrax: a new system in development using code 40 rail but made to N gauge tolerances?

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index ... pic=3280.0

Either way good luck!
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

SouthernBoy wrote:That's a reasonable space - is there room to have a plug-in or fold-down extension at the end or to one side for a return loop or something for 'operating days' (when your not actually modelling?)

I remember you used to be into finescale track. Have you thought about going 2mm finescale, or there's also fiNetrax: a new system in development using code 40 rail but made to N gauge tolerances?

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index ... pic=3280.0

Either way good luck!
well I have other plans for potentially that, but I really need to start of with something small, for the sake all my modelling, learn how to do everything properly and actually finish it!

that was my idea with a OO layout but it'd be more of a diorama than anything else, in N i could probably fit a decent terminus with fiddle yard in the same space

and as far as I can tell 2mm finescale is epicly small, I've looked through quite a few layouts and it looks amazing, but looks really difficult! my 4mm work was a bit hit and miss so yeah RTR track to start with! >_<