Bittern at 90mph

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
hornbyandbf3fan

Bittern at 90mph

Post by hornbyandbf3fan »

Does anyone know the times? As I'd like to film this
Thanks
15 and a railway fan, something very rare now
My youtubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/hornbyandbf ... ature=mhee
markh

Re: Bittern at 90mph

Post by markh »

hi hornbyandbf3fan do you know where bittren is coming from or going to & on which line & the date then all you have to do is pic a good spot & just sit & wait

mk
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
b308

Post by b308 »

One Google Search later:

http://railways.national-preservation.c ... 013-a.html

Just as long as we don't have to slow down for it!! :lol:
Old Man Phil

Post by Old Man Phil »

Having read all the National Preservation poop, I would be inclined to think that the attempt would be made on Stoke Bank at around milepost 90 1/14 where the record was set. Even the date seems like a likely candidate too.
Milepost.jpg
Milepost.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
hornbyandbf3fan

b308 wrote:One Google Search later:

http://railways.national-preservation.c ... 013-a.html

Just as long as we don't have to slow down for it!! :lol:
I meant what time will it go through a certain station. I know the dates. I can't just go and wait as I'd need my mum to drop me off :)
hornbyandbf3fan

While I'm at it, anyone know any good spots near Newark? :D
b308

Post by b308 »

Old Man Phil wrote:Having read all the National Preservation poop, I would be inclined to think that the attempt would be made on Stoke Bank at around milepost 90 1/14 where the record was set. Even the date seems like a likely candidate too.
It shouldn't have any problem getting up to 90 on any flat bit, most express steam engines of that era were doing that all the time... It was getting above 100 and staying there for any worthwhile length of time that was the issue!

I'd agree that it would be an appropriate place, though I'd have thought that 100mph would be more suitable... At least if it's down there it wouldn't cause us any issues if it breaks down with overheated bearings!
Rich5ltr

Post by Rich5ltr »

The UK Steam Tours web site is most useful. You can drill into it to see routes, station timings, return workings etc. etc. I imagine you will find the run you are asking about on there. http://www.uksteam.info/tours/
hornbyandbf3fan

Rich5ltr wrote:The UK Steam Tours web site is most useful. You can drill into it to see routes, station timings, return workings etc. etc. I imagine you will find the run you are asking about on there. http://www.uksteam.info/tours/
I had a luck yesterday, but it wasn't on. However, it's now been updated. :?
Old Man Phil

Post by Old Man Phil »

Got a Facebook message from my old Trainspotting buddy in South Africa last night. It appears that there will be 3 scheduled 'tours' in June/july and all three will be attempts to top 90 mph. One of them will attack the stretch between York and Darlington on the Northallerton straight. In 1960 I timed A1, 60135, Madge Wildfire in excess of 90 mph along this stretch because we were running late out of York. The major factor to bear in mind is that in 1938, the 7 coach train was empty apart from the Westinghouse crew. What Bittern has to cope with is at least 10 coaches full to the brim with spectators and a damn inspector on the footplate ready to stomp on any kind of 'fun' if things aren't perfect.
b308

Post by b308 »

Come on Phil, you sound like you're trying to make excuses for it already, if it ain't up to the job of getting to 90 with a ten coacher then let a proper express engine do it... I think Colin will agree that a Duchess is the natural choice and you can add a few more coaches as well! :wink: :mrgreen:

Blair
Old Man Phil

Post by Old Man Phil »

No, no, you mis-understand. The last thing these events need is a 'Fat Controller' ranting on about safety becaause the coaches are filled to overflowing. If Bittern is in top condition then she can be thrased just like she used to be in the good old days 50 years ago. And lets face it...that's why people are coming to the show.
b308

Post by b308 »

90mph isn't really thrashing it, though, is it? Thrashing a loco normally relates to hard acceleration, braking and hill climbing, running on level or slightly downhill stretches at 90 I wouldn't have thought would be regarded by the old school drivers as thrashing it? They were built to run at that speed day in day out... I take your point about the idiots who decide to stick their heads out of the windows or the spotters getting lineside when they shouldn't be (inside the fence for those of you non railwaymen types) and the reaction of the Inspector to such behaviour, but as far as the mechanical side of the loco is concerned then it should be up to that sort of speed without any issues!
Bushey Troughs

Post by Bushey Troughs »

b308 wrote:Come on Phil, you sound like you're trying to make excuses for it already, if it ain't up to the job of getting to 90 with a ten coacher then let a proper express engine do it... I think Colin will agree that a Duchess is the natural choice and you can add a few more coaches as well! :wink: :mrgreen:

Blair
Blair, these words you speak are true. :wink:
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

senorsenales

Post by senorsenales »

I think people tend to forget that speeds of 90+ plus were being achieved on a regular basis in the days of steam.

My own personal records are of a Merchant Navy on the Down ACE at 100mph on Honiton Bank, and many reports in the Loco Performance pages of Trains Illustrated show that that those sorts of speeds were not that unusual, and with a big and heavy train in tow.

Most WCML trains were a Coronation and sixteen coaches, and for two years there was an express from North Wales that used to have to terminate at Watford because it was too big to get into Euston. A Princess Royal and nineteen on and it was no sluggard if it had a clear road.

Just because it was steam, and getting old and knackered, didn't put off an enthusiastic crew if they had the right engine. I have a tape recording of 34006 Bude leaving Eastleigh back in 1964/5 sometimes, and although they weren't getting it up to 90mph they seemed to be having a jolly good go from a standing start ! Still raises the hairs on the back of my neck listening to it now !