Hornby Thompson O1

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
PeterH

Hornby Thompson O1

Postby PeterH » Wed May 23, 2012 4:22 pm

How do all,

The first images of Hornby's new 2-8-0 O1 can be seen below.

Looks promising! Let us hope the haulage power will be respectable!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Thompson O1

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Handsome beastie isn't it? If the pictures can be trusted, then Hornby have neatly concealed the motor and gear train at the firebox end of the boiler; that should leave a large volume in the front half of the boiler plus the smoke box available to take weight for good traction. Hopefully, the decoder socket will be in the tender. It also looks like the loco to tender link is a screw on from underneath, that too is potentially good news for those of us who like to shorten this to scale distance so that the fall plate (which I can just see under the cab doors) nicely covers the gap to the tender step.

Really unexpected model, and Hornby do look to be making a good job of it.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:48 am

One of the best looking goods engine ever I think!
Thomas
SOUTHERN FOR SUNSHINE

6C

Postby 6C » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Thomas wrote:One of the best looking goods engine ever I think!
Thomas

Don't know about that - but a seriously distinctive one !
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 pm

The original masters of the 'Annesley Runners' before the 9F's made them their own, occasionally seen at Southall off Woodford to Acton freights, there's no way I'm not gonna have one.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:55 am

Give me an 8K anyday. Far better looking machine/

bocaj

Postby bocaj » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm

They look to be a very good model coming out! Hopefully it will have alot of good detail on her. As posted before, hopefully the decoder will be in the tender, but without the annoying plug thing. It's okay for me with them as I've got one of them tools for removing them, however they are still very fiddly to get in and out, and then still make sure it is not going to cause a derailment.

Jacob :)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

The service diagram has been posted on Hornby's site. It has the decoder socket in the tender - and a plug in wire connection.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:29 pm

My father worked on at least 3 of these conversions in 'the tank' so I'll be buying 3 as soon as they appear. Recent Hornby locos have been really excellent so am looking forward to they production and some of the others that are due as well.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Had one about a week now and, ooh, it is a fine model. Icing on the cake, Hornby seem to have put an exceedingly sweet running mechanism in this loco. Bit of dirt is coming its way to make it look like an honest freight slogger, altogether too crisp and clean as received. They never looked like that, other than ten minutes out of Doncaster Plant following a general repair visit and repaint.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:11 am

Its got that stupid Hornby cam geared front pony truck on it hasn't it.......

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am

So far no trouble from it on mine, and it doesn't move backwards and forwards noticeably either. The pony truck on the O1 is longer from the axle to the pivots than on the L1 which may be significant. (The two L1s I have weren't happy at all on my layout, and the simplest option was to convert the trucks to single pivot which behaves as it should.)

Best solution would still be for Hornby to drop this daft device...

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 am

It was rubbish when they dreamt it up way back in the 70s, so why do they continue with it when its been shown by many modelers on every loco so fitted that a simple pivot works fine?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 am

I suspect that the radius 1requirement is still a live issue. Whatever it may say on the box, Hornby probably have a fair sized customer base who really want everything to run on rad 1. A decade ago I found a model shop owner testing a new item on rad 1, and that was exactly his position. He reckoned 40% of his customers would expect the new item to run on first radius, and he was going to make sure that they would be satisfied by being able to give advice, and if necessary for customers make any adjustments. As he put it: the 1973 catalogue shows a layout with a rad 1 curve on an incline; so that's what the product has to conform to. However much the manufacturer might want to move on, the customer's layout is established, and the trains have to run on it.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:41 pm

In my other modelling interest, outdoor garden railways, the major manufacturer, Marklin-LGB, still insists on the 'R1' rule. Everything made must conform with R1 curves (four foot DIAMETER). This does lead to serious compromises in the design and rubbery scale of their models. Like other scales, car lengths are compromised to conform to the R1 curves. Sheer lunacy!!!!!!!

Other manufacturers have generally seen the light and build to more reasonable curve constraints with more scale oriented models as a result. I believe that if one models with small diameter curves then one must accept the constraints on what may be feasible to operate on their railways. Many prototype railways (not UK based ones) started life as narrow gauge and then as time progressed the tracks and equipment were upgraded to standard gauge. Maybe those with small curves need to think about some upgrades to be able to comfortably use modern equiopment.

Tim

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”