What has Wonder Rail been up to this week? H Class - Pg1

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
tom92240

What has Wonder Rail been up to this week? H Class - Pg1

Postby tom92240 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Hi all,

Been working steadily on building some kits for other people to boost skills, and their layouts.

My current project is an interesting one, to me anyway, which is a whitemetal body kit in O16.5 of a Manning Wardle locomotive based on Yeo, Taw and Exe on the Lynton and Barnstaple, which I know comparatively little about and as a result am learning a lot about the railway and it's locomotives as I go.

The locomotive fits onto a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prarie chassis which is modified to accept the body, and makes this locomotive different from other L&B ones as it will feature Walschaerts valve gear and inside frames.

The guy who wants this completed has taken this as an advantage, and come up with a fictional new-build locomotive, numbered 195 and named "Sid" after the East Devon river.

The photos above show the build of the body and that with some fairly absorbing work, I was able to construct this in a matter of hours which flew by.

About 6 hours later, and not knowing where the day went, the locomotive body was practically finished.

This photo also shows the chassis with modified pony trucks but awaiting the ends of the frames to be removed.
Last edited by tom92240 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom92240

Re: Wonder Rail Works - Slimrails L&B Manning Wardle O16.5

Postby tom92240 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Some progress:

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Further progress: after having airbrushed the body, hand-painted the smaller parts such as the brass and the headstocks, the loco was ready to receive transfers which were supplied by Fox.

Locomotive was varnished with Railmatch Satin aerosol acrylic. Not overly happy with the transfer backing sheet showing through, though 1 side is better than the other, and the varnish has left some water staining too.

Some more work required! Locomotive still needs smokebox door handles, and handrails, as well as the cab finishing off.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

alot of progress very quickley, but its attention to detail that matters, the loco looks great, but i can clearly see the homemade transfer... I think if you left the loco un varnish it probably would of matched the Matt Black colour.... Need to blend that in a bit more, with a small brush and satin black. You can get away with a small amount but not that amount, sadly sticks out like a sore thumb round the Southern lettering.

Sorry for being harsh, and i know your still adjusting to the making of transfers but you need to blend them in with the paint work.... or that happens.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

mattymay05 wrote:Sorry for being harsh, and i know your still adjusting to the making of transfers but you need to blend them in with the paint work.... or that happens.

On the contrary! Criticism is good, no matter how harsh in this game, it is helpful to learn and progress, especially with the help given on DIY transfers, and I absolutely agree that it doesn't look great, however...

mattmay05 wrote:but i can clearly see the homemade transfer...

tom92240 wrote:the loco was ready to receive transfers which were supplied by Fox.

And thus I was really not expecting the backing paper to show through so obviously!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

sorry must admit i didn't see the Fox transfer part, as i was writting it on my phone, all be have to admit ive had the same problem on SECR transfers... plus applying varnish a good day after the transfer had been applied, and the backing / Clear part going wrinkley...

What i suspect whats happened on yours... is one side was better applied than the other... did you apply varnish before or after the transfers?
As it looks like one was applied better and sealed the paint behind / protected it from getting the varnish, thus having a different shade of black... or Matt black... where as the rest has gone Satin.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:04 pm

mattmay05 wrote:sorry must admit i didn't see the Fox transfer part, as i was writting it on my phone, all be have to admit ive had the same problem on SECR transfers... plus applying varnish a good day after the transfer had been applied, and the backing / Clear part going wrinkley...

What i suspect whats happened on yours... is one side was better applied than the other... did you apply varnish before or after the transfers?

Not to worry :P Both sides were varnished prior to putting on the transfers so it's a little bit of a mystery as to why its come out so badly. I followed their application instructions to the letter to ensure they came out well. Have also emailed them to ask for advise of fixing it and future application methods.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Ok that is very odd... as the colour behind it looks like it did before varnish... how odd... hope you find a solution, as im scratching my head on that one....

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 am

Well ashamedly, Fox have yet to reply to my contact, however we will see how the 4mm versions come out when I put transfers onto the OO Works H!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Nice look forward to that, thought you sold it... should look good in that livery.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:09 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Nice look forward to that, thought you sold it... should look good in that livery.

No, no. I wasn't really happy with it in BR Black, I didn't think OO Works did a great job on it, so I kept it as a bit of a project to add new pickups etc.

Menawhile, had a reply from Fox who merely said, and I quote the entire e-mail...

We always specify 'gloss' varnish
Lynda

I'm not sure whether to be disgruntled by the complete bluntness and lack of any real advise that I asked for or not! Besides, their instructions "recommend" gloss, what if I don't want a glossy finish?

:shock:

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

tom92240 wrote:I'm not sure whether to be disgruntled by the complete bluntness and lack of any real advise that I asked for or not! Besides, their instructions "recommend" gloss, what if I don't want a glossy finish?

:shock:

Overcoat with satin or matt varnish.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Un-real... i have to say Fox transfers... they are good but... some of the instructions for their transfers... do leave one scratching their head... Its a shame they cannot give a useful solution... I spray mine with Satin... I've done so with Gloss as well... and had problems as well.. its more of a guideline the instructions..

tom92240

Re: What has Wonder Rail been up to this week? H Class - Pg1

Postby tom92240 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Further to the Fox transfers issue, bought some more, albeit 4mm ones for my OO Works H, and this is how it turned out:

Some background, the locomotive was bought a couple of years ago for Whimsey Hill and was in BR Black as no. 31305, and I was never overly happy with it, and she has sat around ever since until recently where she had a quick repaint and put into SR Wartime black, sand pipes added and a few other small detailings.

noel

Postby noel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:36 pm

+
Re. Fox Transfers

tom92240 wrote:
mattmay05 wrote:
I'm not sure whether to be disgruntled by the complete bluntness and lack of any real advise that I asked for or not!

Has anyone had experience of getting a Quote from them for printing transfers?

+

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”