Tom92240's Workbench - 7mm LMS Dining Car - Page 1

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
tom92240

Tom92240's Workbench - 7mm LMS Dining Car - Page 1

Postby tom92240 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi all,

Been doing a lot of modelling over the last year, mainly concentrating on building Parkside Dundas Felix Pole wagons for Mr Hull.

Other projects have include a Slaters GW 3000 Gallon Milk Tank for a friends retirement present.

More recently, however I have been working on a small repaint and I thought I should kick off my Workbench thread with this!

The West Lulworth Railway is home to many of my own locomotives and kitbuilts, and plays host to PendanticMongrel's stock quite often. One of the first carriages to arrive was a 68' 12 Wheel LMS Dining car, (I think it is Diagram 1938) which was in LMS Period III livery.

As the layout is meant to reflect a BR period, a repaint has been on the cards. The deal was once the Summer season was out the way and the last "dining train" had run, the carriage would be taken out of service and given some maintenance as well as a minor overhaul and repaint.

Well that day came, and the carriage was taken home, stripped down so that the sides had a good keying surface and none of the old transfers show though and given a coat of primer

Following this, 2 coats of JLTRT "Spray Away" Maroon were applied to the sides. 2 coats of Black applied to the ends and underframe, and 2 coats of Silver applied to the roof

Next stage is to apply the lining, which I shall probably do this evening. That'll be as far as I can go until Wednesday when the vehicle returns to the West Lulworth C&W shops for lettering, and some windows!

Stanier

Re: Tom92240's Workbench - 7mm LMS Dining Car - Page 1

Postby Stanier » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:43 am

D 1923small.jpg
D 1923small.jpg (169.24 KiB) Viewed 1843 times

Did your final paint job look like this?
I am completing my 4mm layout of Killiecrankie. I am the LMS Society carriage person.

sleeper

Postby sleeper » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Tom,
It's good to see this type of thread coming through, however you have 'glossed over' [pardon the pun] some of the details. For instance who are JLTRT who's paint you used? did you use an airbrush? etc.
I'm looking forward to the final details of this project, so keep us posted. It would be good to see some of the other projects too, if you have any pictures.

Stanier

Postby Stanier » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:19 pm

JLTRT = Just Like The Real Thing. Pete Waterman's kit manufacturing outfit. I dealt with them for lost wax brass castings and found them efficient and helpful. They sell a range of paint in spray cans. I haven't used them myself so can't comment on how they perform.

Before you ask, the photo I sent is of a 4mm model built from a '5522' kit.
I am completing my 4mm layout of Killiecrankie. I am the LMS Society carriage person.

tom92240

Postby tom92240 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Completely forgot about this thread!

Stanier: Wrong livery i'm afraid!

Sleeper: JLTRT is Just Like the Real Thing, as Stanier already mentioned. On this occasion, the carriage body was sprayed with a can, though I usually use airbrush, and the roof was airbrushed. Further to that, some people added to the interior, and an old shirt has donated it's material for the curtains in the 1st class areas!

The carriage, now finished and in service, looks like this:

Tom

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”