any more Heljan class 58's to come out ?

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
eagle50043

any more Heljan class 58's to come out ?

Post by eagle50043 »

does anyone know if Heljan will be releasing any more R/F or coal sector liveried class 58's ?

it would be great if they released some power station named one's!

Ive been to there site but its all in foreign lol.........

I missed out on getting one before, and they seem hard to get hold of brand new from shops,
they only seem to have the mainline branded grey ones (bit crap)......

thanks.
Bigmet

Re: any more Heljan class 58's to come out ?

Post by Bigmet »

You would do best to make an enquiry of Howes of Oxford, who act as their UK agent. You may have to wait a while (they have a big new release list to work through) but they do return to earlier productions and churn them in new liveries, if the demand is there. The class 47 was their first UK loco product, and every now and again more appear, for example.

The general rule though, with OO RTR from all makers now being produced in fairly small batches, often with lengthy waits between runs:

If you see a release that is 'perfect' for your modelling interest, get out there and buy it pronto.

Consider placing an advance order if there seems to be significant interest expressed on line. I missed out on a couple of items on returning to railway modelling, because I had the old mindset of 'if it is in the catalogue it wil be on sale for the next three years at least'. Not these days it isn't. Blink and you miss it sometimes. Those particular items I missed never got re-run, but watching and waiting finally saw 'as new' specimens offered s/h at sensible prices - so there is the other alternative - if patience is in your possession.
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

I spoke directly to Heljan and they have no plans to re-release the 58s in any livery.

I just managed to pick one up in Railfreight, first impressions are good and will give it a run on the layout later this evening.
All Aboooooard !!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Is there an issue with these class 58s for Heljan to ditch the model?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Nothing seriously amiss at all, by the account of a friend who operates several in his circa 1990 freight heaven. Famously, there was a livery error in the early releases ( 'Mainiine' if I remember rightly) but that apart it is a good model, with Heljan's usual refined drive. After the first releases they hung around on retailer sites with progressively bigger discounts until they finally went; so my guess is that the demand for this class is relatively limited, and it will be a while before any further issues are seen.
iankemp

Post by iankemp »

I am glad I got mine when I did. I got Class 58001 just as they were selling out. It has got a decoder in and it runs like a dream. It is a lot better than the Hornby model by a long shot!
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

Olivias Trains have announced another batch:

http://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mod ... -class-58/